Jinji's Changelog

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
My previous Changelog thread - Jinji's Staff Journal - was tailored more towards being more of a staff diary rather than an actual log of things I've done for PWO. Recently I've started to feel this is doing me a disservice; as it doesn't put focus on my contributions to PWO; and it also de-emphasises the updates I post because they get hidden by later replies. So, I've decided to start over. Taking cues from Bluerise and Luminance, here is my new Change Log; which is designed to put my work front and centre. All my contributions will be listed on this first post, newest first; as well as posted in replies to this topic as they happen. Note this thread is for serious discussion ONLY - my other thread will remain open for those who wish to continue discussions with me in a looser nature.

15 December 2023

Implemented full movesets (learnt and TMs) for... oh wait, that'd be telling ;)

15 November 2023

Fixed Pokémon Skills Bug #6621 (Koffing and Weezing can't learn Clear Smog). A server restart may be required.

3 October 2023

As noted in Web Services Bug #6619, setting your Discord username on your Forum Profile previously checked for a valid Discord Identifier, which up to now required both a name and the 4-digit Discriminator. However, earlier this year, Discord announced the retirement of discriminators, and Discord now uses actual usernames, which are unique to each person. This change had not been reflected on our Forum, and meant newer Discord users, as well as older users who have migrated to a new username, would not be able to correctly fill in the "Discord" field on their Forum Profile. This bug has now been resolved, with the Forum now being updated to the new Username syntax.

Note that as part of this change, the old discriminators (which take the form of "Username#0000" etc.) are no longer supported on the Forum and will not be accepted as valid. If your Forum Profile already has such a name set as your Discord ID, it will still be allowed, but you will need to change it the next time you update your Account details. Since Discord is retiring discriminators and will eventually require all users to adopt a username instead, I do not see the point in continuing to support the former anyway.

20 September 2023
  • Mapped all Gen V skills for 5 currently unreleased Pokémon.
  • ...and the TMs, too!

25 July 2023

Compiled a list of all Pokémon currently missing movesets in PWO.

26 June 2023
  • Mapped all Gen V skills for Shelmet and Accelgor
  • ...and the TMs for both, too!
  • And no, it wasn't me who crashed the Database earlier, although it was convenient since it means these changes went live already ;)

13-14 March 2023

Feathers.McGraw noticed during recent testing that both Cubchoo and Beartic seemed unable to learn any TMs. Following investigation myself, this was confirmed to be correct - neither Pokémon had TM Movesets defined in the database.
  • Mapped all the Gen V TMs for Cubchoo and Beartic. They should be able to learn all the TMs they would be able to from those games as of the next server restart.

23 December 2022

Compiled and uploaded the installer for the new PWO Client v1.93.3, which was tested and subsequently copied to other mirrors by the rest of the Staff.
  • Minor change to the installer: The PWO logo has been added where appropriate to the installer's logotypes, meaning it'll now appear in spots such as the top-right corner of the window, replacing the previous generic installer images. Not really important, but it was starting to bug me having generic images in our installer when we actually have a logo for the game...

25 August 2022

The update mentioned on the 17th has now been rolled out.
  • All TMs are now renamed to follow the syntax "TM - Move Name".
  • Fixed a mistake in the server's list of items that caused an off-by-one bug. This led to issues such as Amulet Coin suddenly becoming Red Balloon; and various other items not working correctly in battle.

17 August 2022

The Staff have made the decision to ditch numbers from TMs going forward in PWO, in order to allow TMs from future generations to be added without messing up the entire ordering of TMs or creating confusion when, for example, two TM36s teach different moves depending on where they were acquired. After much discussion, we've settled on all TMs now being named under the formula: "TM - (Move Name)", with no numbering. So for example, Hone Claws will now be named "TM - Hone Claws" instead of the previous "TM01".
  • Created the SQL syntax that will be required to implement this change.
  • Altered a database table related to mapping TM Skills to permit the longer names.
  • Tested item acqusition and move learning to ensure the game can handle the change correctly.

1 June 2022
  • Finished the Mysterious Man Quest for the upcoming "Sun, Sea and Hunting" event. This quest and all the NPCs involved within were a concept completely designed and written entirely by myself. The actual work on the quest took me roughly two weeks, although much of the second week was deciding where to put the last four trees; and bugfixing because it turns out, Lua is very particular over the order of operations in a script; and I'm also somewhat clumsy with variable names and ensuring commands are closed correctly >_>

<< All Entries between January 2016 and June 2022 have unfortunately been lost >>

15 December 2015

• Generated hashes for the new PWO 1.96 installer, something I forgot to do on the day of release.
  • Updated the Client Download Links topic accordingly, and removed outdated references.

