Motivation to log,

Boora

Youngster
Hey guys, we all know that the game is not as populated as we'd like during none-event periods, and as nice and loyal the small community that stays even after events is, i would assume the goal is to get more players online.
until there's a huge update that wil get players interested in diving head in into pwo again and sticking around my suggestion is basically permenant events/swarms, now don't get me wrong, i'm not asking for a xmas scale event for the entire year not at all.
We have some amazing minds in this community and can easily give ideas for events that can run weekly/ by weekly, and we have a lot of people from the "market" side that could help with what pokemon(s) would be featured without hurting the market,(value wise not to choose the pokemon)
Realisticly, if pokemons are rotated the market or what ever is left of it anyway wont be hurt at all, there could never be enough catches within a week to ruin the value of a pokemon, (unless it goes down to tier one, which i wouldn't recommend) i don't think extra 1-5 new t2/3's and the once a few months lucky t4/5 would ruin the market, i think it'll introduce a breath of fresh air into the game,
it'll take some work on the staff's part, but it's possible, there are a lot of ideas, it doesn't have to be a swarm, it can be item events (certain pokes have the chance to drop an item, and for rare items maybe we'll need to catch the poke ? like lax w/ leftovers for example)
i'm just brainstorming ,again you can completly ignore my ideas, but not the actual suggestion , we need something to motivate new/intermidiate/and old players so they will want to log in everyday,
fortnite has daily quests/weekly quests, clash of clans has an event almost every few days and big ones (clan league,games) every week,
my point is even successful games use the idea of giving players something to do and rewards outside of what the game offers, to get players logging in everyday, just think about it it's simple if there's an event people will not want to miss the chance to get the reward or most of us just log because we know a lot of people are going to be online, as for new players, they come in complete gyms, and see that there are events all the time and stick around and become part of this community.
Also, and this is important to me,this is something that can be done NOW, no need to wait for client updates new staff etc

just to end things, i'l say it again, you can completely ignore my ideas, but don't ignore the actual suggestion.
i personally think the players are here, lukring,waiting, and sure when we'll get our huge update it'll grow, but until then i honestly believe that if there's something to do that would motivate players to log, they will.

I'd love for this suggestion to become a reality, even on trial basis, so as much as i'd love to hear the why yes, please if you have cons to this event, do let me know, no aruging or being rude, just honestly i would love to hear why it isn't the best idea for the current state of pwo, especially exiting a huge event such as xmas.

Last edited:

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
hello my friend boora this can't be happen with the numbers of staff and the work they have to do in their real life and if events where all the year that would actually make the economy even worse like how it is now it's true that new players need things to keep motivated but they should have patient too i myself was here from 2016 and i still have faith in the current staff to make pwo great again and for the 32 iv's i am totally against that cause easily the 32iv's should never have been eexisted and i was one of the ppl who wanted them to be removed cause they totally break the battling system and u can ask fadoka more about this but tbh i am thinking pwo is on the right way to get her back gold days just stuck around and u will see ;)

Boora

Youngster
The first part is valid, but to rebuttal it i'l say it doesn't have to be deep, changing the drop rate/spwans and making a thread on forumswhen there's no time/personal life, and when they have time it can be a bit more deep event wise, plus if is an actual issue i can easily think of 2-3 people that would love to step up and help and are trustworthy and WILLING

the second part of your response is invalid because i said multiple times in my thread that you can ignore the actual suggestion because i was just brainstorming, feel free to offer some yourself if you'd like, this is the point i want people to come up with nice ideas.

