"Lucky Item" Shiny-Odds Bonus drop item, Shiny-Odds Pokemon Disposal NPC (using REP)

Isguros

Youngster
Before we begin:
let me start off by turning heel and state that any (significant) increase of the shiny chance would necessitate (in my eyes) lowering the minimum IVs of shiny Pokemon to a value which doesn't automatically make them all good.

Things I like:
  • The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow
The lucky item is an interesting idea, and I'd support it on most fronts. Extra exp. is always nice to get, and the money boost can certainly come in clutch for new trainers who need to raise money to purchase surfboard parts. The increased shiny chance on the other end, there I draw the line. A feature like that from a random drop seems a bit overpowered to me, and would make it so that this item won't be a help, but yet another source of frustration in this game.
P.S.: The leprechaun sprite does need an additional surf and bike sprite before it can be implemented in this way.

• Silencing the hated
Getting rid of exess shinies is another simple yet brilliant idea. Even though I'm not that big of a fan of the whole "LUCK boost" as the next guy, I can't deny that disposing of shinies would make the remaining ones be worth more.

• That nuggety goodness
In case the lucky item turns out to be too convoluted, this would also give fainting Pokemon that extra punch.

• No laughing mather
Though results may have varied early on, you did redeem yourself by calculating how long it might take to find a shiny Marill. Even though most of the computation was being held together by estimates and guesses, the final outcome was smack in the middle of the average encounter times the wiki gives. You clearly put at least some effort in.

Things I don't like:
  • Two lefts don't make a right
Whatever I try, I can't think of a way how the increase of shiny chance and the disposal system can simultaniously make low-end shinies be worth more as well as worthless enough to continue feeding into your LUCK booster.

• REP in peace
From the moment I started playing this game, the only reason REP ever had was to force players to do the beginners quest before taking on the first gym. I can see it being of some use way back in the day (when the Kanto region wasn't completed yet) as a requirement for trading, my point is however: REP has been useless for a long time (and to everyone that's now angrily thinking of overleveled NPCs who were only kept in check by their REP requirement: that's just bad storytelling/programming). Unless REP would reset and be more like Overwatch's SR, where it drops after a certain amount of time not battling, these attempts of keeping it around for this long are futile. With all that being said, I'm not keen on replacing it with yet another statistic just yet.

God's plan:
  • Alternative lucky item proposal:
Benefits:
7 days (168 hours) consisting of:
10% more exp from battles (totalling to 20% if the player has a membership activated as well).
50% more money from wild battles (totalling to 125% if the player has a membership activated as well).

Requirements:
5x Tier3 item that can be dropped from every Pokemon that doesn't already drop an item.

• Alternative disposal system proposal:
0.1 Event Vouchers or 30BP for each shiny disposed in this way.

• Alternative Shiny chance change proposal:
A shiny chance that changes depending on the rarity of the Pokemon you encounter. Starting at 1/12288 (1/3072 if the player has a membership activated) for most common of Tier1s to a modest 1/6144 (1536 if the player has a membership activated) for Tier5s.

Last but not least:
#BlameLUA
[/hr]

Last edited:

Panaro

Personally i really would like Sneasel and Gligar for swarm, their evolutions are very nice XD... of course would be nice if in an next event we had a way to otain the evo items claw and fang

thunderclap

Youngster
Isguros said:

God's plan:
  • Alternative lucky item proposal:
Benefits:
7 days (168 hours) consisting of:
10% more exp from battles (totalling to 20% if the player has a membership activated as well).
50% more money from wild battles (totalling to 125% if the player has a membership activated as well).

Requirements:
5x Tier3 item that can be dropped from every Pokemon that doesn't already drop an item.

• Alternative disposal system proposal:
0.1 Event Vouchers or 30BP for each shiny disposed in this way.

• Alternative Shiny chance change proposal:
A shiny chance that changes depending on the rarity of the Pokemon you encounter. Starting at 1/12288 (1/3072 if the player has a membership activated) for most common of Tier1s to a modest 1/6144 (1536 if the player has a membership activated) for Tier5s.

Last but not least:
#BlameLUA

Thanks for the detailed reply Isguros. Didn't see it until today. I like your idea of making higher tier shinies proportionally easier to catch (as long as it's feasible to implement) but I think your numbers need adjustment. Assuming you want a linear progression, you are advocating the following odds:

No Membership               With Membership
t1: 1/12288                          1/3072
t2: 1/10752                          1/2688
t3: 1/9216                            1/2304
t4: 1/7680                            1/1920
t5: 1/6144                            1/1536

This makes Tier 1-3 HARDER and Tier 4-5 only very marginally easier. Everything above Tier 1 is basically impossible as it is. We certainly do not need to make Tier 2 and 3 more difficult, in my opinion.

