It has been a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
It was good to hear news about Zammbi, but unfortunately a part of the living history of PWO was deleted. :(

magevideogames

Hello. While we never met, I must say thank you for helping getting this game started. I must say, I would love to get my hands on the source though. haven't touched Java in a bit and it would give me an excuse to get back into it :p

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
magevideogames said:
Hello. While we never met, I must say thank you for helping getting this game started. I must say, I would love to get my hands on the source though. haven't touched Java in a bit and it would give me an excuse to get back into it :p

Magevideogames / Zammbi ? Or im not understanding at all ? :p

Abyssalrider

i apologize for rezzing this thread, but i remember Zammbi, he was the one who stickied my help thread of the direct3d inilizations issue i made back in like 2009-2010.

zammbi

So my workmate brought up PWO, and we had to look up and see if it was still around. I'm glad it is.
I had a few memories flooding back after reading some of the history on wiki.

I was surprised no one has taken my username, and I reregistered it. I had to log in and say hi once again.

Here is a blast from the past:

justme1306

Youngster
i like how it says u can go fullscreen and that video is from 2008 and 2019 still cant use fullscreen :p nice to have you back and gl in game if ur planning to play :)

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Zammbi's video demonstrates the Java client, a prototype PWO client written in Java which was sadly never completed; though alpha versions were made available for a short time. It's funny to think how modern it looked compared to the actual PWO client of the time; and there were even features planned for it that were only recently introduced to the current client. *Sigh...*

Klay

Youngster
Java is unstable as hell tho (at least all games I played that used it are)

zammbi

"nice to have you back"
Just passing by :)

"which was sadly never completed"
Indeed. Shane was just too good and continued with the VB6 client. Saw no point in continuing. I hope it's no longer VB6...

"Java is unstable as hell tho"
It's just as stable as any other language. However, lacking professional gaming tools compared to other languages the last time I looked.

These days most modern games use some kind of gaming engine and you use a scripting language. If I was going to build a game I would look at using Unity these days.

"and there were even features planned for it that were only recently introduced to the current client"
Ah funny.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Honestly Zammbi, I wish you had continued. Maintaining and building on legacy code is never fun; and it would also have been great to have a cross-platform client for the first time. But that's just my opinion - I do not speak for the entire Staff. I'm sure these days you would not have the time to volunteer for such a major project anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.