Thanks for taking the time to reply ahmed.

whisMEAT

Youngster
i like the idea in general and also your attention. i just wanna add bunch of this and that.
i heard from some old players in discord ,non pwo channels, some wanted to come back but they just want new things. though it is restricted to my network so not reliable to generalize, no idea
1. i think harder the thing it makes peopel to work harder if it is in short time range. kinda felt that way in hallowen. also we mostly pursue hard but big hit in pwo either for hunt or money. s i would add suggestion to weakly-daily whatever the spam; to make it harder.
2.just to add,im against 32 iv due to clasical reasons.
3. why not give towel a hand? he got good network,labor ,creativty and reputaion to make things happen without any scripting done by stuff? it may even be cover up for "non-event" times
4. im not saying about whic poke or market related things cos i suck at market stuff
5. but neccessarily some "big prize" even hard like crazy must be to lure old players. for them to be back for a day or two in a week
6.it can be even 1 -2 hour swarm of some poke,not asy as hell obviously, to lure people and make things appear in market

i just skip scripting things cos it is beyond my knowledge for various reasons such as stuff's avalibility,further aims etc

Pansy

Resident Harlequin
Game Moderator
I think perm swarms or catching events would be harmful and actual holiday events won't have as much appeal. We did used to do weekly swarms but unfortunately we then lacked the people for them. I already noted in Discord that people are familiar with what staff are active at the moment. The only person capable of all this right now is Lee. Yes, you guys can help massively with what Pokémon would be handy, but we'd still need staff to put everything in game.
I have always been in favor of just daily log in rewards, but again, that would need to be implemented :p As for the other games you've mentioned, they're big time compared to PWO so I don't think we should be comparing multi-millions to pennies.
It is always nice to see ideas, but I think people need to be a bit more realistic when making them. Apologies for being blunt.

Boora

Youngster
All i'm saying is we all want constant activity in the game, if it's somehow possible to spend some time openning/closing a swarm or some other events that are easy to manage, while you continue to work on big stuff, it'll keep players around to enjoy the final product of your hard work (new content, regions etc)
it doesn't have to be high tier events or even swarms or none of my ideas, just anything for the player base to log on for while you do your work and have your personal lifes.

Isguros

Youngster
I'm a bit split in the middle about this issue.
On one hand, if it requires special events to get people interested into logging in; then I'd put their integrity as players into question.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind it if there were smaller "events" spread throughout the year instead of these really big ones that happen during Halloween or Christmas nowadays. I believe it would help make the game a bit less predictable.
(I intentionally put the word 'events' in quotation marks, cause i don't feel like they'll have to be traditional events as we currently know them, but can be something different as well.)
some plausible alternatives which have been suggested are:

Seasonal activities
A couple years back someone putting a Thunder Punch move tutor in the game, but nothing was done with it, and it appeared and disappeared some time later without notice. The idea quickly faded out of existence not long after that. This could possibly be paired with quasi-permanent spawn additions to make a certain few maps a bit more appealing than they'd normally be.

Holodeck spawns
Another discontinued gem. Basically the same as swarms, but just having them be in a map of their own makes it feel way more special and therefore don't have to be hold as frequently. Quests and vouchers aren't really necessary, cause most people are just interested in catching Pokemon they normally didn't.

Weekly tasks
Though I'm not against 'daily rewards', just booting up the game once a day doesn't really solve this particular issue. In my opinion, weekly tasks are better suited to keep people (actually) playing. Meaningless tasks such as fainting x Pokemon', 'defeating x NPCs', 'catching x [common Pokemon y]', or 'catching a Tier x Pokemon', just to name a few of the possibilities, to earn a few (extra) Battle Points for instance might increase the number of people playing/battling.

I myself feel like there's still enough available in the game for me to accomplish, but any form of activity could help keeping those ,that feel like they've done everything in this game already, interested into continue playing... I hope.

Boora

Youngster
I'm a bit split in the middle about this issue.
On one hand, if it requires special events to get people interested into logging in; then I'd put their integrity as players into question.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind it if there were smaller "events" spread throughout the year instead of these really big ones that happen during Halloween or Christmas nowadays. I believe it would help make the game a bit less predictable.
(I intentionally put the word 'events' in quotation marks, cause i don't feel like they'll have to be traditional events as we currently know them, but can be something different as well.)
some plausible alternatives which have been suggested are:

Seasonal activities
A couple years back someone putting a Thunder Punch move tutor in the game, but nothing was done with it, and it appeared and disappeared some time later without notice. The idea quickly faded out of existence not long after that. This could possibly be paired with quasi-permanent spawn additions to make a certain few maps a bit more appealing than they'd normally be.

