Healing Items outside of Battle

Orean

Website
twitter.com
At this time, it is impossible for healing items to be usable both inside and outside of battle, due to client-side limitations—it has already been tested out in a maintenance period. It is indeed possible for healing items to be usable outside of battle, but this means that they would not be usable as in-battle healing items—Revives, for example.

While there has been no ideal workaround found, to transcend the client-side limitations, it is possible to pick and choose which healing items are scoped out for in-battle or out-of-battle use, to have different ones dedicated for each purpose. In light of that, I would like to ask the following questions:

How would you feel about having different healing items that are used separately for in-battle and out-of-battle use?

Would you generally value healing items more for in-battle or out-of-battle use, and why?

Are there any healing items that you specifically prefer to be designated for in-battle/out-of-battle use, and why? This could also apply to other brackets of healing items, such as: the already-existent Revives; as well as ailment-curing items, such as Full Restores, Full Heals, etc., if they end up implemented before the new client is releasable.

Disclaimer: This thread should be viewed as purely informational at this present time; it does not signal that this suggestion is under any serious consideration by the game-development staff, as this has not been discussed extensively among them at this time. This idea simply crossed my mind when discussing possible compromises for the out-of-battle usability of health restoratives with some players, and I've wanted to take it to the forums to have more massive player opinions on public record.

magevideogames

I personally think it would be nice to have the status cure, and full heal items to be outside of battle, but the minor healing items to be in battle. For instance, full restore out of battle to prevent pokemon center trips, but super potion in battle to help, but not make it cheap like a full restore.

Thor

Is it possible to have 2 items with the same name, that are linked so that when you use one of the in battle versions you lose one of the out of battle ones or vice versa. Or something like that

PhantomsCV

I'd actually prefer having different items for inside and outside of battle.

Thor

You could have berries for inbattle items and potions for outside of battle or something like that

Krowe

Why not just clone all Potions and etc to be X-Potion, X-SuperPotion, etc so that you can buy either to do both?

mad30

Youngster
Krowe said:
Why not just clone all Potions and etc to be X-Potion, X-SuperPotion, etc so that you can buy either to do both?
i think its better game design moving towards a system where potion, super potion ect is used in battle, where as food like items are useable outside of battle

get to doing something like you suggested i think its would be more confusing towards newer players where as somehting like potions vs food items will be better understood

PhantomsCV

BoboTheClown said:
You could have berries for inbattle items and potions for outside of battle or something like that

Why not use the Chocolate Bars / Moomoo Milk / other things that are already in game that's not a potion currently used as a potion.

Tecknician

To note: in order for healing items to be used outside of battle they will have to appear in the regular items pocket in the bag. Not in the potions pocket.

Naero

Metagame-wise, it may actually make sense for some healing items, such as food/beverage consumables, to be strictly usable outside of battle. Food, beverages, and so forth - unlike potions - may be ill-equipped to heal one's health instantly in-battle, and thus may only gradually mend away injuries, or at least help to accelerate the restore rate thereof.

I suppose another question to ask is whether or not sorting out-of-battle healing items into the main-item pocket will cause confusion; in the case of Revives, it hasn't (it's a more distinct item), but for other healing items, especially the more PWO-unique consumables, I'm not sure if there will be a fair amount of indication that they're usable as out-of-battle healing items -- the client itself likely wouldn't be able to make it self-indicative anyway.

Nonetheless, I would still personally consider it worthwhile to have some consumables usable outside of battle, even if this is only a duck-tape fix -- who knows how long it may be before the new client is on-board?

PhantomsCV

Empress Teck said:
To note: in order for healing items to be used outside of battle they will have to appear in the regular items pocket in the bag. Not in the potions pocket.

The location of the item in the Bagpack doesn't matter when it comes to the effectiveness of an item.

Tecknician

PhantomsCV said:
Empress Teck said:

The location of the item in the Bagpack doesn't matter when it comes to the effectiveness of an item.
I brought this up, because last time I was exploring the utility of items outside of battles I left these healing items in the normal slot with not effect. Rather than hear questions or speculations about them being used, all I heard was bug reports and complaints about not being in the potion slot.

It can't be said I don't listen to the complaints of the players.

EcoWOLFrb

Youngster
Empress Teck said:
It can't be said I don't listen to the complaints of the players.

Teck does not listen to the complaints of the players named EcoWOLFrb.

Oh no he didn't!!!

dageki

The only downside is more items in the backpack. And since it's the only way currently and for the foreseeable future to have potions outside of battle I say go for it.

In battle, those potions that are designed to be used in battle- potion, super potion, hyper potion, max potion. (we've seen in the anime they are spray on so easy to apply- they don't have to be consumed)

Outside of battle, all the food items that would naturally take time to eat or drink- candycanes, hot choc, berry juice, fresh water, soda pop, lemonade and green tea (not sure if the last one still exists though) should be in the backpack for use out of battle. (yes, I know I repeated myself there)

Once that's sorted we can move on to status effect healers and repels. ;D