Event [Closed] Join Pinkan Island to celebrate Valentine's Day!

shodan21

Youngster

sick burn, man. any post that isnt brown-nosing staff and events is just a river of tears, amirite? no criticism allowed, you heard it here first.

i look forward to more of your useful discussion contributions and third-grade comebacks.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I am very disappointed to see players mocking other players for expressing opinions over this event that they disagree with. All opinions, both positive and negative, are equally important and valuable to the Staff team; and nobody should feel attacked for expressing a view. If such childish behaviour continues, I will begin to remove offending posts and taking action against those I feel are creating problems for the other participants or the community as a whole.

parquettistapazzo

Youngster
Thank you for the event. In hindsight, it was challenging but not impossible to beat the pinkan armor quest, although I still think if was pretty frustrating to get a 10 slowbro streak with no drops. Anyway, it's been fun!

GuiiHenrique

Sorry for my delay, I don't really have much time.
My opinion about this event? Hmm... Another event that was more of the same.
The difficulty was summed up in memorizing the regions of a huge map that was intended to be a maze. The quest reward was a new item, but useless (which was to be expected since the quest was basically to take something at one point and deliver it at another), and as a trademark of the game the award gives us the feeling that we are rewarded according to the time we spend on the pwo and not on our merits.. However, it was also possible to identify positive points such as the inclusion of a new Pokeball (for those who collect), tutors and new moves available (a good thing even for a limited amount of pokes), different pokes on a "same map" (which in reality appeared to be duplicate maps with access made from teleports unlocked according to their progress in the quest - /cgwho "confirmed" this theory), captible cherubi and Air Balloon.

Well, I can summarize that, in my opinion, this event was nothing more than a test for "new" mechanics. The feeling I have is that the focus has been on forcing the player to play the game (100 hours to hatch an egg, 3 hours to create an item, drop items with a doubtful percentage, etc ...), and the The purpose of this event specifically became to capture (s) Lick and (s) Skitty as it provided bad options for rod and surf (I will not comment on the background), that is, it was just a big swarm on a new map (the hope I have is that Pinkan Island will be used in the future as it is a real island within the Pokémon universe).
I don't want to prolong it too much, so finally I say that I have no problem with taking a long quest, but the frustration with the awards has been a constant. I also say that another point that makes me frustrated is to see what the PWO community has become, the decay is clear when we look at the comments made on the opinion given by other players and, honestly, I believe that PWO is becoming a game frequented by a band of spoiled children desperate for attention.

Good luck!

Klay

Youngster
I also say that another point that makes me frustrated is to see what the PWO community has become, the decay is clear when we look at the comments made on the opinion given by other players and, honestly, I believe that PWO is becoming a game frequented by a band of spoiled children desperate for attention.

Just to put some context:
I enjoyed the event (especially the moving NPC and that new 0 collision glitch), but when you can't leave a Global filled with complains 24 hours after the event started (both about the quest "difficulty" and players not finding shinies), it's just as frustrating as baking without oven.
The same Global that made me leave the event 5 days before the end
0zsng1aLJmhLZOzfPp8nDA_GxlPXiLTr1abMkbh9Kd2TTco__e_BBWMpvxUQ0A9w_kGe25Pw4oLp0vWU0qALHaJeG6FUaDf2fLeY.png

this being said, thanks for the sign idea \o/

Last edited:

whisMEAT

Youngster
Just to put some context:
I enjoyed the event (especially the moving NPC and that new 0 collision glitch), but when you can't leave a Global filled with complains 24 hours after the event started (both about the quest "difficulty" and players not finding shinies), it's just as frustrating as baking without oven.
The same Global that made me leave the event 5 days before the end
0zsng1aLJmhLZOzfPp8nDA_GxlPXiLTr1abMkbh9Kd2TTco__e_BBWMpvxUQ0A9w_kGe25Pw4oLp0vWU0qALHaJeG6FUaDf2fLeY.png
yup. people just spammed in all chat that simply it was impossible to say anything. you say hi and untill somone responds 2-3 complains emerged. there were constans spams of complains .basicly%75of things written were complain. spammers finishd the quests about half or at most 3/4 given time of event; amazingly spam stopped like a magic. i find a bit cute the complaints "ooh my rng sucks" "oh i got 5shiny but not t4" and stuff but spamming is lamewad.

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
i find a bit cute the complaints "ooh my rng sucks" "oh i got 5shiny but not t4" and stuff but spamming is lamewad.
Anyone that goes on endlessly about bad rng and not finding shines afters x encounters need to just be ignored. Whether its sarcastic or serious that got old a long time ago.
Back to the event the main and only issue I had with it was the rarity of the slowbro. I get it you want to gate content and give it the guise of being hard but having slowbro be t3+(i'm guessing) and then sub 20% drop on the item was a huge annoyance. I'm am fine with very low drops rates but when the poke that drops the item is also very rare it adds unnecessary frustration and you end up with the hate this event got. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that when the rates was change the quest slowbro drop was increased and zones 6 bros it remained the same? Which was backwards imo quest should of stayed the same and zones 6 should of been drastically increased as it was needed for the tutor.
Onto the good things, the quest sending you out of the map loved that. As someone that tends to stay one place for months and glad this and the last event sent you out of the event zone and back into the world, more of that in the future please. The wait time for the poffins was also a plus, i guess it is going to be quest/story dependant but more of that also would be nice. As Klay mentioned the npc guide was a nice surprise and like the moving of objects I cant wait to see how its gets implemented further.

