Naming pokes

whisMEAT

Youngster
just for the fancy, enabling to naming of pokes. for the user or perhaps for the enemy too . for example, cos it is too hard to understand, my awesome crobat will be Lenin. my awesome gengar will be Lenin 2. my awesome honhcrow will be Lenin 3. :D
though idk if it takes huge labor or a fast smal trick .

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Nicknaming Pokémon is a popular suggestion. Obviously, it would mean additional data would need to be stored and retrieved for each Pokémon wherever a name is used. As for the question of how "easy" it would be - that's best answered by a DEV. I will say however, that it is my understanding it would require a client update to support showing the nicknames; a method to set the name (either via Client or Playerdex); AND server updates to store and recall the nicknames in the first place, the combination of which is likely to take significant time to implement.

whisMEAT

Youngster
oh maaan. this much small fancy taking that much thing. lamewad

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Also a very good point, Klay. While repeating that I Am Not a DEV, I'd suggest that if we were to implement this but add a filter for names - which would definitely be desirable - then setting the nicknames would probably end up being a Playerdex feature, rather than in-game. This would be because we already have filter tools there; and it is generally easier to implement such things as a web interface rather than spend tons of time building it into the client from scratch. The caveat of course would be that it likely wouldn't be possible to change nicknames while logged in to the game itself. It also would still require game updates to get the name to display, so would likely still be a lot of effort.

Trainer5

Youngster
Nicknaming Pokémon is a popular suggestion. Obviously, it would mean additional data would need to be stored and retrieved for each Pokémon wherever a name is used. As for the question of how "easy" it would be - that's best answered by a DEV. I will say however, that it is my understanding it would require a client update to support showing the nicknames; a method to set the name (either via Client or Playerdex); AND server updates to store and recall the nicknames in the first place, the combination of which is likely to take significant time to implement.

I always thought naming Pokemon has not been implemented because people will find a way to put profanity in the names of their pokes.

Trainer5

Youngster
Also a very good point, Klay. While repeating that I Am Not a DEV, I'd suggest that if we were to implement this but add a filter for names - which would definitely be desirable - then setting the nicknames would probably end up being a Playerdex feature, rather than in-game. This would be because we already have filter tools there; and it is generally easier to implement such things as a web interface rather than spend tons of time building it into the client from scratch. The caveat of course would be that it likely wouldn't be possible to change nicknames while logged in to the game itself. It also would still require game updates to get the name to display, so would likely still be a lot of effort.

From what I've seen from online games even the most strict filter can be bypassed.