13 December 2015

Compiled and released the installer for PWO 1.96.

18 November 2015

Helped Animagus write the announcement for the Occult Day Event.
Also, while the Jinji NPC that appeared during this event was NOT my idea, I did agree to its inclusion and write its dialog. I hope you enjoyed it ^-^

4 April 2015

• Wrote and compiled a patcher that allows PWO v1.95.1 to be updated to 1.95.2 without completely installing a new version; and using the minimal of space.
  • Generated hashes for the new patcher.
  • Rewrote the Client Download Links announcement post, in accordance with the newly released patcher.

21 March 2015

• Compiled, released and generated hashes for the installer for PWO v1.95.1
  • Rewrote and updated the in-game news page

16 March 2015

Compiled, released and generated hashes for the installer for PWO v1.95

9 February 2015

Updated the /help command:
  • /help Surfboard showed out-of-date pricing information for surfboards and an incorrect location for where to buy them.
  • /help IVs now mentions the /iv command.
  • /help Happiness was added to explain the happiness mechanic and how to check your Pokémon's happiness.

7 February 2015

• Fixed: Using TM01 on Slakoth would not teach Roar due to the Skill Identifier being missing.
  • Mapped all missing TMs for Vigoroth and Slaking (which turned out to be all of them except TM35). Vigoroth and Slaking can now learn all the TMs they would be able to use in Gen V games. However, TMs 05, 59 and 60 should be avoided for now as the relevant moves are not implemented in-game, so these TMs will not teach any moves at this time. I am informed this was supposed to have been done when Slaking's ability was added so I assume an error occurred somewhere along the line.
  • Fixed minor bug introduced in the 5th of January update that occasionally mixed up the order of the "shake" messages ("It shakes again..." would sometimes be shown before "It shakes... will it catch?" which was nonsensical).

5 January 2015

When you attempt to catch a Pokémon in PWO, a series of messages are shown for each time the ball shakes. Due to a small typo in this code, it was previously impossible for only two shakes to occur before the Pokémon "broke free". Coincidentally, this unintended behaviour actually mimicked that of the official Generation V Pokémon games - it is not possible for only two shakes to happen in these games either; as they only do three checks for "escape" instead of four; and the final check is on the third shake so the second shake can never fail. However, Gen V is a little old now and since the same thing wasn't meant to happen in PWO anyway, it has now been fixed :p

26 December 2014

Fully implemented the move "Wild Charge", which should work as it does in official games. Should Electrike and Manectric be made available in-game in future, they will be able to learn these moves naturally.

20 December 2014

Added a number of items which would be used for the 2014 Christmas Event; and made a few minor bugfixes.

29 November 2014

Edit:
Due to miscommunication I have crossed out the below entries. My updates today were not geared towards implementing the Hyper Cutter ability, as I had assumed it was implemented already. I simply was updating the Pokémon to use the ability in the belief that this was why they didn't work before. I now know this was incorrect - the ability is NOT correctly implemented; thus updating the entries did not add it into the game as it does not yet exist. I apologise for the misunderstanding.

• [*]Fixed a typo in the Database which meant Krabby, Kingler, Pinsir, Mawile, Trapinch, Corphish and Crawdaunt did not have Hyper Cutter listed on their Pokédex entries.
    [*]Also gave Hyper Cutter to Gligar and Gliscor :)

28 November 2014

• Implemented the following ability:
    • Levitate
    Any Pokémon which has this as their FIRST ability in official games, will now have the ability in PWO. This update did not go live until 3pm the next day due to server maintenance. Levitate currently blocks all damage and effects from Ground-type moves and Sky Drop; if you notice a move being blocked that shouldn't be, or vice versa, please inform me.

5 November 2014

Following agreed protocol that Pokémon in PWO should have their first ability from Generation V-era games as their PWO ability (until such time as PWO has support for additional abilities), changed Dragonite's ability to Inner Focus. I had planned to hold off this update until such time as I had time to update more abilities at once, but decided to implement this change early due to strong player demand. Please note this change was NOT made with the intention to nerf the Pokémon, but rather to bring its data into compliance with official policy.

Also, on the evening of 5th November I PM'd staff with a small story idea I had. Normally I wouldn't mention such things in my Changelog, but the story - which I called "Delibird's Disaster" - was a sort of prologue and ended up becoming the basis for our 2014 Christmas event. So you could say I basically wrote the main storyline for this year's event; though I can hardly claim all the credit as so many of us would work over the following weeks to come up with the final concept and then begin implementing it ;)

31 October 2014

Implemented several items used exclusively for the Halloween 2014 event.

