No Breeding

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
I forgot again. What's wrong with breeding to get more pokemon?

Future~Sight

Youngster
Website
www.matmartinez.net
I mean you'll have to care for, feed and educate the child for years before he can make a new account to catch Pokemon to transfer them to you. Nothing 'wrong' with it, but there are easier ways.

Of course, breeding Pokemon endlessly in a MMO environment, and churning out 'perfect' IVs Pokemons would increase barriers to growth for new players and devalue all Pokemon in the economy.

Last edited:

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
I forgot again. What's wrong with breeding to get more pokemon?
Would ruin the point of hunting and kill the economy. Why buy good pokemon if you can just breed for the IVs you need? Breeding is perfectly fine in the official games but it really doesn't mesh well with an MMO environment especially one with an in game economy like PWO.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I should note that the PWO Team has never ruled out implementing breeding; however, we have yet to find a workable mechanism that would not devalue caught Pokémon to a significant degree or make hunting unnecessary.

Isguros

Youngster
Stuff like this won't happen if it's worthwhile to do so, but unless it's worthwhile people won't be interested.

thunderclap

Youngster
What if you had to give 4 or 5 of the same pokemons to a Mad Scientist npc in order to get 1 pokemon with random IVs?

Eg. give 5 bad Dratinis, get 1 random Dratini. Could be in the form of an egg, which would give an additional shiny chance :)

Edit: eggs are great for PWO because they force people to play in order to hatch them

Last edited:

shodan21

Youngster
What if you had to give 4 or 5 of the same pokemons to a Mad Scientist npc in order to get 1 pokemon with random IVs?

Eg. give 5 bad Dratinis, get 1 random Dratini. Could be in the form of an egg, which would give an additional shiny chance :)

Edit: eggs are great for PWO because they force people to play in order to hatch them

interesting idea... perhaps somehow scale it based on rarity tier? i.e., you only need to trade in, say, 1 t1, but you'd need 2 t2s, 3 t3s, etc. (or scale it to 2 * tier, or tier^2, etc.)... hmm.

thunderclap

Youngster
interesting idea... perhaps somehow scale it based on rarity tier? i.e., you only need to trade in, say, 1 t1, but you'd need 2 t2s, 3 t3s, etc. (or scale it to 2 * tier, or tier^2, etc.)... hmm.
That would be a good idea too. I suggested high numbers because it helps reduce the oversupply situation we have though. Trading 1 for 1 would never be fair, since you could trade it until you get one with perfect IVs. Maybe 2 t1s, 3 t2s, 4 t3s, 5 t4+ or UC. For this to work the tier system would have to be more transparent...

...Currently it takes a lot of work to determine what tier a pokemon is, at its easiest catching location. You have to type the /list command to find all maps with the target pokemon, and then /list for each of those locations, since the tier isn't listed beside the locations. You better have a paper and pen ready. There's the wiki but it's super out of date in terms of tiers. See this thread for more of my thoughts/suggestions on this subject: https://forum.pokemon-world-online....emon-locations-when-using-list-command.38451/

Forgot to mention, it'd be nice if this breeding/scientist NPC worked with shinies too. Trade 4-5 bad shiny magikarps for 1 random shiny karp egg. I think for the price/work involved in hatching, that would be fair for the economy and maybe not even worthwhile for any but the most determined/motivated players.

One more thing: only pokes caught after the implementation date should be trade-able. This would incentivize hunting, and not give old players an advantage.

Last edited:

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Stuff like this won't happen if it's worthwhile to do so, but unless it's worthwhile people won't be interested.

Well said. Exactly.

Allowing Breeding wouldn't ruin the economy. Most of the pokemon hatched from eggs would be worthless.

Rare Pokemon are set to an extremely low spawn rate to help control how many get introduced into the game. The Same Thing is done with EGGS. Deeming an Egg to take 30 hours of ACTUAL GAME PLAY to hatch controls how fast we can actually BREED these new rares so we don't completely over run the economy, AND, gives players a 100% chance to get the pokemon they're looking for so players like me can grind and work towards a Goal. AND, it might force players to ACTUALLY PLAY the game instead of just showing up during EVENTS.

And no one said that breeding in an MMO has to be done the same way as the official games, though that would be nice since with skill, and time, we could actually get results (which brings me back to the quote at the top of this message). Which is what I hate about this game. There's literally no skill involved when it comes to getting pokemon. Just sit, and wait, and hope, what you want spawns and hits the jackpot on the IVs.

Even if each bred pokemon IVs were completely Random, that would help. I HATE hunting with a burning passion. Sitting here never knowing IF I'll even FIND the Pokemon I am Looking For! At best, breeding allows me to double up on my hunting. I HAVE to do SOMETHING while the egg hatches. That in no way would eliminate hunting. I could encounter 1 T4 every 8 hours, so I only get 2 per day. But it could take 4 times that to hatch an egg, so I still have a need to hunt to increase the amount of chances I get at a good set of IVs.