Your proposed EXP and Cash boosts for simultaneously having a membership and lucky item also seem too weak. Your 20% EXP boost proposed equals 5% more EXP gained than with a membership alone (currently 15%), or 5% less than they'd get with a MS if they just have the item. Differences of 5% are pointless and overly confusing though. We should be consistent and make lucky item bonuses the same as the membership bonus, and adjust lucky item rarity as necessary. I don't necessarily think we need to make gaining EXP easier at all - the overly-difficult training problem has already been fixed.

There is still a huge cash shortage that needs substantial actions (for lucky people) to address. A 25% cash boost for people with both a MS and lucky item is not enough to increase the money supply in the economy or to motivate people to find the lucky item. Again let's give the same benefits as membership and stack on that.

Aside from being overly-complicated, if the Lucky Item provides different benefits than a membership, we can no longer tell people it's possible to get a FREE MEMBERSHIP, which is a big motivation of having the lucky item in the first place. Reducing the game's feel of being Pay-To-Win.

Most simply, we could tweak your suggestion with the following changes:

No MS                  With MS     With MS and Lucky Item
t1: 1/12288          1/3072        1/1536    
t2: 1/10752          1/2688        1/1344    
t3: 1/9216            1/2304        1/1152
t4: 1/7680            1/1920        1/960    
t5: 1/6144            1/1536        1/768

Cash
1x        2x        4x

Exp
1x        1.15x        1.30x

I think this would be good, but it could probably be tweaked some more. I still don't like the idea of making shinies harder to find (MS-only) unless we're also making memberships cheaper. I made this thread because shinies are too hard to find.

Paarthurnax said today on the Discord chat that it is not possible to change pokemon-specific shiny odds. If that is the case, I stand by my original suggestion, staying open to tweaks/suggestions of course. My numbers (1/8192, 2/8192, etc) with the LUCK trade-in system are nice and simple from an OCD standpoint and easy to explain to people.

If it's possible I'd support adding other random dropped items containing LUCK points, battle points, tokens, Poke-dollars, pokeballs, TMs etc. As Towellie patiently tried explaining to me, acquiring shinies isn't everyone's ultimate goal in this game. I just do not know if it is possible for one pokemon to have more than one different potential dropped items.

[Quote="Isguros]Things I don']
  • Two lefts don't make a right
Whatever I try, I can't think of a way how the increase of shiny chance and the disposal system can simultaniously make low-end shinies be worth more as well as worthless enough to continue feeding into your LUCK booster.[/quote]
It's designed so that anyone who wants to dispose of pokemons for higher shiny chances will be overpaying for that privilege. Just like people overpay for token store pokes for the chance to find a shiny. Say for example you just found a Lucky Item or two and you wanted to really maximize your chances in that narrow window of time. I don't think anybody is ever going to be excited about buying or selling a poopy 20-speed Shiny Zubat, with or without this system. The value of those has always been terrible. There is still some demand for Shiny Zubats with exceptional IVs, but the huge excess of Zubats on the market lowers the price of those by association. The existing demand for good Zubats (and all common shinies) will grow if all those lesser Zubats are tossed into the blazing hellfires of Mt. Doom.

Towel

Youngster
I don't really mind what pokemon is featured in the next swarm, I'll just go along with anything. :)
I would, however LOVE to have a tutor or a TM drop.

Isguros

Youngster
I like your idea of making higher tier shinies proportionally easier to catch (as long as it's feasible to implement) ... Assuming you want a linear progression
I was more so thinking about an exponential/logarithmic progression (depending on where you use which values) that would have its most significant increase in the beginning. That way you'd make the "worthless" shinies you encounter way too often scarcer, and increase the odds of finding the rarer shinies without Tier4 and Tier5 Pokemon becoming "troublesomely" easy.

I was going to write a four page text, explaining in great detail comments and objections, but halfway through it, with my mental well-being in mind, I decided to delete it all and the following is what remained:

• A Lucky Item of this magnitude wouldn't/shouldn't be realistic for beginning trainers to obtain.
  • A lucky Item that stacks with MS as it does, doesn't close the gap between FTP and PTP players.
  • Monetary inflation doesn't result in more purchasing power.
  • Overdistributing and devaluing shiny Pokemon doesn't make them be worth more.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
It looks like Isguros figured out what I did?

I only skimmed, but:
A lucky item that does not stack with membership but is activatable might not be bad. It lets people hold onto these for swarms/etc.

