Jinji's Staff Journal

Nikola

Youngster
Just in case you need something on tape I recorded one natural battle. I hope we all can see where issue really is. Sleep Powder failed 3 times in a row versing Dragonite, newer saw that happening before but well it's just my luck. I've decided for this video due to Snorlax's base HP and SpDef.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLgOAAWNi6M[/youtube]
6l0s.png

HOF69

This might have to do with the recent attempts to tweak sleep and confusion, so I'll post this here. Clearly there's an obvious bug regarding two pokes trying to use status ailments against one another when one is already affected. Not sure if this applies to other status ailments such as paralysis, burn, etc., but clearly there's something wrong regarding sleep and confusion.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb360/HOF69/1.png

Tecknician

HOF69 said:
This might have to do with the recent attempts to tweak sleep and confusion, so I'll post this here. Clearly there's an obvious bug regarding two pokes trying to use status ailments against one another when one is already affected. Not sure if this applies to other status ailments such as paralysis, burn, etc., but clearly there's something wrong regarding sleep and confusion.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb360/HOF69/1.png
The issue regarding putting a status ailment on a pokemon that already has that ailment has been modified, tested and should be correct. However please report back if that issue still persist HOF69.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Thanks for the assistance in trying to get this one nailed down finally, Tecknician.

I've had a lot of my time this week taken up by Business, so I apologise for my lack of action regarding some player's PMs or my activity on the Forum in general. Thankfully I've now achieved three of the major tasks that have been bugbears for some time. Without wanting to blatantly advertise, if you'd like to see examples of exactly what I've been up to, you can visit www.sanitarium.fm and join our IRC; as well as visit the relaunched Listener Charts page.

Nikola

Youngster
uHa7BPH.png
i5c.png

-Thanks very much. Seems they are working just fine for both sides.

SimpleAndClean

Thank you so much for this update Teck and Jinji, this was the biggest problem in battle. Great job guys we appreciate everything you do!

MegaBeach

Hey, I love very much the game, but i'm sure you noticed that after a while it gets boring ...
There are only two worlds, even if you'll add more pokemons from other gen, it won't really help, I think you should consider developing a new world, so the game can continue...

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Much of the problem is PWO lacks an actual storyline at the moment; and what there is right now mostly copies the standard features of most Pokémon games. This means that so far, there are very few quests; not a lot of original content; and no direct progression after collecting all the badges. Settling on a storyline and working future content around it is a major priority on our current to-do list.

As for what you're saying about there being too few "worlds"... I assume you mean "regions"? While I sort of agree with you, it's been stated several times why no new regions are being introduced in the near future; and in most of the Staff's views, the current regions aren't themselves completed anyway and it's much more important to complete a region before introducing another.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
So you're saying we need a Team Rocket, dibs on calling it Team Zammbi (not because Zammbit did anything bad of course :) )

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I miss Zammbi :(

Also - Choco, you just remind me of the time we considered that "Staff being evil" storyline. I liked that idea; especially how it would've started with the lesser staff owning a petty thug gang and gradually revealed itself to be a whole criminal organisation for which the majority of us played a part... but thinking back now, they were right - the idea is full of flaws and causes all kinds of problems for Staff reputation. It's a moot point anyway, as we no longer have the idea after losing it in many Forum moves...

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
Ah, but this allows us to craft a new story. One where I am the evil mastermind behind all the things and use mindless minions (called Manti) to do my bidding and create all sorts of trouble for the players :D

CheckeredZebra

Youngster
I think it involved staff NPCs with their choice of pokemon on their team, with much of the staff NPC dialogue being incredibly silly (I mine was going to have lost the key I was supposed to be guarding, and meanwhile state that I was confused about the whole organization).

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Heh, yeah. That sounds a lot like you, Checkered ;)

And Choco - planning an animal rebellion or something? :p

"The Closer You Get To The Light, The Greater Your Shadow Becomes" - I like that line, SimpleAndClean :)

Merse

Youngster
Although I think the idea is hilarious, I'm sure there would be several, less informed players who would believe that you're actually bad persons.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Merse said:
Although I think the idea is hilarious, I'm sure there would be several, less informed players who would believe that you're actually bad persons.
That was one of two main reasons we never pursued the plans, back when they were seriously being considered (any talk about it since have been jokes). The other reason is the Staff team changes over time, with people leaving or joining the Staff or changing their roles; which could make the hierarchy depicted in-game gradually become inaccurate or nonsensical and possibly harder to update as time goes on or Staff become more integral to the story itself. There was also the problem of us all appearing egotistical including ourselves into a Pokémon game as the key role.

Having said this, at least two posts on the EXP Formula changes suggest I've possibly done evil already. During discussions of the new formula I advised Lee to remove rewarding a Pokémon that Selfdestructed or Exploded, as this has been a long-standing glitch and a clear deviation from the official rules on Pokémon Battles as used in the main series games. I can see some people are not happy with this change; but two posts are hardly significant. I'd like to see if there are any further complaints - or praises.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I thought I should rewrite this post about my current inactivity to be more descriptive.

On Tuesday, September 24 I visited the doctor on an early morning appointment in order to get a swelling underneath my right armpit checked. This had been growing for several days before but had only recently became painful and red. It turned out to be an infection that was worse than expected and minor surgery would be required to treat it. This lead to me booking into the local hospital shortly before noon; the surgery was performed at 8pm and was finished by 9:15pm. However I was kept overnight so that the after-care could be completed in the morning and I could be told the follow-up steps, even though I felt the lengthened stay was unnecessary.

Upon leaving the hospital I was confronted with so many texts from business and family contacts asking about my well-being that it essentially made me feel smothered and though I responded to each, I eventually turned off my phone to get away from it all. This is the main reason I've decided to take a break from PWO for an undefined period: I feel I need space. While it's not a serious medical issue, the way it's been dealt with has given me some stress and I just feel I need time to relax and be left alone until I'm ready to get back into the flow.

To combine with this, this week constitutes the main bulk of Eurogamer 2013. My business, WPS Interactive, is on the show floor; and our main website, Sanitarium.FM Gamer Radio, is providing full coverage of the expo, but this requires people who aren't at the show like me are watching the stream, writing the articles for the site and checking those of the other authors; and publishing them. So the bulk of my time until the end of Sunday is already taken up. The last thing I need right now is to be overworked; so this is another reason I'm taking a break.

I may not read PMs about PWO matters that are sent directly to me for the rest of the week; and I reserve the right to refuse to forward them to other Staff if I don't have the time or don't feel it's worth the bother. Therefore, if you need a matter dealt with promptly, please contact other members of Staff. Thank you for your cooperation.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
After the end of Eurogamer, my workload significantly reduced giving me more time to focus on other things; and I'm sure many of you noticed me visiting and contributing to the Forum much more regularly since Monday. In addition, the aftercare following my hospitalisation merely requires me to make annoyingly early-morning, but in general quickly dealt with appointments to local GPs and my arm re-patched up until further notice.

Unfortunately, bad luck always happens in threes it seems; and while I intended to announce my return to active duties in PWO five days ago, at the end of last week my body contracted a painful stomach bug that required me to be bedridden a lot and caused the bowels to become loose. This only finally ended last night.

At this point in time, while I have no major issues preventing a return to full activity in PWO, I've decided to continue to ignore PMs and take things steady until I'm absolutely convinced I'm in sound mind and body. I am, however, back into my regular levels of contact with other Staff and giving my advice; so watch this space for any future announcements.