Holodeck spawns
Another discontinued gem. Basically the same as swarms, but just having them be in a map of their own makes it feel way more special and therefore don't have to be hold as frequently. Quests and vouchers aren't really necessary, cause most people are just interested in catching Pokemon they normally didn't.

Weekly tasks
Though I'm not against 'daily rewards', just booting up the game once a day doesn't really solve this particular issue. In my opinion, weekly tasks are better suited to keep people (actually) playing. Meaningless tasks such as fainting x Pokemon', 'defeating x NPCs', 'catching x [common Pokemon y]', or 'catching a Tier x Pokemon', just to name a few of the possibilities, to earn a few (extra) Battle Points for instance might increase the number of people playing/battling.

I myself feel like there's still enough available in the game for me to accomplish, but any form of activity could help keeping those ,that feel like they've done everything in this game already, interested into continue playing... I hope.

That's only partly true, i do get what you're saying, but getting bored of existing activities and wanting a lil more, be it an event or content doesn't mean they don't have integrity, it just means they want to play the game but lost motivation let me put it this way, if pwo was complete content wise and we still had players asking for more, i'd agree with you completely,

the events you suggested,
personally the first one is nice but it wouldn't get people playing for more than the time it'll take them to get thunder punch.
The second one sounds amazing, a swarm map, when ever there's a swarm it'll be in there just change spawns when ever there's a new one
The last one been talked about for years now, and if my understanding is correct it's not really doable now with current staff activity

But realisticly, if something can be done, with the limited staff, it should, swarms/quests/ anything to keep the players from leaving after the event
it does sound like a bait, and it kind of is, but what other choice do we have if nothing is done by the time new perm content is out there will only be a handful of people left to enjoy it :/

Pansy

Resident Harlequin
Game Moderator
But realisticly, if something can be done, with the limited staff, it should, swarms/quests/ anything to keep the players from leaving after the event
it does sound like a bait, and it kind of is, but what other choice do we have if nothing is done by the time new perm content is out there will only be a handful of people left to enjoy it :/

To be honest, if people are coming back for events, they'd come back to try out new permanent content.

Boora

Youngster
The thing is i want them to already be here when it happens and for the new content to draw even more people in
just like we go from 2-25 to 40-80 during events, imagine constant stream of events drawing 40-80 and THEN there's a new update.
this is just me though, i might be wrong, i don't know. all i know is if the staff is able and willing i don't see anything wrong with doing that,
if i'm missing something or the staff isn't able/willing ,than it's also fine, another declined suggestion, i'm just trying to do my part :/

Pansy

Resident Harlequin
Game Moderator
The thing is i want them to already be here when it happens and for the new content to draw even more people in
just like we go from 2-25 to 40-80 during events, imagine constant stream of events drawing 40-80 and THEN there's a new update.
this is just me though, i might be wrong, i don't know. all i know is if the staff is able and willing i don't see anything wrong with doing that,
if i'm missing something or the staff isn't able/willing ,than it's also fine, another declined suggestion, i'm just trying to do my part :/

Please don't feel that this is a declined suggestion. It would definitely be a good start and I'm sure things will be discussed, but it will be a case of who can do what and when.

Boora

Youngster
Pan i didn't mean it this way, i meant if there's nothing to do atm we might as well lock the thread,
and shodan i get it, true, but they do know how to keep players in-game ;p

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
shodan i get it, true, but they do know how to keep players in-game ;p
Yeah pay to win, micro transactions, and development of a toxic player base? Fortnite is an amazing role model for PWO to follow, it's almost a PROfessional idea (drum roll from any who caught that ;p) . Sarcasm aside (sorry you pushed the fortnite button, dont push the fortnite button lol) as mentioned by others before, these ideas aren't bad but more along the line of being too taxing on our 3 or 4 active staff members. Weekend swarms were tried for a few months but unfortunately it became more of a hassle for the staff and an igniter for conflicts in the player base than an increaser of in game populace. My opinion, the rare drops for monthly quests that can be used for a unique tm or such isn't a bad idea while we keep saving massive swarms, UCs, unreleased items, tutors, or other more special things for events. To note, player hosted events can prove to go over well sometimes (although with out support from others they can end up being costly and are hit or miss) best of luck, it never hurts to share an idea.

