IV Sniffer for wild pokemon

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
I wanted some way to tell how good an enemy pokemon is for a long time, and I haven't figured out a good way, until now.

In the official games there are ways to tell if a wild pokemon is any good, I mean, the games show you which stats are maxed, and which are low, and not specifically what they are other than a colored dot to indicate its quality, or something like that.

At first, my idea was to show the IVs, but I know staff won't go for that. -_- I modified the idea over and over, and came up with:

Create a message that tells the "Grand Total" of the IVs combined, not the specific IVs. Then we can tell if it is good, without actually knowing what the IVs are.

Since the official pokemon games have a means of telling if a wild pokemon is high quality or not, we need to bring something like that here, and this is the best solution I could think of.

whisMEAT

Youngster
i would say it would ruin the fun of hunting but since the original games had such a thing it could be done. personally i dont want it which i will benefit if it comes since i spend less time then old school hunters. but if it would come i think it should be voted by hunters at first.

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
What is the real problem with showing the ivs, other than a general we don't want to do it? You are still going to have to hunt and put in just as much time in finding a pokemon with the stats you are looking for. Only issue i can see is that less might be spent on pokeballs and that is already such a negligible cost it doesn't matter. The grand total idea can also work if the reason for not using an iv system is actually damaging.

Isguros

Youngster
In the official games there are ways to tell if a wild pokemon is any good

Was this really the case? In recent generations it would only show you the Pokemon's potential in specific situations; like raid battles, or whatever the method of shiny hunting was. Other than those I don't remember a feature similar as the one you described has ever been present in the official Pokemon games.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
raid battles

That may be what I am talking about. I can't remember it well, I just know that I could see that the pokemon has good IVs before I could catch it, not necessarily what the exact IVs were though, other than if it was MAX.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
What is the real problem with showing the ivs

it would ruin the fun of hunting

There are others that feel the same way. So, if the"IV Sniffer" showed the IVs directly it would be 0 fun for these people. Which is why I compromised and came up with just showing the Total Sum of the IVs. I am trying to find a somewhat balanced solution that falls between the players that enjoy catching thousands of pokes and playing the lottery, and those like me that hate that colossal waste of time, money, and effort. Time is a Real Life precious resource, and we only have so much we can invest. To me, catching thousands of garbage pokemon in hopes that 1 will be any good is too big of an investment.

Another reason I suggest this is because staff won't allow breeding, so the ONLY way to get good IVs is to catch pokemon. If staff wants to implement breeding then I'd give up on this idea immediately. Otherwise, I hate to feel like my opinion is worthless/ doesn't matter, and have it just get thrown away.

There is still plenty of potential to run from many great pokemon using this compromise, while maintaining the ability to tell if a pokemon is absolute garbage. It is also possible to catch garbage pokes who have compromised "Important Stats" but have their other stats being high, so those who play the lottery can still have some fun. It will be less fun for them, but not absolutely ZERO fun for them, while making hunting more fun for me since I have absolutely ZERO fun having to hunt their way.

I've put a lot of thought into this and I think the foundation is pretty solid. Though, it will likely take years to implement. -_-

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
This is a feature than can come with a toggle feature so if you want it enable it and if you want the surprise you don't have to. Although I think the people that wouldn't use or not want this might be a very small amount.

Last edited:

thunderclap

Youngster
I agree that hunting IVs is a massive chore, largely due to inability to release pokes outside of the PC. However I think "Total IVs" detection would make it too easy for hunters, and would destroy the 20+ IV market/economy overnight. That would be unfair to players like Kingstone whose whole wealth resides in such pokemon.

How about instead introducing 6 new held items, each of which would give you hints about their corresponding stats?

Mass Specs = HP
Stud Specs = Atk
Protec Specs = Def
Special Specs = SpAtk
Sturdy Specs = SpDef
Speed Specs = Speed

For example:
IVs 0-9 "Parasect's Speed Specs are finding nothing fast."
IVs 10-19 "... have detected a possible moving lifeform!"
IVs 20-29 "... masterfully track and focus a blurred object with phenomenal speed!
IVs 30-31 "... nearly fell off due to the intense burning reaction!

Different messages for each item would be fun. The 30-31 message could be the same for all items, to make it easier for non-English players. Jinji would be good at writing these, or someone smarter than me.

This detection ability is already basically possible using custom hunting pokes, so the effect on the economy would be limited.

Switching pokes would allow you to test other stats, but it would take time, so it wouldn't make things overly easy.

Using held IV sniffing items comes at a cost because it precludes use of Power Items, Leftovers, or other held items. They could have the same 50% speed penalty as power items, optionally.

These items would make it easier to sniff IVs of pokes that are likely to teleport, self destruct, use Perish Song or priority moves, etc.

Would make good prizes for Battle Tower

Last edited:

whisMEAT

Youngster
I agree that hunting IVs is a massive chore, largely due to inability to release pokes outside of the PC. However I think "Total IVs" detection would make it too easy for hunters, and would destroy the 20+ IV market/economy overnight. That would be unfair to players like Kingstone whose whole wealth resides in such pokemon.

How about instead introducing 6 new held items, each of which would give you hints about their corresponding stats?

Mass Specs = HP
Stud Specs = Atk
Protec Specs = Def
Special Specs = SpAtk
Sturdy Specs = SpDef
Speed Specs = Speed

For example:
IVs 0-9 "Parasect's Speed Specs are finding nothing fast."
IVs 10-19 "... have detected a possible moving lifeform!"
IVs 20-29 "... masterfully track and focus a blurred object with phenomenal speed!
IVs 30-31 "... nearly fell off due to the intense burning reaction!

Different messages for each item would be fun. The 30-31 message could be the same for all items, to make it easier for non-English players. Jinji would be good at writing these, or someone smarter than me.

This detection ability is already basically possible using custom hunting pokes, so the effect on the economy would be limited.

Switching pokes would allow you to test other stats, but it would take time, so it wouldn't make things overly easy.

Using held IV sniffing items comes at a cost because it precludes use of Power Items, Leftovers, or other held items. They could have the same 50% speed penalty as power items, optionally.

These items would make it easier to sniff IVs of pokes that are likely to teleport, self destruct, use Perish Song, etc.

Would make good prizes for Battle Tower
noiiicee .this seems a good wayto do it. both practical and blocks lame effects
i liked ur descriptions xd