in Game avatar

Grivin

Youngster
there is already a team rocket avatar in the game folder, is it possible to make a quest that allows us to join them and changes our avatar into team rocket?

Cleveland

Youngster
So apparently there used to be a Team Rocket guild of sorts and its members were granted the ability to use the Team Rocket sprite in game. This is still available for those older members. I know @ShinySentretPlease still uses it. I've seen staff members such as @Sorey with it as well.

Unfortunately, it is not been made available to anyone else at this point, as far as I know. I too would be interested in using it.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I have no knowledge of a Team Rocket Guild with custom sprites of which you mention. Unless this was something from the very very early days of PWO, before the existing Guild system was developed, no Guild has ever had its own custom spriteset implemented into the game. (This having been said, I have often wondered why those specific sheets exist..)

Sprites from sets 3-7 are not publicly available for players to use; and exist primarily for testing purposes only. While some players have sprites from one or more of these sets as a result of rogue behaviour by a former developer, they are not officially supported and may be removed in the future (as there's plans to allow for a greater variety of sprites in a future release, with various different ideas being considered such as allowing people to choose a different "generational" sprite). Players who have these sprites may, for now, continue to use them.

(Of note, I'm also one of the Staff members using Set 5 as my in-game sprite; though I have customised my client so that this gives me a custom Gengar sprite. The "Team Rocket" sprite the rest of you see is but an illusion. I would release the files to allow you all to see myself in my "true" guise, but I fear some of you would attempt to steal the look for yourself.)

As relates to the suggestion itself - I must admit, I find the idea of a quest that would allow you to masquerade as a "villain" quite an intriguing proposal - and there is already a kind of precedent, as HeartGold and SoulSilver had a storyline which allowed you to dress as a Neo Team Rocket member briefly to gain access to a building they were controlling. This having been said, it has long been the view that Team Rocket should not make any appearance in PWO since it's theoretically set 10 years in the future, long after the team disbanded. Perhaps we could create something more original instead...

Last edited:

Pansy

Resident Harlequin
Game Moderator
The Team Rocket sprites were given out by an old staff member for no real purposes.
We understand this can be upsetting for other players to see; especially those who were around at the time this happened. There have been talks about implementing new avatars some time in the future so players have more of a selection, though I could not say when that will happen or how they will be unlocked to the players.
I do like the idea of quest unlocks though as opposed to possibly having to gain it through a less fairer means.
As for staff members, yeah, there's a few of us with Rocket skins. Skins are changed through the server which requires a single command by a staff member with the privileges, so a small selection of staff requesting it is a bit different to a protentional 50.

If you would just like the cosmetic change and don't really care what others are seeing you can go into your PWO folder and find the client skins. There, replace the Rocket avatar skins name with the one you are currently using in game (which I imagine is just 1 or 2). Again, this only changes what you see.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
no Guild has ever had its own custom spriteset implemented

This seems like a good idea. Gotta #Represent

Lets make it an official suggestion.

I do like the idea of quest unlocks

That's what I was suggesting a while ago. Do daycare quests for the daycare center, earn the daycare sprite. Do ranger quests, get ranger sprite, beat all he gyms, BT, E4, etc. and some other quests, and get an Expert sprite. I could go on and on.

On a side note, requests to use the Team Rocket Sprites number in the dozens at least, and date back many, many years. Fun Fact.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
This seems like a good idea. Gotta #Represent

Lets make it an official suggestion.

That's what I was suggesting a while ago. Do daycare quests for the daycare center, earn the daycare sprite. Do ranger quests, get ranger sprite, beat all he gyms, BT, E4, etc. and some other quests, and get an Expert sprite. I could go on and on.

On a side note, requests to use the Team Rocket Sprites number in the dozens at least, and date back many, many years. Fun Fact.
Not going to lie, I love this suggestion!