How to make a PWO Skin?

Zain

Youngster
i have contacted lots of skin makers , but they seem to busy all the time, so can anyone make me a tutorial on how to make skins?
i use Photoshop Cs4, so please try to make it clear as possible, btw i need a vid tutorial, or written will do , but it has to be clear, understandable and step-by-step
please :)
Thanks in advance

Plusle

Ohmygoodnes, ilu for posting this. I'm also looking for a tutorial on how to do this.
I'd lovee to make my own. <3

Maideza

Easiest would be to take the "default" as template to where the positioning is :)

Plusle

I suppose so, yeah. But getting the dimensions right is going to be a real pain.
I'm so scared of messing it up.
xD;

There really should be a tutorial though, would be nice just to have.
o:

Btw, haaiii. <3

Maideza

I would start if I had a mouse xD But a pain with touchpad :)

I think the way it's built up now, it a tad odd - but oh well :)

And haaay ;3

Plusle

Lucky me I had a mouse in my drawer because of my Desktop.
I've gotten so used to the touch-pad from all the drawing I've done.
Why not get one, though? I'd like to think you could find one for at least $15?
Walmart. ~ xD

Hmm, I'm going to give it a shot and see what I can come up with.
8D

How you doin'?
; D

Zain

Youngster
whenever i ask someone , i get the same answer, BUT I WANT A VIDEO TUTORIAL DEMONSTRATING IT!! lol

Plusle

M'hm, I know.
I don't think anyone would have the time, or patience to make a video explaining how to do this.
All I can say is use what they have as a base template like Maid says, its your best option.
Working out nicely so far.
o 3o;

Zain

Youngster
Plusle said:
M'hm, I know.
I don't think anyone would have the time, or patience to make a video explaining how to do this.
All I can say is use what they have as a base template like Maid says, its your best option.
Working out nicely so far.
o 3o;
Yeah , but i want to know how to make a full skin and not just the battle and login screens :(

Attachments

• VIRAJ - Capture e.PNG
    VIRAJ - Capture e.PNG
    21.1 KB · Views: 4

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
The best way to start is to make a copy of the entire "Default" folder in the skins; and rename the copy to whatever you want to call your own skin (you can always change it later by renaming the folder again).

The basic idea of skinning is that you're changing the look of each image in that skin to what YOU want it to look like. So, most of the time, what you need to do is decide on something you want to change, look through your copied folder until you find an image of that part, open it and change it to what you'd want it to look like. It's not always that simple, but for the most part each part of a skin follows that concept.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
Jinji said:
The best way to start is to make a copy of the entire "Default" folder in the skins; and rename the copy to whatever you want to call your own skin (you can always change it later by renaming the folder again).
I'm going to highlight this point.

As someone who has made a lot of skins in the past for PWO, I always tell people to never edit the games default file. This is for a few reasons, firstly if files are missing from a custom skin, the majority of the time I've found the client will use the ones from the deafult folder, so you might end up with a skin that is missing parts. Then theres updates, which would overwrite the default skin you've modified with the default files of the new update.

For my input? Well, the easiest way to start is to use a copy of the default skins as a base and create your skin from that, using a decent graphics software (something like Photoshop or Gimp), paint won't work for this :p Its all about practice to be honest, the more you do, the better they will look. And yes, a skin involves changing more than the loading screens, people doing that and calling it a skin is a bit of a pet peeve of mine :p

G

Would it be possible to take the original template (jpg I think), open it in photoshop, dress it up, and save it?

It'd still be decorated, in the games folder files, and you can change it anytime you want.
Bonus points if you back it up.

Zain

Youngster
Thanks Jinji and Chocobo, thats the answer im looking for, this really helped me and now i know what to do XD
but the prob is i dont know how to edit on PCS4 i mean , if you want to remove the pwo logo (just an example) how would u do that? where would you find all the layers
of the image , so we can edit? anyways thanks in advance XD (dont worry about this question because i can always go on utube and search for how to edit a image and get all of its layers :) )

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
ZainPF said:
Thanks Jinji and Chocobo, thats the answer im looking for, this really helped me and now i know what to do XD
but the prob is i dont know how to edit on PCS4 i mean , if you want to remove the pwo logo (just an example) how would u do that? where would you find all the layers
of the image , so we can edit? anyways thanks in advance XD (dont worry about this question because i can always go on utube and search for how to edit a image and get all of its layers :) )
Well, also the files used on the default skin will be 1 layer, since they are .png or the like, youwould have to use the tools to delete parts of a layer. If your not comfortable with using it, I would watch some tutorials, there's plenty around.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
For log-in screen animations, you have to edit the config file in the skin's folder to state how many frames there are in the animation; then save each frame of the animation as separate images in the skin's "ani" folder. The files must also be named as numbers and create a complete number sequence starting from 1. The client will then load each in order to create the animation.

Future~Sight

Youngster
Website
www.matmartinez.net
All this seems so confusing :eek: what all have i done till today in making a skin? mixed RldSkinPack, BlackWorld and TheLegends' official skin :)) and it does look good! =D