Exchanging shinies to an NPC was something I actually considered for a long time but ultimately decided against for a multitude of severe reasons I can't quite remember. The main point that stuck out to me was the result was inevitably something like..."trading" problems. You trade an inflation problem for a different inflation problem in another aspect of the game instead of fixing the issue outright.

The main solution to this is accept that some things are "bad"; not every shiny has to be good, and every Pokemon has value to somebody. One guy sold literally everything to have an army of every smoochum possible, including shiny ones. The reason you are seeing a huge devaluation of shinies in general is because there are no incoming players. There is no demand to KEEP UP with the supply, let alone outpace it fast enough that pokemon naturally "die" with inactive accounts. Low demand + high supply = one big point of economic failure.

What needs to happen is that the game continues to be geared toward "climbing": Allowing a person, in a communal and interactive setting, to slowly reach their goals bit by bit without feeling discouraged. You have "bottom of the rung" stuff like Shiny Wooper, because they serve a purpose. Shiny Wooper can be used in PvP in a fully functional + diverse battle system. Shiny Woopers are also cheap enough to mean a max speed/useable one is absolutely affordable, making this a "low rung" pokemon in terms of climbing your personal ladder of goals. There's nothing wrong with that. Then you look at Pokemon like Shiny Vulpix which have almost no PvP purpose but are expensive anyway. They purely belong to a collector's "rung". Fire type lovers, cute Pokemon lovers, Fox lovers, whatever.

All of this is just exaggerated right now because there is nobody who both wants to buy and CAN buy. This is directly attributable to PWO's failure to update fast enough to keep a healthy playerbase interested. To the point that it developed a bad reputation.

Some of this I might be missing - it's been at LEAST several months and probably closer to over a year since I last considered a "pokemon sink". Also I'm dead tired. So bear with me.
[/economy musings]

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
Then you look at Pokemon like Shiny Vulpix which have almost no PvP purpose but are expensive anyway. They purely belong to a collector's "rung". Fire type lovers, cute Pokemon lovers, Fox lovers, whatever
Ninetales have drought ability riga so it's usable in pvp ;)

Klay

Youngster
Currently, Ninetales is 44th in PU. Ok, in B/W it was OU, but "the first thing to come to mind is its relative lack of utility outside of Drought. Ninetales is fairly useless outside of its ability, so the sun it provides should be the only reason to run it" (smogon)

And since weather TMs aren't released yet, sun teams (and weather teams generally speaking) can't be a thing in PWO. Unless you only have 1 sun inducer, which makes your team almost dead once Ninetales is out, or you're breaking the Specie Clause with 2 Ninetales in your team. Or you're only making an ersatz hybrid team with 50% of what sun teams are supposed to be and 50% of OU pokémon in PWO, in which case Ninetales would become a kind of "sweeper" (base stat: 81 spatk) with some survivability issues (base stats: 73 HP, 75 def, 100 spdef).

Using smogon's BW sets of Tyranitar (sand team), Politoed (rain team), Dragonite (big presence in PWO), Chansey/Blissey (big presence in PWO), Starmie (noteable presence in PWO), Gyarados (noteable presence in PWO + pretty easy to obtain), Dugtrio (noteable presence in PWO + pretty easy to obtain):
-252 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Ninetales: 366-432 (104.5 - 123.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO VS 252 SpA Ninetales Solar Beam (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 56-66 (13.8 - 16.3%) -- possible 7HKO
-252 SpA Choice Specs Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales in Rain: 686-810 (196 - 231.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO VS 252 SpA Ninetales Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Politoed: 192-226 (50 - 58.8%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-252 Atk Choice Band Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Ninetales: 328-387 (93.7 - 110.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery AND 252 Atk Choice Band Dragonite Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Ninetales: 364-430 (104 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO VS 252 SpA Ninetales Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 112-132 (29 - 34.1%) -- 2.5% chance to 3HKO
-Chansey Seismic Toss vs. 252 HP Ninetales: 100-100 (28.5 - 28.5%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Leftovers recovery VS 252 SpA Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 138-163 (19.6 - 23.1%) -- possible 5HKO
-Blissey Seismic Toss vs. 252 HP Ninetales: 100-100 (28.5 - 28.5%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Leftovers recovery VS 252 SpA Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey in Sun: 126-148 (19.3 - 22.6%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
-252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales in Sun: 211-250 (60.2 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery VS 252 SpA Ninetales Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Starmie: 218-258 (67.4 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (note: Starmie is faster in both sets)
-252 Atk Life Orb Gyarados Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Ninetales: 302-356 (86.2 - 101.7%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery VS 252 SpA Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 88 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados in Sun: 107-126 (30.3 - 35.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
-252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Ninetales: 258-306 (73.7 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery VS 252 SpA Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dugtrio in Sun: 288-339 (136.4 - 160.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO (note: Dugtrio is faster against offensive set of Ninetales, and it has 252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 300-354 (104.5 - 123.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO)

I used defensive sets for defensers and offensive sets for attackers (minus Dugtrio which only had a trapper set), so both support and sweeper sets of Ninetales (and all those threats) can be considered.