25 October 2014

• The following attacks now work:
    • Aromatherapy
    • Heal Bell
  • Added evolution data for Gliscor. Gligar is now able to be evolved using the Razor Fang. I did not announce this previously as the Razor Fang was due to be given away during the Halloween event and we did not want to spoil the surprise (the item itself was one of the many items added in the previous update).

23 October 2014

Added data for a few new items which previously did not exist in the game's database. As none of these items are yet available, I won't mention their names until they become obtainable in the future.

15 October 2014

• Limber
    Any Pokémon which has this as their FIRST ability in official games, will now have the ability in PWO.
  • Added evolution data for Roserade. All things being well, Roselia should now be able to evolve into Roserade via Shiny Stone as of the next server restart.

14 October 2014

• Implemented the following abilities:
    • Swarm
    • Water Veil
    • Magma Armor
    • Vital Spirit
    • Insomnia
    • Immunity
    • Own Tempo
    Any Pokémon which has one of these as their FIRST ability in official games, will now have the ability in PWO.
  • In some cases, Pokémon with the abilities Magma Armor, Vital Spirit or Own Tempo only had the first word listed in their entries. These Pokémon would not have activated their abilities had this not been discovered during testing of the above. The entries have now been corrected, so all Pokémon with these abilities should now be able to use them.
  • Gave "Water Veil" ability to Wailmer and Wailord
  • Gave "Vital Spirit" ability to Delibird

10 October 2014

Made Sleep Talk fail if user is not sleeping; however the move is now entirely non-functional as I have yet to workout how to override the sleep status itself blocking the move... oops!

24 July 2014

Contributed to the Kanto Safari Zone Spawn Updates; and changed the dialogue for the Safari Zone Warden to reflect upcoming changes.

7 April 2014

Route 2 redesigned. You can now jump over to the right-side short-cut - bypassing Viridian Forest - by going up to the small trees blocking the route and pressing Space to interact with them, as long as you have the Thunder Badge or greater. Your Pokémon will lift you over the bush automatically. Previously NPCs were required to offer this short-cut, but they have now been removed. (Collaboration between myself (dialogue), Luminance (in-game code) and Thugie (server code and implementation).

1 July 2013

In the event of Selfdestruct or Explosion also knocking out the opposing Pokémon, the exploding Pokémon will not gain EXP.

20 June 2013

After numerous bug reports and assistance from both Teck and Bluerise, finally discovered a bug preventing the previous update from working in the case of Sleep and fixed it.

26 May 2013

• Implemented "...is already Asleep/Confused/Paralysed/etc" check. The battle system will no longer attempt to inflict a Status Ailment on a Pokémon if the target Pokémon already has the same Status Ailment.
  • "(Pokémon) is Confused!" no longer appears before "snapped out of confusion" on the turn where the Pokémon snaps out.

19 January 2013

Fixed a bug with the phpBB Forum software that occasionally causes a user whose session times out and gets logged out while writing a post or PM, to be taken to the index when re-logging into the Forum, rather than to the "Post New Topic / PM / Reply" page as expected. Now users should ALWAYS go back to the page they were originally on.

9 January 2013

Discussed with Hardcoreh a system for "docking" PM windows into a panel right of the client, that can be revealed or hidden (http://forum.pokemon-world-online.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15&start=100#p179794). Aiming to see this implemented in the new client.

Unknown date

Poké Ball shaking. Poké Balls now shake up to three times before catching a Pokémon, only succeeding if the Pokémon fails to break out after the third shake (as is the standard of all main series Pokémon games). Number of shakes before breaking out is randomised each time. Currently this is communicated via in-battle messages; but I'm hoping for a future Client Update to suppress these and add an actual animation (I do not work on the client).

7 October 2011

Publicly launched the Token Store along with Bluerise after many days' testing.

19 September 2011

Because people kept PMing me asking it, added "How do I save my Game" to the PWO Wiki's FAQ.

29 August 2011

• Disabled /password command in-game, in preparation for upcoming Playerdex update linking account and Forum logins to the same credentials
  • Along with Bluerise, wrote the email verification system.
  • Increased limits for Staff PM Inboxes and maximum recipients on the Forum (this refers to our old SMF Forum which we have since migrated from)
  • Designed a personal avatar for myself for the first time

26 August 2011

Fixed improper permissions for some Staff commands

Last edited:

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Added a substantial new update, which will be live as soon as the game is restarted to enable access to players (should be in the next few minutes ;) )

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
Good to see our dear Gengar committed to improve the game. From my view changelogs are important to keep the community informed about updates that don't require a full announcement and also guide our performance in the game. Also now the question ''What's he doing behind the scenes'' is finally answered.

Thanks Jinji. :D

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Two new updates today, which should go live the next time the server is restarted.

Keeping it a bit simple today as I feel a little unwell.