Last edited:

Boora

Youngster
You took my fortnite reference and spun it out of control, i only spoke on a tiny part of it, the part that offers players daily activites outside of p2w, in both the games i mentioned. personally i log to do the quests so i don't miss out on the rewards, it has no p2w in it what so ever, and i'd like to believe that others do the same.

about the swarms, sure, there were some issues from what i've heard when they were tried, but this is due to the fact that players were voting on the shiny and people are greedy, it could've been fixed by just picking the shinies by staff or ask someone who knows the values in-game for help
giving up is not the answer.

i'l be as blunt as possible here, it takes less than 10 minutes to start a swarm, and probably half that to end it, it's DO-ABLE, there's no questioning that, now is it a good idea ? are staff interested in doing that?, that you can ask, but saying it's a hassle or impossible with current staff is simply untrue.

i'm not trying to start an argument even if it sounds like that, i truely don't, i just want a clear answer as to if staff/the community wants daily/weekly activities to keep the players "happy" i guess? or logging in to the game, UNTIL we get big updates, which might be a while,
i'l say it again, just as pan said, they will log after the content drops regardless, but wouldn't you rather have a lot more active players when it happens to draw even more new/returning players in ? does a dude telling his friend "yo btw pwo hella good now lots of events new updates come try " not sound appealing to you ?, that's all i want. truely.

when i sound like an *** sometime, and i know i do, it's because i want to elicit a response, i want lee/jinji or who ever is active and in charge to either say , Yes we'll do that, or No we can't because ______,
i don't want this to he overlooked.

All in all, i love this game, the staff and the community and i just want to see it grow, that's all.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I have often spent time thinking about ways to incentivise people to play, which have included both existing ideas such as swarms; and new concepts such as loyalty rewards. The elephant in the room in all of these discussions has usually been one of tempering expectations. One of the reasons Rigaudon dropped doing swarms on a weekly basis - and why I deliberately decided against establishing such a schedule when I took over doing them - is that sometimes you have to skip a week due to events out of your control; and while most people are understanding and just look forward to the next one, there's always that minority that just have to kick up a stink about it; and it's not only annoying to the patient players, but demoralising to us as Staff - it's inconsiderate of circumstances and ignores the fact that we have lives too.

There is also the issue that people don't put the same value into potential rewards as others. It may be that something we think would be an interesting bonus for people one day just isn't actually as interesting to the playerbase as we would want. Additionally, not everyone in PWO is an uber-competitive Super PvPer. Some people are more casual players who prefer to take things at their own pace; some people are hunters looking for specific Pokémon; and some people try to PvP but just don't have the knack for it as the more experienced strategists currently dominating our economy. Things that cater well to one group may not be appreciated by another - and then you get complaints, or people feeling devalued.

It seems to me the best solution is the one that we all can agree is fairest for everyone. That's why threads like these interest me greatly, as I'm always seeking to know what the Playerbase actually thinks about PWO and what works and doesn't work for themselves as a player - and I know I am not alone here. Do please keep sharing your feedback and suggestions; we are always listening and will try to pitch in whenever we have a thought to add.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
I love how me comparing fortnite to another certain game that can't be mentioned here went over your head Bora and you were triggered by the joke. Anyway it really seems that the stuff you want to try didn't work out well before because you said the asked for a majority vote instead of just asking one player. Think about that statement for a second. You think the opinion of 1 person is greater than the opinion of multiple people? Also I was actually for the idea of monthly quests (I guess you managed to overlook that part) but it needs to be monthly or twice a month on weekends tops, daily is too much to ask from a busy unpaid staff that has lives.

Boora

Youngster
I have often spent time thinking about ways to incentivise people to play, which have included both existing ideas such as swarms; and new concepts such as loyalty rewards. The elephant in the room in all of these discussions has usually been one of tempering expectations. One of the reasons Rigaudon dropped doing swarms on a weekly basis - and why I deliberately decided against establishing such a schedule when I took over doing them - is that sometimes you have to skip a week due to events out of your control; and while most people are understanding and just look forward to the next one, there's always that minority that just have to kick up a stink about it; and it's not only annoying to the patient players, but demoralising to us as Staff - it's inconsiderate of circumstances and ignores the fact that we have lives too.

