How to make "easy" money into the game?

Crysgan

Hello to everyone!!

we've all heard enough people say, "I don't have any money, so I can't buy".

Is a problem that the game currently has that affects all, or almost all.

Why not trying for ourselfs?

My suggestion is for the players.

My idea would be to suggest all players join one day a week or for example 2 days a month to battle together all npcs and kill pokemons.

There´re many places for we do that, like MT Silver, CC or DD.

I´m sure this will help the new/old players and will help the game, because all of us will have much more power for buy pokemons, itens others things.

Maybe our economy survives! who knows? I think we should try and see if work!

Hope my suggestion was good and good game to all!:)

Boora

Youngster
Personally i think people mean make money as in to buy shiny pokes above tier one.
and due to low population atm, they're right, unless you get lucky/buy tokens, you wont be able to afford a shiny tauros for example.
while back in the day when there were people around, you could sell EPIC pokes, none shiny ones, for tens and sometimes hundreds of mils ,
epic larvs,bagons,dratinis, even t3's like tauros or scyther.
nowadays these wont fetch anything, same goes for max spd t1 shinies.

with that being said, i do like the idea of community events, so i'm all for that, and if people can make a few thousand from this a week why not.

Kingstone

I think it is worthwhile to make this attempt, but a suggestion that could help, would be some type of item or event bonus that would double the money at the end of the battle (wild), so the player could get more money during the event and still make the objectives of the event.

furchia

no i guess the biggest problem is the "middle class" of players in pwo. i mean it's absence. there are some old and wealthy players like dragon, ahmed, boora etc and... some newbies that just entered because of coronae etc... wealthy players can buy some stuff from each other but when you post some good stuff i guess there are many offers like 500 pd, 2 pokeballs, some rats with shi...ty ivs am i right? and medium stuff prices drops dramatically from what they were even a year ago. like battle tower items, shinies new t1 rare (like arca, vulp, rapi, octi) etc. stuff that costed +70-100 mln a year ago cost the same now (though you can have some problems to sell it i guess).

Mallow-

Youngster
Yes, the gap between the very rich and the others be far too big.
But I do not believe in "easy money" - I believe people should earn things.
But, I do believe PWO needs more ways to make bigger sums of money.
Something repeatable with a good payout be a great idea :)

Crysgan

This post may also serve to suggest something to staff.
I gave a suggestion that implies that all players follow and that in a way would help.
There are other ways like events like we've had (the event we had to "kill" bidoofs), tournaments, quests...
I just think something should be done.

thunderclap

Youngster
One advantage of LUA is it enables NPC levels/strength scaled to your own strength, iirc. If I have level 100 pokes in my team, I should never have to fight against NPCs with level 10 pokes.

Klay

Youngster
In case you didn't know, staff released 3 events this year, each time with a "kill poks to get quest items" parts, there are several features with rewards you can buy and sell (EQ, Roar, quartz quests and Battle Tower for example) and at least 3 players are hosting events right now (tournaments/hunting contest)
Something is constantly being done

Boora

Youngster
no i guess the biggest problem is the "middle class" of players in pwo. i mean it's absence. there are some old and wealthy players like dragon, ahmed, boora etc and... some newbies that just entered because of coronae etc... wealthy players can buy some stuff from each other but when you post some good stuff i guess there are many offers like 500 pd, 2 pokeballs, some rats with shi...ty ivs am i right? and medium stuff prices drops dramatically from what they were even a year ago. like battle tower items, shinies new t1 rare (like arca, vulp, rapi, octi) etc. stuff that costed +70-100 mln a year ago cost the same now (though you can have some problems to sell it i guess).

That's because there is no way to make money in this game that isn't dependat on MAJOR luck factor or an active community, and it's something that can't be fixed without ruining the game, yes they could add things that make you 1-5m a day, but than every shiny that was worth 50m going to be worth 150m within a week,
We can only fix this game by getting new people to STAY and give it time.