"but you didn't include Skarmory in that list, which is also pretty much used in PWO"

A player keeping their Skarmory in front of a Ninetales deserves to lose. That, and this list is supposed to show how weak Ninetales is against usual PWO threats (T5 and T1) and sun team threats.

"there's too many water-type pokémons in that list!"

Because water is one of the most common and diversified type in PWO. With only 2 weaknesses (electric moves are often used, but decent electric pokémons aren't that common in pvp; grass moves not often used, and grass pokémons REALLY not diversified in pvp (Breloom, Venusaur and Sceptile, not common at all on new players boxes)) and a lot of different ways to use them, water-type pokémons are in every team and have to be seriously considered when building a team.

All this to say: no, Ninetales isn't usable in pvp. You're wasting a slot just to "prove" it's usable, and make your team a little weaker to PWO threats.

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
lol u may had forget the main reason for using ninetales which is drought ability and that make chlorophyl users have their speed doubled like venusaur and exeguttor and for dugtrio iirc ther's a set that can't get ohko by dugtrio eq ;)

Klay

Youngster
Midou said:
lol u may had forget the main reason for using ninetales which is drought ability and that make chlorophyl users have their speed doubled like venusaur and exeguttor and for dugtrio iirc ther's a set that can't get ohko by dugtrio eq ;)

- "the first thing to come to mind is its relative lack of utility outside of Drought. Ninetales is fairly useless outside of its ability, so the sun it provides should be the only reason to run it"

When you say "main reason", it implies there're more uses. Smogon being an active competitive community with enough credibility, and since they don't give any other option than a defensive/offensive sun inducer, you're free to tell us more about those other reasons your sentence is implying.

- "And since weather TMs aren't released yet, sun teams (and weather teams generally speaking) can't be a thing in PWO. Unless you only have 1 sun inducer, which makes your team almost dead once Ninetales is out, or you're breaking the Specie Clause with 2 Ninetales in your team. Or you're only making an ersatz hybrid team with 50% of what sun teams are supposed to be and 50% of OU pokémon in PWO, in which case Ninetales would become a kind of "sweeper" (base stat: 81 spatk) with some survivability issues (base stats: 73 HP, 75 def, 100 spdef)."

I thought talking about sun teams would at least show I know a minimum about their mechanics, and about Drought and its beneficts/malus. So, to clarify, I know how it works (thanks to smogon).

- "252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Ninetales: 258-306 (73.7 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery"

Is that a proof you didn't read?

Isguros

Youngster
Midou said:
the main reason for using ninetales which is drought ability and that make chlorophyl users have their speed doubled like venusaur and exeguttor

And that's why having a Drought user and a Chlorophyll Pokemon on the same team is banned in OU and below, according to Smogon.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
Keep in mind, B/W also had perma weather. This meant you had to have a weather pokemon on your own team to neutralize/change the weather, and the weather abilities were the best way to do this.

PWO does not have perma weather, so demand for them is lower.

I'd rather go back in to discussion of economics than about Nine specifically though, lol : )

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
back the main post : for this game i think ther's a choice that need to be done it's either create an npc that can buy the shinies ( common one's ) or make the shinies iv's 10-31 this way the shinies that are ingame atm become a little bit expensive

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
Midou said:
back the main post : for this game i think ther's a choice that need to be done it's either create an npc that can buy the shinies ( common one's ) or make the shinies iv's 10-31 this way the shinies that are ingame atm become a little bit expensive

I'm going to have to disagree with that. If we do that we rip off any new players. More expenses is not needed, instead more balancing. the only way 10-31 IVs would work would be if every single in game shiny pokemon is reworked and that wouldn't be fair to players that already have those 20+ or 28+ pokemon originally. Dropping from 28-32 down to 20-31 was harsh but acceptable but to drop down to 10-31 would bring way to much imbalance to the playerbase. The NPC is a good idea but may be way too complex to implement currently.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
The issue with buying pokemon is that you're trading an inflation of one good (pokemon) for another (money). It doesn't really solve anything; instead you're trading one problem for another.

thunderclap

Youngster
CheckeredZebra said:
The issue with buying pokemon is that you're trading an inflation of one good (pokemon) for another (money). It doesn't really solve anything; instead you're trading one problem for another.

