Increase time before being kicked by being AFK

mad30

Youngster
Getting kicked from the server was implemented years ago due to the server often being full and to make sure players who were in game were actually playing and not just idling. The reason for the implementation is no longer as major of a concern, the server cap is much lower now and I while I have not been back for long, I highly doubt it gets full often (please correct me if I am wrong).

While I do not support removing the afk check, I do believe the time could be increased. I often like to play pwo while I do other things (watch TV, chat with ppl) and there are times I will simply stop playing for a few minutes then when I return see that I have been kicked. This is rather annoying and cumbersome for a feature I do not believe needs to be used as much.

What are other players thoughts and feelings on this topic?

Belemuel

I believe it should be increased to 10 mins as you clearly stated mad that yeah people have other things going on like family t.v and other things so yeah I believe that it increased to 10 mins max or 8 min would be ideal.

mad30

Youngster
Belemuel said:
I believe it should be increased to 10 mins as you clearly stated mad that yeah people have other things going on like family t.v and other things so yeah I believe that it increased to 10 mins max or 8 min would be ideal.
I thought it was already 10 minutes from the time you are marked "AFK", with a 5 minute warning.

Belemuel

mad30 said:
Belemuel said:
I thought it was already 10 minutes from the time you are marked "AFK", with a 5 minute warning.
Oh I thought it was 7mins 5mins afk warning then kick at 7 not sure but you may be right my bad.

Electrofreak

i would support an increase, or an afk check. I have made this suggestion a few times before myself.

mad30

Youngster
Just tested it.

you are marked 'afk' after a minute of inactivity.
you are then receive the 5 minute warning, 4 minutes after that, or after 5 miutes of being inactive.
You are kicked due to being inactive after 10 minutes of being inactive.

Belemuel

So they should extend the inactive kick to at least 15 minutes.

So it would be like marked "afk" after 1min.
Receive a 10min warning at 5mins of inactivity.
Then get reminded at 5minutes left till inactivity kick, then a 1minute warning till kick.

mad30

Youngster
Belemuel said:
So they should extend the inactive kick to at least 15 minutes.

So it would be like marked "afk" after 1min.
Receive a 10min warning at 5mins of inactivity.
Then get reminded at 5minutes left till inactivity kick, then a 1minute warning till kick.

Not sure if a 10 minute warning is needed. Doesn't really accomplish that much when you are that far away from being kicked in respect to how long you have been afk.

Luminance

Youngster
Developer
Interesting math!

A player is marked as AFK after 60 seconds of inactivity, a warning is issued after 5 minutes of inactivity, and an automatic log-out happens after 7 minutes.

Assuming that the AFK timer actually needs to be increased, what suitable times do you think would be best?

Electrofreak

Luminance said:
Interesting math!

A player is marked as AFK after 60 seconds of inactivity, a warning is issued after 5 minutes of inactivity, and an automatic log-out happens after 7 minutes.

Assuming that the AFK timer actually needs to be increased, what suitable times do you think would be best?

I would like 20 minutes given the server capacity. Sometimes I get called into a conversation while on a trip to the bathroom, or tab out for a while to read an article. I feel like 20 minutes is long enough to prepare a snack, use the bathroom, and make a phone call before returning to your computer.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Consider this then. It has been discussed by both staff and players and I would personally like to see rewards in the future for things like pokedex entries, PvP wins, hunting successes etc, and of course ingame time. The chance to exploit some of these things and get away with it should be reduced before we consider adding them. Extending the AFK timer to 20 minutes would make sitting on an AFK account just to get an ingame hour reward would make such a reward easier to exploit not harder.

There are also other ways ingame hours can be exploited, for instance by scammers who don't want players to reconsider trading with them because they only have 30 hours on their accounts.

How hard is it to log back in after you've been afk for 7 minutes? I agree it can be annoying but personally I don't think it's a game killer.

mad30

Youngster
HitmonFonty said:
Consider this then. It has been discussed by both staff and players and I would personally like to see rewards in the future for things like pokedex entries, PvP wins, hunting successes etc, and of course ingame time. The chance to exploit some of these things and get away with it should be reduced before we consider adding them. Extending the AFK timer to 20 minutes would make sitting on an AFK account just to get an ingame hour reward would make such a reward easier to exploit not harder.

There are also other ways ingame hours can be exploited, for instance by scammers who don't want players to reconsider trading with them because they only have 30 hours on their accounts.

How hard is it to log back in after you've been afk for 7 minutes? I agree it can be annoying but personally I don't think it's a game killer.

just program it so when your afk your ingame hours isnt added? Idk how this work but the way it is now it's abuse-able. Just like pvp wins can be accumulated by intentionally having someone lose to you.

Saric

Youngster
HitmonFonty said:

No matter what you set it to or extend it by there's always going to be a way to exploit it.

Even if you keep it the way it is now, people just have to move once more often than they would have if it were set to 20 minutes. It's a bit of a pointless argument to make.

Electrofreak

Saric said:
HitmonFonty said:

No matter what you set it to or extend it by there's always going to be a way to exploit it.

Even if you keep it the way it is now, people just have to move once more often than they would have if it were set to 20 minutes. It's a bit of a pointless argument to make.

I agree with bird brain.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
PvP needs more security I agree with that. Ingame hours doesn't need less, that is my contention here. Saying everything is exploitable isn't much of a counter-argument.

If we could make it so afk hours aren't counted that would be a fair exchange for a longer afk kick timer. So once that minute is up and you are marked away your ingame hours stop counting.

Electrofreak

HitmonFonty said:
PvP needs more security I agree with that. Ingame hours doesn't need less, that is my contention here. Saying everything is exploitable isn't much of a counter-argument.

If we could make it so afk hours aren't counted that would be a fair exchange for a longer afk kick timer. So once that minute is up and you are marked away your ingame hours stop counting.

I don't really care how or with what restriction, but a longer time is needed. To answer the above question, yes it is that annoying. When I am afk for a minute and someone PMs me,then proceed to log out, I may have missed something. It also is annoying when you are in the middle of a chat and have to leave to help with something IRL and then come back with your game logged out and you forgot who you were talking to if it wasnt one of your good friends.

P.S. I don't want to have to rush my poops just to get back to a conversation.

mad30

Youngster
I please ask all GM's restrain from posting in this NON-GM related topic.

CG's and Admins feel free to post at will, GE's please post if have to do with content that this may affect.

Simply put, I should not have to worry about being kicked out when I am posting on a topic or reading a really long post from a staff member.
Electro should not have to rush, potentially staining his undergarments and having to wash them.
Saric should not have to.. well I am not sure what saric does but w/e he does he should be able to do with without having to worry about getting the boot!

mad30

Youngster
Luminance said:
Interesting math!

wow.. I just assumed the 5 minute warning would be there is 5 minutes... not 2. Didn't bother to keep track after that point.

BrownCactus

Luminance said:
If user is in a PvP do not change it. In matter of fact, decrease it by two minutes due to culture and obvious reasons.
If user is not in a PvP increase it by by all together for 10 minutes, with warnings and everything. So a three minute increase.

To add, Fonty does have a point with abusing the AFK expansion system and one can simply must figure that out. But then again it does not take much to make a tool to auto-refresh the game every once in a while and most of the bots do have it as a built in feature due to obvious reasons. I would even go that far and make commands not to disrupt the AFK process applying said disruption to only steps and sending packets to chats in the form of a text. The game itself aims to use less commands and make them more GUI based anyway. When you move the Pokemon via GUI interaction you get the AFK count reset anyway.