Keeping special moves after deleting them

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
The idea being that when a TM or Tutor Move, etc. is used on a Pokemon, that pokemon has that move PERMANENTLY added to its move pool for that specific pokemon.

This would allow us to maintain the value of our pokes, AND be allowed to change their moves without fear of them losing value. So many seem to be so concerned about maintaining value, and mostly collectors. This is maintaining value from a battler perspective. I think it is fair.

Right now, I have rare, valuable, pokemon, with rare, valuable, moves, and I feel like I am not allowed to use them in battle since their moves would need to be mildly changed to make them competitive, which entails removing said "rare and valuable moves". I may decide I want to change the move set again later, and restore a deleted "Substitute", but can't since that isn't a move that is available. Or I might temporarily want to swap out a "Drain Punch" that's been tutored onto a pokemon.

I feel like I'm not allowed to have fun with my own pokemon due to their value, and potential loss of value. Making it so special moves like those are permanently added to a specific pokemons move pool would fix that problem.

shodan21

Youngster
not a bad idea - have them be re-obtainable via playerdex, maybe at an increased fee compared to moves in the level-up learnset. not sure if egg moves should be included, since theyre mostly pretty easy to reobtain, but it probably wouldnt be much extra work to include them.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I misread this suggestion originally and thought it was suggesting the inability to remove a TM Move, etc. Now that I've re-read it, I understand what you're suggesting - a Pokémon that has a TM or Tutor Move taught, then forgotten, should be able to reclaim that move without reusing the Tutor or TM, but at increased cost. I can see a logic for this, particularly for "limited time" tutors that have not been re-implemented since and thus have no way to reclaim the move otherwise; but I am on the fence as to whether it's something I'd personally want to consider.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
I'm glad you were able to re-read it and find the meaning there. I'm not known for speaking clearly and succinctly.

I didn't include Egg Moves since they're relatively easy to obtain for the most part. Though it could be considered as well.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
I still hope this idea goes through. As a battler, I currently have to use MULTIPLE T5 pokemon that have EXCELLENT STATS, and that is super hard to do so I don't have all the pokemon I need yet.

Furthermore, currently if someone sees me send in my Shiny Tyranitar they're like "OH! I KNOW WHAT MOVES THAT HAS!", and then they try to predict what I will do based on what moves they know that pokemon has.

BUT! If I could change moves without fear of losing those Rare TM, or Tutor Moves, I could change up its Move Set and catch people off guard and make battling more fun.

This would prevent me from having to spend THOUSANDS of HOURS hunting to get Multiple T5s with good IVs so I could focus more on the part of the game *I* want, which is battling, and other battlers could also get more into battling.

The demand for good pokemon with high IVs will not go away, so this idea won't crash the economy, and it will help maintain the value of rare pokemon with rare moves.

Isguros

Youngster
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you're able to reteach a Pokemon a forgotten TM move on the Playerdex already, this isn't yet the case with tutor moves. Though I applaud and support the idea you're proposing, I do feel that the "carelessness" in removing a tutor move, or even a TM move, warrants a slightly steeper penalty than the usual fee that's needed to reteach a move through the Playerdex.

P.S.: Aren't "valuable moves" only valuable if, aside from them being hard to obtain, they improve the Pokemon's competitive capabilities? If they diminish the Pokemon's battle prowess instead, they shouldn't increase the Pokemon's economic worth.

shodan21

Youngster
I still hope this idea goes through. As a battler, I currently have to use MULTIPLE T5 pokemon that have EXCELLENT STATS, and that is super hard to do so I don't have all the pokemon I need yet.

Furthermore, currently if someone sees me send in my Shiny Tyranitar they're like "OH! I KNOW WHAT MOVES THAT HAS!", and then they try to predict what I will do based on what moves they know that pokemon has.

BUT! If I could change moves without fear of losing those Rare TM, or Tutor Moves, I could change up its Move Set and catch people off guard and make battling more fun.

This would prevent me from having to spend THOUSANDS of HOURS hunting to get Multiple T5s with good IVs so I could focus more on the part of the game *I* want, which is battling, and other battlers could also get more into battling.