We're in a time of extreme deflation - a recession of the economy. The NPC as I suggested would directly fight both types of inflation. It doesn't give you money or pokes - all it does is slightly increase your shiny luck, but the increase of luck will be substantially less than your pokemon is worth. The NPC could be deactivated or adjusted at any time, or once the problem is corrected and we have normal market activity again.

I really don't think we need other solutions to fix the economy.. I've thought this through pretty well and it fixes pretty much everything, give or take a bit of tweaking. Some hard tier 1 shiny pokemons like Growlithe will be worth a bit less. That's the only downside I can think of.. and the few of us who have them (myself included) shouldn't let our selfishness get in the way of progress. Our pokes are worth nothing if the game is dead.

shodan21

Youngster
CheckeredZebra said:
Keep in mind, B/W also had perma weather. This meant you had to have a weather pokemon on your own team to neutralize/change the weather, and the weather abilities were the best way to do this.

PWO does not have perma weather, so demand for them is lower.

I'd rather go back in to discussion of economics than about Nine specifically though, lol : )

it's also worth noting, since PWO doesnt have all of the pokes, items, and mechanics of the full games, that not all of the fundamentals that Smogon's recommendations are built on apply properly to PWO - case in point, the tank-fest that is the PWO meta.

as for the economy, i've said it before, but it's worth repeating: the issue is that "want to buy X" and "can afford X" are far too often mutually exclusive - wealthy players generally dont want to buy common shinies, and new players generally cant afford common shinies, as an example.  the only market force on that situation is for prices to come down, which causes sellers to think "i spent so much time to find this and it's basically worthless", which is incredibly discouraging - that's actually a large part of the reason i quit.  it entirely removes what would otherwise be excitement for finding a shiny common; i often found myself saying "another one? great, what a waste" and that is really not what should be happening, but that's what the market in its current state does.

to the topic at hand, i don't know exactly how this idea would affect the discouragement aspect i mentioned.  i would question if it's something that wouldn't overly favor players that are already wealthy, though; for example, those that already have a large stockpile of shinies (or the cash to acquire one) they'd be willing to use to try and get a rarer shiny.  in the long run, maybe that all balances out anyway.  food for thought.

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
So, let's talk cycles.
You have the rich who have so much money and items they have nothing left to really spend/barter for aside from things that probably will never exist again due to low playerbase. (Shiny, extremely rare things or just very strong PvP-based pokemon.) There is nobody coming in as well as no noteable additional content to provide the rich with the next new thing they might want to bust their wallets on. Good riolu, garchomp, for example. Of course, with nobody really joining the game now and staying long enough to "climb", there is no money accrual and circulation. There is no content the newer can put effort into in order to entice richer players to "spend down". Battle tower WAS an example of this: Lots of needed goodies anyone could get if they grinded for it, so they would pay other people to skip the grind.

That no longer exists in PWO. It's a huge issue. There is no middle ground that will want their first shiny to pay for their first shiny. It is almost exclusively a playerbase issue, and the NPC is just a way to bandaid that void of buyers. In old PWO, there were so many people that finding a buyer for some random shiny, common or not, was a non-issue. There is almost no middle class. There is almost no lower class. There are almost no high profile wealthy even if they SEEM more numerous...mainly because they join just to flaunt their wealth or their accomplishments in this game are memorable.

Sorry if this lacks tact, I absolutely do not mean this poorly, but your suggestion is a tourniquet on a laceration that may never heal. It's a nice stopgap, but you're just stemming the bleeding. The wound is infected, and without proper care into the game (updates, regions, revived PvP scene), it is at best alleviating a symptom and will eventually become redundant if the actual issue is properly tackled. Maybe you're fine with that, but then you have to look at labor vs outcome. Do you want that effort going toward solutions that permanently solve the problem or into a bandaid? That's why I'm pretty iffy.

PWO needs regions. It needs more diverse pokemon as shodan noted to support a more balanced/diverse meta, as well as help diversify the economy. It needs things that brings people here instead of to other random pokemon MMOs, which are a dime a dozen these days. Is giving people an option to get extra luck nice? Yes. Will it harm things? Probably not. Does it divert from the heart of the issue? Yes. At the core of it you are automating a function that real people should already be doing, and the fact that people aren't is indicative of much larger, much more severe problems that need to be tackled ASAP or PWO will not survive.