There is also the issue that people don't put the same value into potential rewards as others. It may be that something we think would be an interesting bonus for people one day just isn't actually as interesting to the playerbase as we would want. Additionally, not everyone in PWO is an uber-competitive Super PvPer. Some people are more casual players who prefer to take things at their own pace; some people are hunters looking for specific Pokémon; and some people try to PvP but just don't have the knack for it as the more experienced strategists currently dominating our economy. Things that cater well to one group may not be appreciated by another - and then you get complaints, or people feeling devalued.

It seems to me the best solution is the one that we all can agree is fairest for everyone. That's why threads like these interest me greatly, as I'm always seeking to know what the Playerbase actually thinks about PWO and what works and doesn't work for themselves as a player - and I know I am not alone here. Do please keep sharing your feedback and suggestions; we are always listening and will try to pitch in whenever we have a thought to add.
Gengar, thanks for taking the time to reply, i personally think that skipping events due to personal reasons is totally fair and valid and i honestly believe that no one that actually likes pwo and is a genuine part of the community would say anything negetive about a skipped event due to personal reasons,

i just think that without variety people get bored, and leave, not permanently just until there's something new and intriguing,
it doesn't actually matter if it's a swarm or an hunting event and we have to provide ss and staff provides the reward (just like towellies current event) or daily rewards, it can be any or all of the things, my main point is that i want it do be done now, after this event, while there are still a lot of people enjoying the game, i don't want it to "wave" so do speak to die down.

I want to talk about Riga's swarms, it keeps coming up, i partly understand what happened there, but it's been over 2 years and we can learn from the mistakes that happened, and this time not let the community vote and if someone feels like the swarm isn't to their liking and make a fuss about it, it'll be my pleasure to remind them that that isn't the only swarm and if they don't like the spawns doesn't mean others don't, i don't think giving up on swarms was the answer.

About the fact that not everyone values the same event on the same scale, i agree, but this is why variety matters even in events, different swarms with different spawns, hunting events, small pvp events, there are a lot of people in the community who would love to help monitor, you just need to give out the reward at the end if there's no time for you to be involved, my point is the ideas are there.

And i think it doesn't matter what we'll agree on at the end, as long as it's something i honestly believe everyone will be happy, even if they don't like the first one they at least have something to look forward too.

Thanks again jinji!

Boora

Youngster
I love how me comparing fortnite to another certain game that can't be mentioned here went over your head Bora and you were triggered by the joke. Anyway it really seems that the stuff you want to try didn't work out well before because you said the asked for a majority vote instead of just asking one player. Think about that statement for a second. You think the opinion of 1 person is greater than the opinion of multiple people? Also I was actually for the idea of monthly quests (I guess you managed to overlook that part) but it needs to be monthly or twice a month on weekends tops, daily is too much to ask from a busy unpaid staff that has lives.

When i said daily, i meant automated daily, sorry if you didn't understand and also, didn't get triggered what so ever tried to reply to the best of my ability, and i guess it did go over my head, and no i don't value mine or any one persons idea over the majority, i simply reply to each and everyone with what i think, i'm sorry if it made you feel a certain way, i truly am, you can always pm me and we can talk this out like i told you before, sometimes i'm unclear, i know that.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
When i said daily, i meant automated daily, sorry if you didn't understand and also, didn't get triggered what so ever tried to reply to the best of my ability, and i guess it did go over my head, and no i don't value mine or any one persons idea over the majority, i simply reply to each and everyone with what i think, i'm sorry if it made you feel a certain way, i truly am, you can always pm me and we can talk this out like i told you before, sometimes i'm unclear, i know that.
As long as it isn't something daily the staff may bore forced to manually do than I see no more of a reason to argue against this, but in the end it's up to the staff because Im not sure if an automated system is entirely possible and if so it will be their time and effort to implement it. Btw no need to be sorry.