MaxTribiani

I think it's a great idea, because that way we can work not only on the game economy but also on community interaction and unity

thunderclap

Youngster
That's because there is no way to make money in this game that isn't dependat on MAJOR luck factor or an active community, and it's something that can't be fixed without ruining the game, yes they could add things that make you 1-5m a day, but than every shiny that was worth 50m going to be worth 150m within a week,
We can only fix this game by getting new people to STAY and give it time.
How do we get people to stay? By telling them it's hopeless, that they will probably never make enough money to buy even one of those 50m pokemons? That they will need to spend real money to get the slightest edge? That they can hunt for 15 hours+ on average to find a pokemon that's in all likelihood worthless? All that combined with the message that the game isn't really being updated? No!

-Add a way to get FREE 3-7 day memberships. Non-trade-able. Random dropped item would be ideal since it'd encourage people to faint pokes (thereby grinding money) instead of running. Make them extremely hard to find - this at least gives hope. Many people are EXTREMELY averse to microtransactions and anything resembling pay-to-win, and will quit instantly just out of principle.

-Add a pokemon-trade-in NPC so those 15+ hour fruitless grinds give some kind of predictable reward, even if small. Give players money, shiny luck points, a random prize (eggs), etc. Accept only pokemon caught after a certain caught date so it's fair for everyone.

-Scale wild pokemon and/or NPC levels to your own team's level. Right now everyone always uses "Run" because you get like 14pd per pokemon you faint in most areas. Nobody has any money and prices are in free-fall on the mart.

-Publish the token store shiny rates. Not doing so is very unethical, given the age of many of our players.

-Change up some of the spawns in the game.. not necessarily to make them easier, just different.

-Despite all intentions for balancing, the above might reduce some pokemons values. However it will benefit everyone who plays actively, and we all win because PWO is more active. Prices are extremely fluid as it is, and you have to play actively in order to buy/sell knowledgeably. A big advantage of the above suggestions is they should be relatively easy to code/implement, so they needn't be postponed for the extreme long-term.

-The elephant in the room: client update and new pokes/region(s). If they're needed, make it easier for programmers to join the team. At least give us some truthful glimpses behind the scenes, not spin-doctor politician positivity.

I'm saying all this while appreciating all the efforts PWO staff is doing. Ignoring the usual background hum of negativity, 2020 has been a really strong year for PWO so far, thanks to all the great staffmembers' efforts. So I'm not making these suggestions because I'm ungrateful, but because motivation doesn't come from a vacuum; it's always easier to work from momentum rather than from a standstill.

Last edited:

DeZoLa

Youngster
Very good suggestions. But.......................................
What is said in the forum stays in the forum.

Boora

Youngster
How do we get people to stay? By telling them it's hopeless, that they will probably never make enough money to buy even one of those 50m pokemons? That they will need to spend real money to get the slightest edge? That they can hunt for 15 hours+ on average to find a pokemon that's in all likelihood worthless? All that combined with the message that the game isn't really being updated? No!

-Add a way to get FREE 3-7 day memberships. Non-trade-able. Random dropped item would be ideal since it'd encourage people to faint pokes (thereby grinding money) instead of running. Make them extremely hard to find - this at least gives hope. Many people are EXTREMELY averse to microtransactions and anything resembling pay-to-win, and will quit instantly just out of principle.

-Add a pokemon-trade-in NPC so those 15+ hour fruitless grinds give some kind of predictable reward, even if small. Give players money, shiny luck points, a random prize (eggs), etc. Accept only pokemon caught after a certain caught date so it's fair for everyone.

-Scale wild pokemon and/or NPC levels to your own team's level. Right now everyone always uses "Run" because you get like 14pd per pokemon you faint in most areas. Nobody has any money and prices are in free-fall on the mart.

-Publish the token store shiny rates. Not doing so is very unethical, given the age of many of our players.

-Change up some of the spawns in the game.. not necessarily to make them easier, just different.

-Despite all intentions for balancing, the above might reduce some pokemons values. However it will benefit everyone who plays actively, and we all win because PWO is more active. Prices are extremely fluid as it is, and you have to play actively in order to buy/sell knowledgeably. A big advantage of the above suggestions is they should be relatively easy to code/implement, so they needn't be postponed for the extreme long-term.

-The elephant in the room: client update and new pokes/region(s). If they're needed, make it easier for programmers to join the team. At least give us some truthful glimpses behind the scenes, not spin-doctor politician positivity.

