NEW Players Guide.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Firstly, here are the rules: http://www.pokemon-world-online.net/rules.php

DOWNLOADING THE GAME CLIENT:

http://forum.pokemon-world-online.net/showthread.php?tid=25997

Now to LOGIN ISSUES:

*Problem: You try to log in but get the "User already in System" error.
Solution: In some cases logging into the Playerdex will help, in others only a server restart will fix this issue. Reply here: http://forum.pokemon-world-online.net/showthread.php?tid=9111 post on @PWO_ Twitter or log into IRC Chat to let us know you have this error and a manual restart will be arranged asap.
Explanation: This is a recurring glitch which only effects some players. At this point we don't have a full understanding of why it happens.

*Problem: You can log in, but it is to a black screen with a bar that says 'loading' only.
Solution: Close your client, either by typing enter, then /quit, then enter again- or use your Task Manager.
Explanation: Server is likely full, though this can also happen when the server is locked for maintenance.

*Problem: How to find out if the server is full or locked for maintenance?
Solution: Check the Server Status Page: http://www.pokemon-world-online.net/serverwatch.php
Further Information: Make sure you READ the information given on the link above, also the message above this forum. DO NOT make forum posts about the Server Status, if you are curious then do a forum search of similar messages and read them instead.

*Problem: I checked the Server Status and it says the server is up and not full. Why does it say "Can not connect To PWO server, Please try again later most likely PWO Server is Currently turned off"
Answer: The server rejects attempts to log in when too many try to connect at one time. If this happens it will be available to connect again after a short time. [this seems to be outdated- hasn't happened for months now]
If you are starting up your game for the first time and this happens, check to make sure pwo.exe is an exception in your firewall.
The server may also sometimes be FROZEN and not be allowing new login attempts. You can tell this is the case usually as the amount of people online showing on the server status page stays the same over time.

*Problem: Why is the server down all the time? (not a login problem but a common complaint)
Answer: The server is open as often as it can be. Only DEV's and ADMIN have direct access to the database so no other staff can restart it if it crashes. Server coding is responsible for the crashes for the most part and they are always trying to find the broken coding to make it more stable.

Problem: Why is the server limit so low? (again not a login issue but related)
Answer: There are many coding errors that cause crashes on the server. The limit is designed to keep those crashes to a minimum. The server size will be increased when it is deemed safe to do so and has recently had several increases- last month it was only 400. [outdated: server limit is now 1200 and rarely gets close to that]

INGAME ISSUES:

If you are STUCK, read this: http://forum.pokemonworldonline.net/vie ... f=3&t=2330
Quick Tips Include: Type /ref ingame; make sure your cursor isn't in the ingame chat or a Private Message ingame since you can't move while they are; Relog; Use the Escape Rope you get for beating the first 8 gym leaders (or talk to the door guides to get one if you beat them before they were introduced), Ask in Help channel for a CG to move you; Finally, if you aren't stuck in a gym or Pokemon Centre you can ask for a battle in the Ingame Battle Channel- tell them your highest level pokemon and that you need to be unstuck- lose the battle and you will return to your the last Pokemon Centre you entered.

Problem: Pokemon are harder to catch than in the handhelds!
Answer: This should no longer be the case, though you will find some pokemon harder to catch than others. It does help to reduce their hit points so do that if you can do so safely. Super Fang will not faint a pokemon but reduce its HP by half each hit, so that is the safest move to use. You can also inflict a status effect to improved your chances to catch the pokemon. Always buy as many pokeballs as you can afford early on- make that your first priority. I'd go so far as to suggest not to buy anything else until you have 50-100 pokeballs in your bagpack.
Also when you have 16 badges be sure to buy the Greatball Upgrade from Goldenrod or Celadon Department Store for 100k. The investment is well worth it and will pay for itself in less pokeballs used.

Problem: Map won't load, your character is in a black or green field. You can see other players but cannot move.
Answer: Sometimes the map requests are overwhelming and can seize up the map server. The only thing you can do is to keep moving your character and trying to reload the map or relogging.
UPDATEMap issues are more common again these days due to website issues. Game maps are stored on the website server, so if the website crashes the maps will no longer load ingame. If this happens you'll notice in the ingame chat people complaining of not being able to load their maps- if the website is down try to stay in the same map you are in and not move to a new map until it goes up again or you will get stuck as well.
UPDATE(again)*Avast, Trendmicro and Malwarebytes all block the map server IP/website for the game for some reason.
*If you have one of those and you unblock http://94.102.52.40 on the resident shield the maps should load again.
*Unfortunately if you have the paid version of Malwarebytes there is apparently no way to remove the block on the map server.
*Also turning off the antivirus apparently does not work, the resident shield must still run in the background. Apparently this part of the antivirus program can even stay installed after you uninstall the main part, so be sure it is all gone from your program list if you choose to uninstall it as a fix to this problem.

You can find a list of moves and their power, broken moves etc on this page of the PWO Wiki:

http://iblamelee.co.uk/pwo/wiki/index.p ... nformation

The PWO Wiki is also packed with other information for those who can take time out of their busy gaming schedule to read it. :p Remember it will be quicker to find the information that way or using a forum search than to wait for an answer on these forums usually, and the answer YOU find will likely be better than a quickly worded one here.

