More Emphasis on Battle Tower

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
A common subject discussed is how to incorporate more content and encouraging more players to be online more frequently.

Many suggestions include things ranging from more events and swarms to adding more regions or simply adding daily quests/rewards.

Although all these could prove beneficial to the overall improvements of the well being of PWO, they often seem held back by unavoidable obstacles such as time, man power, and life itself.

Personally I feel a decent solution (though likely not a great one) is by using a resource we already have which is in the form of the Battle Tower.

The battle tower and it's functions I feel could greatly contribute to improvements of overall player activity. I feel the addition of more items, tutors, TMs, and other misc things could go a long way in doing so.

For starters, rotate the newly added inventory or make it temporary or even make it seasonal. Also make this newly added inventory a much greater BP cost than the current stuff (which ofc will be the same year round).

This could cause players to log on to do more BT runs (which may increase their chances of staying on) and in the case of items and TMs that would be rotated, may even have a niche economic boost as players could purchase these while they are obtainable in BT and then later sell them during the times they are not.

Granted this is just a rough outline of what I had in mind and would gladly elaborate further when I have time to really think upon it more.

Last edited:

Klay

Youngster
Yes, but more you add rewards in permanent content (and in this case, already accessible), less potential interesting rewards you can have for Hoenn/any future permanent content/events
Plus Battle Tower is boring. Players will come to do their daily 10 runs, be bored because they do it every day to get rewards they will probably not find any buyer for, and leave until midnight? It's pretty repetitive, and not in a good way (Payday 2, mio amore)

Last edited:

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
Yes, but more you add rewards in permanent content (and in this case, already accessible), less potential interesting rewards you can have for Hoenn/any future permanent content/events
Plus Battle Tower is boring. Players will come to do their daily 10 runs, be bored because they do it all day to get rewards they will probably not find any buyer for, and leave until midnight? It's pretty repetitive, and not in a good way (Payday 2, mio amore)
I actually agree with this statement, though the point would be to stick to Tutors, TMs, items, and such that wouldn't effect regional exclusive content, as far as taking from events, that's a fair point, but I feel the purpose of the high BP prices would make events have the advantage by being overall easier. Also, again, there is the rotational concepts too so stuff you can get in the event, may be stuff you couldn't get in the current rotation :D

Redwaller66

Can always take rewards away from battle tower to give to hoenn and sevii , etc at a later date.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
A few things come to mind. If you're going to shift more focus onto Battle Tower, then some things should be adjusted.

#1: Move the Event Voucher Pokemon to BT. Like I said in my thread about getting pokemon with event vouchers, it's completely retarded. No point in it. So cramming them into BT would be a fine solution.

#2: "Daily Runs" are capped at 10 MAX. I think those should only apply to the custom matches side of BT, and allow us to make as many regular runs as we want. As it is, it takes me roughly 7 - 8 HOURS to get all 10 runs in on the Regular Runs side of BT. I like being allowed to work towards my goal, at my pace. Taking 30 minutes to do custom battles to get 50 points vs taking EIGHT HOURS to get 100 points. That's pretty unbalanced, and we should get more from the regular runs imo. Either way (more runs, or more points), or both is needed. Or, let the 10 runs apply to each side separately, so I could do 10 Regular Runs, And 10 Custom.

#3: Some of the prizes are over priced. ALL of the wings need adjusting. Lower the price to 1 BP. Given the sheer number of them that are needed, and how little they do each, having me spend my entire days worth of BP just so I can buy a few EVs is stupid. It is far too expensive and I'll NEVER, buy them at that price.

Most of the rest of BT is good. The only other thing I could complain about is the fact that the BATTLE MECHANICS are STILL Broken. It's a small thing (from my perspective) to adjust a few moves, or add another layer of code, to fix a few of the mild problems that occur, such as dead pokemon not being switched out after dying to Stealth Rocks, or fixing Focus Punch so it executes as a 1 turn move. And if Struggle Bug is working, add it to Shuckles move set already. Been waiting AGES.

Can always take rewards away from battle tower to give to hoenn and sevii , etc at a later date.

This, exactly. Use BT as a bank to hold stuff until there is a more permanent environment for it.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Oh, I see you were over there with a similar thought.

just make vouchers obtainable in the token store either daily or like maybe once a month or something like that.

Though maybe making them obtainable in BT for a massive sum of Battle points would be a better idea

shodan21

Youngster
As it is, it takes me roughly 7 - 8 HOURS to get all 10 runs in on the Regular Runs side of BT. I like being allowed to work towards my goal, at my pace. Taking 30 minutes to do custom battles to get 50 points vs taking EIGHT HOURS to get 100 points. That's pretty unbalanced, and we should get more from the regular runs imo.

or, instead of a regular run requiring seven battles vs custom/mirror requiring only one, reduce the number of battles required to complete a regular run. to, say, one, or maybe two. you take a lot longer with BT battles than you should, but even so, a single regular run is usually like 20 minutes, which is still super unbalanced.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
you take a lot longer with BT battles than you should

True. I need access to more pokes.

(subtly hinting at the fact that it is too hard to get good pokemon)

The team I made is practically un-defeat-able against the NPCs, but it is slow. Taking me 35 minutes or so per run. Since I have limited amounts of runs I end up taking a team I know will win barring bad RNG (getting instantly killed by CHEATER OHKO Moves, Instantly frozen by ice moves and staying frozen for 30+ turns in a row, enemy Ancient Power activating several times in a row, etc.). If I had unlimited runs I might play riskier and take a team of sweepers. But since it is limited, I want to ensure I complete every run possible.

reduce the number of battles required

Maybe. It would need to be at least 3 or 4. 4 is pseudo "Elite Four".

Un-capping the regular runs is the better approach imo. If I have time to invest, I can work hard towards a goal. And those that don't have time can buy the things from me. Which would help the economy. Other than the fact that there is a finite number of items in BT.

Which brings us back to putting more items/ pokemon into BT.