I'm saying all this while appreciating all the efforts PWO staff is doing. Ignoring the usual background hum of negativity, 2020 has been a really strong year for PWO so far, thanks to all the great staffmembers' efforts. So I'm not making these suggestions because I'm ungrateful, but because motivation doesn't come from a vacuum; it's always easier to work from momentum rather than from a standstill.

No, we get them to stay by doing exactly what you suggested and more, but when you're around for years, and none of this happens, people get frasturated, and stop believing, hence the talk of a dead game etc , i even said it at one point, it's not out of spite or wanting the game to die, it's just that when there are months upon months and sometimes years without an update that (i'm not a coder) but pretty much every coder i met says should take -month at most, (not talking about new client, any small updates, like quests,maps etc ) it just seems doomed from the outside,
but i do know lee and the staff do work hard when they can,and it's a free game that they do as a hobby, so at the end of the day it's a catch 22 for old players and you can't blame them for saying what they say, just need to talk to them and explain that it's not a good look when a new player sees it .

edit: .
he'll i'm down for a clean slate, after more than 10 years it's fair, no more old/new, no more "old players have all the money"
no more "new commons shinys are worthless" and this is coming from a "funded" player.

thunderclap

Youngster
A clean slate would be too far in my opinion. Old players worked for their things, nothing is easy. The best we should do is make it not impossible to grow wealth for people who are willing to stick around. A tax on the wealthy would be better than starting over. For some players the sunk cost doctrine is a substantial factor keeping them playing PWO. There's always towel events if anyone chooses for their own reasons to start with a personal fresh slate.

Last edited:

Jobey

Jr. Trainer

Nice post, and I agree with most of what you had to say and I do like some of your suggestions, but at a certain point it's preaching to the choir so to speak. The issue is we have one staff member doing 85% of the work with maybe another doing 14% and the rest combined for the other 1%, again, staff do it for free so can't really fault them though it can be frustrating/disappointing for some players. But that's just the way it is so as players, all we can do is continue to be patient with the pace they work (no matter how exasperating it is) and do our best to help keep the game going to the greatest of our own abilities with player hosted events, tournaments, and such or any other actions we may be able to take. Sorry my post may be a bit off subject XD but back on the subject at hand, there truly is no easy way to make money in the current economy with out some grinding, wheeling, dealing, and lots of luck. The simple fact is that there will always be a huge gap between old players and new players no matter what game is played or what measures are taken, but if we can obtain and keep many new players we can eventually build and maintain a strong middle class that in the end can drastically improve the overall economy.

shodan21

Youngster
A clean slate would be too far in my opinion. Old players worked for their things, nothing is easy. The best we should do is make it not impossible to grow wealth for people who are willing to stick around. A tax on the wealthy would be better than starting over. For some players the sunk cost doctrine is a substantial factor keeping them playing PWO. There's always towel events if anyone chooses for their own reasons to start with a personal fresh slate.

yeah no, if i had to restart, i absolutely would go somewhere else. the majority of my good pokes are my OT, not purchases, so that's literally throwing 2400+ hours away and theres no way id stick around after that.

Redwaller66

Need to make a demand for "middle class" pokemon, non shiny rares, etc. AKA more newbies staying around. Like me. =P

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
The "QUEST" For Money!

they could add things that make you 1-5m a day, but than every shiny that was worth 50m going to be worth 150m within a week,

So what you're saying is that rare pokemon will regain their lost value? That is more of a rhetorical question.

That is how the game use to work. Players could make tons of money, and everything cost tons of money. There were transactions that cost several BILLION PD worth of trades. There's player accounts who have MAXed money, what's that? 2 - 4 Billion? I'm pretty sure there are lots of old players here who remember these days better than I do.

I'm from outside of the economy looking in and this is just how it works. You're right. Adjusting the amount of money people make only doesn't allow them to actually gain anything. It kind of looks good on paper, but doesn't work when put into practice. Which is why I hate politicians that run their campaign on "raising minimum wage". It's a lie. Even with more money it just drives more people into poverty and then even the middle class or moderately rich can't afford anything.

But at least we'd all be on equal footing. I'd be somewhat OK with that idea. The pokemon vs pokemon values would start about the same, regardless of their PD values.

2400+ hours

Isn't that more around 2800?