Problem: I just bought a pokemon and it has negative experience!
Answer: For many years it was normal for pokemon to get negative experience on leveling up- now only pokemon that had it before the fix was applied will still have it now. The only fix for these old pokemon is to train off that negative experience- when it reaches zero it will raise again as normal once more.

Problem: My pokemon didn't evolve at level 99 can staff evolve it for me?
Answer: No, a pokemon that evolves by leveling up can not evolve after it reaches level 99. For this reason we recommend players always evolved these pokemon prior to reaching max level to avoid disappointment. There is one chance only left for these pokemon, and that is when the level CAP is increased to 100, however no announcement on when that will happen has yet been made.

Playerdex ISSUES:

Problem: I used the password reset on the Playerdex but I didn't get my email?
Answer: If you don't receive your email and are sure you are using the correct email address, visit the IRC Chat, linked below in my signature, and ask for Admin to make sure it is being sent.
IMPORTANT NOTES ON RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD]This is currently the ONLY way of regaining access to your account after a general password reset by PWO staff. If you no longer have access to the email address you used for your account there is currently no other way to retrieve the account. Staff WILL NOT change your email or reset the account manually for you. So make sure you keep your email address current while you can! It can be changed while logged into the playerdex so don't wait to do it if you lose access to your email account.

Problem I used the password rest on the Playerdex but the captcha code was invalid!
Solution If you get a captcha image error when trying to change your password make sure you use ONLY CAPITAL LETTERS and NO zero's or one's. (anything that looks like a zero or one use capital O or I) And keep trying, it can take a few times before you get it right!

Problem: I get and error number when I try to view a page.
Answer: Copy the error number and the URL and post both in a Bug Catcher report on the Playerdex.

OTHER USEFUL INFORMATION

PVP (player vs player battling) Player Invented Guidelines:

1. DO NOT disconnect to avoid a loss.
2. Similarly DO NOT stall and hope the other person disconnects. You are just wasting your time and theirs, and will soon get a bad reputation amongst regular battlers doing either (1) or (2).
3. DO NOT SWITCH pokemon unless your pokemon has fainted. Switching pokemon gives the switching pokemon an unfair advantage and can lead to infinite switching and frozen battles.
UPDATE Many switching bugs have now been fixed, some players will be fine with switching but ask BEFORE you start the battle.
4. One Hit Knock Out (OHKO) moves are frowned upon. I'm not sure the reason for this other than that a lower level pokemon could gain advantage in a battle which would be much more unlikely- or impossible- to happen. For same level PVP battles I don't see why these moves would be discouraged but maybe someone will enlighten me. :)
5. Abusing (spamming) Sleep moves is also frowned upon. Again I don't know why except that counters to status effects do not work so this may also earn you a bad reputation.
6. Boosting It is considered bad practice to boost repeatedly any boosting move, especially such as dragon dance, shell smash etc, beyond 2 or 3 times at most.
7. Tournaments often have a rule stating you can only have one of each type of pokemon in your team. So no 'all slaking' or 'all dragon' teams. However this is apparently fine for normal PVP. (I'd say using an all Slaking team WOULD get you lynched however O0)

TRADING AND DAY CARE: Before you hand over your pokemon to anyone for any reason always take a screenshot of the agreement you have made, and note down your pokemon ID numbers. Take the time also to research pokemon prices on forums and in the trade channel and on the pokemart before selling or buying for the first time. As for daycare, use the forums instead of using some random stranger to level your pokemon. Unfortunately, scammers will take advantage of anyone they can- especially new players.
UPDATEPWO now logs all trade transactions, this reduces the need for screenshots of your id numbers etc, but you will still need a screenshot of the agreement for any disputes. And be aware that Trade Logging is not infallible since due to crashes erasing data some trade logs may be lost.

Trading offices are in Celadon City in Kanto and Olivine City in Johto. Before you trade for the first time you need to go to the Trade Office and get a PIN number which is needed to get into the Union Rooms. These are located upstairs in the Saffron City and Goldenrod City Pokemon Centers.

NPC's (non-player characters) usually rebattle every two weeks.

GYM LEADERS rebattle after 24 hours real time if you lose, HOWEVER this time can vary due to glitches and if that happens you will likely have to wait until the reset finally happens. The most common time for extended waiting periods is the last day of the month when the wait time is sometimes extended to 48 hours due to a glitch. If you win they never rebattle again.

Some early npc's in both Kanto and Johto rebattle every 3 days.

Pokemon moves can be edited the price for this varies depending on pokemon level. Log into Playerdex, click on My Pokemon then the pokemon whose moves you need to change. Then choose the moves you wish to keep- the price per move is shown below. You must be logged out of the game to use this feature. You can also teach your pokemon moves that its' previous evolutions would have learned a the same level, so there is no need to wait to evolve them!

If you wish to report other players for breaking the rules- which we are encouraged to do- use the Community Watch Report Center on the Playerdex. Simply input the nickname of the person you wish to report and provide your proof in the message box. The message will be checked by staff as soon as they can.