Dragon16

Youngster
Jinji said:
15 October 2014

• Limber
    Any Pokémon which has this as their FIRST ability in official games, will now have the ability in PWO.
  • Added evolution data for Roserade. All things being well, Roselia should now be able to evolve into Roserade via Shiny Stone as of the next server restart.

Cant wait to get Roesrade :D :D :D :D

Arch.

Jinji said:
Added evolution data for Roserade. All things being well, Roselia should now be able to evolve into Roserade via Shiny Stone as of the next server restart.

Now Budew become a 7 vouchers bundle or to get Roserade i need to purchase Budew egg for the poke and Togepi egg only for the stone (10 vouchers :eek: ) ?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I had to ask the Staff what you meant by this, as it was unclear to me. I believe though you're referring to how Togepi has a bundle with the Shiny Stone for 7 Tokens; and you're wondering if Budew will get a similar bundle? To my knowledge, there are no plans to do this at this point in time; but I will bring up the matter with the other Staff for discussion.

On a personal note, I really like your current avatar and sig combination, Arch :)

Arch.

Jinji said:
I had to ask the Staff what you meant by this, as it was unclear to me. I believe though you're referring to how Togepi has a bundle with the Shiny Stone for 7 Tokens; and you're wondering if Budew will get a similar bundle? To my knowledge, there are no plans to do this at this point in time; but I will bring up the matter with the other Staff for discussion.

On a personal note, I really like your current avatar and sig combination, Arch :)

Oh thanks for the note Jinji, i like to make my signatures and ghost pokemon are my favorite type :) and yes it is exactly what I meant about Budew.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm Brazilian

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
If your Pokémon have been feeling under the weather recently, the most recent update may just cheer them up - Aromatherapy and Heal Bell! The new moves should be live and useable by any Pokémon which learns the move right... NOW!

Jinga

when we cant even switch in battle's how is aromatherapy and heal bell gonna help in battle's ???

Saric

Youngster
Jinga said:
when we cant even switch in battle's how is aromatherapy and heal bell gonna help in battle's ???
You can switch. It should be fully functioning. People just refuse to for some weird reason.

The-Predator

Youngster
Saric said:
Jinga said:
You can switch. It should be fully functioning. People just refuse to for some weird reason.

No weird reasons, without entry hazards, phazing moves, held items, more TMs, lots of broken moves, lack of moves, wheather conditions, and all of the pokemon having thier abilities, theres no way for switching to be accepted in PWO

Goku-

Bloody-Venom said:
Saric said:
Jinga said:

No weird reasons, without entry hazards, phazing moves, held items, more TMs, lots of broken moves, lack of moves, wheather conditions, and all of the pokemon having thier abilities, theres no way for switching to be accepted in PWO

This is true in the fact that switching probably won't be accepted in PWO until it becomes more balanced in terms of moves and natures which will add varitey. Without switching, battles now seem all about luck(I guess it does play a part, I just liked the old rock-paper-scissors battling). I also find that while switching, sometimes the opponents Pokemon HP bar glitches. Maybe this is only happening to me I'm not sure. Maybe we can start trying to switch in battles to try it out? I mean it couldn't hurt.

Thanks for the updates Jinji :)

DomT.

Youngster
Hey Jinj,Look into this,it seems to be weird that ice shard can miss,since it is 100% accu move also last time when i battled with my friend i got discharge missed.but then i forgot to take a SS but now i got this one here it is
DHNJX56.png

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I know this has been discussed on the Forum before, but I am too tired to search right now.

Due to some quirk of PWO's current battle logic, which may be due to some calculations being based on pre-Gen IV mechanics in desperate need of updating, in PWO it's still possible for a 100% accuracy move to miss on extremely rare occasions. I don't really understand this myself, but it's something we are looking into.

Saric

Youngster
Jinji said:
I know this has been discussed on the Forum before, but I am too tired to search right now.

Due to some quirk of PWO's current battle logic, which may be due to some calculations being based on pre-Gen IV mechanics in desperate need of updating, in PWO it's still possible for a 100% accuracy move to miss on extremely rare occasions. I don't really understand this myself, but it's something we are looking into.
Just to note, only in Gen 1 was it possible to miss a 100% accuracy move. Also, the excerpt from bulba explains why, though I doubt it'd be useful in PWO's case.
This was due to accuracy being internally calculated as a fraction of 256, when the highest internal accuracy a move could possess was 255 (FF in hexadecimal, and the highest value expressible in a single byte), yielding an accuracy of 99.6%.

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
Considering bug used to be weak to poison in pwo (which handheldwise only was the case in gen 1), i wouldn't be too surprised if that ended up being the issue with accuracy as well