ps. Please no more maps that was unnecessarily large like this one and large for no real reason. The chinese new years was just about the perfect size.

shodan21

Youngster
Back to the event the main and only issue I had with it was the rarity of the slowbro. I get it you want to gate content and give it the guise of being hard but having slowbro be t3+(i'm guessing) and then sub 20% drop on the item was a huge annoyance. I'm am fine with very low drops rates but when the poke that drops the item is also very rare it adds unnecessary frustration and you end up with the hate this event got.

i think it was originally broken, then fixed to be 30% drop rate, and near the end adjusted to 50%. and i think youre correct that the zone 6 drop rate was not adjusted - at least, no adjustment was communicated to players that im aware of.

but yes, the slowbro armor hunt was a huge annoyance that to me single-handedly turned this from a nice event, if largely copypasta'd from the two previous events, into pretty much the most frustrating and annoying event ive been around for. that was the rotten apple that spoiled the bunch, as the saying goes. the rewards were okay, the spawns were decent (well, the grass spawns anyway), but overall i wouldnt say they were worth the slowbro hunt.

there were some nice things to see in this event - the lickitung/lickilicky tutor, for example, made it possible to get its standard cleric set, which was previously unavailable, and the chansey tutor allowed for easier access to certain moves such as seismic toss and counter, as well as access to very non-standard sets such as weather moves etc. the introduction of new game mechanics, as noted by klay, is good to see as well (berry trees wen?), and an event actually having water spawns was a nice change of pace, as its been quite a while since an event had those. air balloon is also a good battle item addition.

but all of those positives are vastly overshadowed by the insufferable armor hunt. as guii noted, that mechanic rewards based on time played, not any sort of merit/skill (and also on rng, as i noted previously), so its an incredibly frustrating mechanic to use to gate event quest progress. im also not a huge fan of the "come back after x hours of gameplay" either, because thats even more blatant time-gating, but, used sparingly and with a reasonable storyline justification as done in this quest, its not terrible. maybe the next event should be more of a community contest, where the goal is to come up with better mechanics for quest difficulty than simply trolling players with bad rng and less than 30 hours of free time with which to slave through a quest grind for different pixels.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Onto the good things, the quest sending you out of the map loved that. As someone that tends to stay one place for months and glad this and the last event sent you out of the event zone and back into the world, more of that in the future please.

Yes, leaving the event map is a nice touch.

ps. Please no more maps that was unnecessarily large like this one and large for no real reason. The chinese new years was just about the perfect size.

Personally, I liked seeing a bigger map for a change, so I expect more events to have large maps in the future.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
I agree that the drops were too hard, and I see a reason for them to be as such. Mildly easier wouldn't be all that bad. But when in the final zone the drop rate for armor should have been 100% so we can get tutor moves. Then again, I guess slowbro doesn't need tutors. \o/ >_>

I like the idea of having the Spawn Map separate from the rest of the event map, since then you can lock down the spawns by denying access to the forest, while leaving the tutors and such accessible to players, and could therefore allow access to the island to stay in place long after the event so if players catch a pokemon that needs a tutor, and they still have the item for the tutor, they could come back months later and get the tutor. THIS, is what needs to be done in the future. I have 2 accounts currently "anchored" to old event maps by using Escape Ropes so I can still have access to old event maps for the Tutors.

Overall, I think this event was well designed. There could be more variety of quests than drop rates though. I have already made such a suggestion in another thread, and I fully expect my idea to make it into Events in the future. This event had a nice selection of stuff, from pokemon to tutors to items so there was something for everyone more or less. Good job to the staff who made this event, and thanks.

shodan21

Youngster
I like the idea of having the Spawn Map separate from the rest of the event map, since then you can lock down the spawns by denying access to the forest, while leaving the tutors and such accessible to players, and could therefore allow access to the island to stay in place long after the event so if players catch a pokemon that needs a tutor, and they still have the item for the tutor, they could come back months later and get the tutor. THIS, is what needs to be done in the future. I have 2 accounts currently "anchored" to old event maps by using Escape Ropes so I can still have access to old event maps for the Tutors.

or, instead of locking players out when they leave and thus allowing people who dont leave to have an extra several days of hunting (which, as i recall, you specifically complained about with regards to Cherrim ;)), they could just... remove the spawns, as was done with most events in the history of events. thus, instead of having the event end at different times for different players, the event would end at one time, and the maps and tutors could be left freely accessible for a while. this thing with locking access to the map is a pretty new thing, and its also a poor change of direction. the separate map thing is better than what happened in the xmas event, where players got locked out of the tutors as well, but having the tutors remain available after the event end is the norm, not something new.

but that would require staff members with permissions to edit spawns to be available when the event is scheduled to end, instead of other staff members picking up the slack in whatever manner theyre able to.