Ingame bugs can also be reported using the Playerdex Bug Catcher. Be sure to check first if the bug is known on the Wiki and doing a search of the previous bug reports before posting a new one.

The IRC chat is also there to help players so feel free to join us here:

http://www.pokemon-world-online.net/chat.php

Jane's Additions:

Compiled list of the command codes you can use in game.
The wiki has that list: http://iblamelee.co.uk/pwo/wiki/index.p ... e=Commands
Advising to new players that:
EXP cannot be gained in pvp battles.
This is the same as in the handheld versions of the game, however worth mentioning. Also that there are several PVP only 'rules' that many follow and official tournaments seem to have. For example 'no switching pokemon' and 'no ohko moves'. I don't do PVP myself though so I don't have a comprehensive list of the rules here- not even sure if they are listed anywhere to be honest.
Inability to use potions in battles.
Potions can ONLY be used in wild battles, not outside of battles. However you may have meant that items cannot be used in gym battles.
No cure for poison except pokecenters, at least in the beginning from what I've seen.
There is only one other way to cure poison and thus avoid certain fainting and that is to allow your pokemon to become confused/put to sleep/paralyzed etc. Only one status effect is allowed in PWO and the latest one cancels out the previous ones.
If you switch pokemon, whichever level is higher will get the EXP. Unless the pokemon you're fighting is about 4 or 5 levels higher.
Depends on how much higher the level of the pokemon sharing the EXPl, the pokemon do share EXP however the lower level pokemon gets much fewer points in most cases. Try to use a pokemon that is close to or lower level than the pokemon you want to gain EXP when sharing EXP points and it can work well.

Also see accursed1's FAQ page here:
Seems to have gone, if I find it archived somewhere I'll re-link.

By the way I realise not many will read this but it's as much to do something positive myself instead of replying to people negatively who post about things they shouldn't be.

supriz

Youngster
Re: NEW Players Guide.

thats gonna help!!
hope ill help newbies by sharing this link!

Maters

Some good information here that needs to be spread to all the new players.

Sadly most of them won't see. :p

I'd also suggest to include the use of /refresh , as most people tend to not know it's uses or ignore it's importance.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator

I did link to the 'Stuck' sticky post but added a few more tips for getting unstuck as well. Thanks for the suggestion Maters.

M

mauroguti

Help pls i cant connect to the server... first i get the message of the pwo is probably offline , and when i try to log in again i get a message that says ¨Failed to init Direct3D , Automation error¨pls help meee

J

JaneWatson

cool guide for the new player btw  ;)

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
The playerdex mart isn't ready for use yet and no date has been set for its' release yet. In the meantime just use Trade City.

G

How do i become a member to benefit from earning extra EXP and Shiny chance and what not?

Saric

Youngster
iggy619 said:
How do i become a member to benefit from earning extra EXP and Shiny chance and what not?
By donating. Membership is 6 tokens for 1 month, and 10 for two.
You get 1 token per usd donated.
But the system right now isn't automated and is heavily backed up, so you may be better off waiting until the new system is done.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
stsakau said:
Welcome to the PWO Forum; I can tell by the fact you only have one post in your Post Count that you are new here. Therefore, you're probably not familiar with the Forum Rules. One of these rules is that you must make constructive posts on the Forum which actually say something. To ensure this, we generally recommend posts contain at least one full sentence of at least three words. Below this is usually always considered spam. Another rule to bear in mind is we discourage "chatroom-style" posts. If what you say sounds like it belongs on a chat-room more than a Forum, you could receive a warning for it. Consider this a friendly notice so that you know how to not get in trouble in the future.

G

Why is it that when I try to donate, PayPal comes up in German?...Help please?

G

HitmonFonty said:
*Problem: I checked the Server Status and it says the server is up and not full. Why does it say "Can not connect To PWO server, Please try again later most likely PWO Server is Currently turned off"
Answer: The server rejects attempts to log in when too many try to connect at one time. If this happens it will be available to connect again after a short time.

I have this problem but when i try after a short time it keeps saying the same thing now almost 2 hours it keeps saying the same thing i tried reinstalling but still am having the same problem can some1 help me.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
A bit late on for iggy sorry, and my answer is just from heresay since I have never donated myself- the page is in German to begin with, but once you choose an amount to donate and continue to paypal it will be your paypal in your language.

Fury.dxb if you are getting that error when the server is definitely on then the first thing to check is your firewall. Make sure pwo.exe is added as an exception to it if it isn't already.

Jane

Suggestions - (Unless this is just for bugs. In that case ignore me.)
I didn't see these listed on the forum in one topic, had to find out myself.

Compiled list of the command codes you can use in game.
Advising to new players that:
EXP cannot be gained in pvp battles.
Inability to use potions in battles.
No cure for poison except pokecenters, at least in the beginning from what I've seen.
If you switch pokemon, whichever level is higher will get the EXP.
Unless the pokemon you're fighting is about 4 or 5 levels higher.

Great guide. Definitely helped me out.