The demand for good pokemon with high IVs will not go away, so this idea won't crash the economy, and it will help maintain the value of rare pokemon with rare moves.

to be fair, you can make fairly competitive teams with commons. mamoswine, gengar, alakazam, tentacruel, slowbro, and arcanine, to name a few, are all reasonably viable with the right strategies. keep in mind that not all of the rares that you do use have to have perfect stats; tanks especially can get away with some lesser ivs given the lack of natures in the game, and amazing stats won't save you from bad predictions or other strategic errors.

also, to the changing moves to catch people off guard strategy, that's why i have multiple max speed s kingdra and multiple salamence with different moves/evs. obviously this is difficult to accomplish with rares, but it's considerably easier with commons - limited, of course, by viable movesets, as some species (notably, the eeveelutions) have very shallow movepools and thus not many useful variations.

so, in essence, git gud ;)

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Aren't "valuable moves" only valuable if, aside from them being hard to obtain, they improve the Pokemon's competitive capabilities?

The move set I currently have on my S Ttar isn't viable, Substitute, Avalance, Ice Punch, and Superpower. These moves together suck because they all belong to different strategies. Switching Ttar in on something that I know will switch out leaves me room to use Substitute. And then on the next turn I can use Avalanche with confidence. Substitute is also great for protecting a pokemon while it uses Focus Punch, but Focus Punch isn't working correctly, and there is no sign of staff fixing it. But I remain hopeful that I can some day use the renowned "Sub/ Punch" strat.

But Ice Punch and Superpower don't belong on a Substitute set. And I can't remove them since I don't know for sure what direction I want her moveset to go. But these 2 moves are useful on an alternate set.

Hence my dilemma. I have a highly valuable pokemon, that has rare moves, and I can't keep the moves because I want to use it in battle, but I can't remove the moves because I don't want to devalue it.

So I am hoping the Staff here can implement a fix to this kind of problem. This isn't a 1 time kind of thing. I have other rare pokemon with rare moves and it is hard sitting here and not using them in battle because I'm afraid of devaluing my pokemon.

to be fair, you can make fairly competitive teams with commons

Says the man who uses Chansey (T5), Skarmory (T4), Porygon2 (T5), and Salamence (T5) all on the same team. (or some such)

shodan21

Youngster
Says the man who uses Chansey (T5), Skarmory (T4), Porygon2 (T5), and Salamence (T5) all on the same team. (or some such)

yes, and that team is quite capable of getting stomped too. and before i reworked my team to include those, i used Mamoswine, Arcanine, and Tentacruel - which are all T1.

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
The move set I currently have on my S Ttar isn't viable, Substitute, Avalance, Ice Punch, and Superpower. These moves together suck because they all belong to different strategies. Switching Ttar in on something that I know will switch out leaves me room to use Substitute. And then on the next turn I can use Avalanche with confidence. Substitute is also great for protecting a pokemon while it uses Focus Punch, but Focus Punch isn't working correctly, and there is no sign of staff fixing it. But I remain hopeful that I can some day use the renowned "Sub/ Punch" strat.

But Ice Punch and Superpower don't belong on a Substitute set. And I can't remove them since I don't know for sure what direction I want her moveset to go. But these 2 moves are useful on an alternate set.

Hence my dilemma. I have a highly valuable pokemon, that has rare moves, and I can't keep the moves because I want to use it in battle, but I can't remove the moves because I don't want to devalue it.

So I am hoping the Staff here can implement a fix to this kind of problem. This isn't a 1 time kind of thing. I have other rare pokemon with rare moves and it is hard sitting here and not using them in battle because I'm afraid of devaluing my pokemon.

ice punch and subs and avalanche on a ttar ? seriously ? it's not a set at all lol
ice punch for what ? for flying or dragons ? stone edge stab move
subs for what ? to win a turn ? dragon dance will get you a good turn and will even power ur stats
superpower seems reasonable but avalanche ????? better used a stab move like crunch
and of course it's ur poke so it' ur choice but cmon ice punch+avalanche on the same ttar ? both are useless for ttar
plus that tiers doesn't mean it's a good battler ur ttar or example will lose for t1 arcanine