Guilds - Time for a change

mad30

Youngster
Guilds in PWO have had a history in effecting how the game is played. Strangely this is due to having very little actual guild features in game. Recently PWO has added more negative side effects with maintaining a guild (guild tax) while adding a few positives (guild trading). These negatives have outweighed the positive and I think it's time to re-evaluate the guild system for what it is, not what we want it to be as that is a long ways away.

First off, lets discuss why pwo should want guilds. Guilds are often a popular way for players to join a community and stick around. Friendships are often joined inside a guild, and goals and challenges are created by the guild for players to achieve. Without guilds more players never find a true connection with the game beyond simply beating it, and quickly leave. Due to pwo being an MMO, socialization should be a high priority with the game and with that the opportunities like being able to join a guild should be a focus. However its hard to have to join a guild if very few or no guilds actually exists.

I am going to be direct, guilds in PWO are nearly extinct, due in part do a decreased in player base. Due in part to no longer worth maintaining a guild. Due in part to the difficulties in starting new guilds. The lower playerbase is something that of a minor issue. The size itself is not the issue its simply that many experienced playeres left and not nearly as many new ones rose up and created their own guilds. I believe this will resolve itself over time as PWO has recently added a few updates and is on a path of continual major updates from my standpoint (although with time between). The major issue with a smaller playerbase is lack of players that CAN create a new guild.

It is hard for many new players to create a new guild for 2 major reasons. PVP win requirement and cost of creating a guild. Cost of creating a guild is currently a percentage of all money on every account that is not banned. This includes accounts that have been inactive for a long time but not deleted. I will be honest, I do not know the current situation of pwo's economy right now, nor do I care to know. However I do know that it requires a lot of effort to raise the sort of money required to make a guild and more importantly time... Should the be looked at to find a better way?

What I absolutely do needs to change is the battle win requirement. I find this requirement absolutely absurd as a person who wants to make a guild may not necessarily like to battle. You are requiring a social aspect of the game to have competitive requirements. I hate battling as I do not spend enough time hunting for strong pokemon and leveling them to become strong enough to battle with. I enjoy pwo due to the social aspect. Does anyone else see why this is wrong?

Here's my suggestion to fix this issue an hopefully provide more players opportunities to create guilds. Remove win requirement, replace with completion of a quest requirement. Something like the dragons den or mt silver quest. Something that shows the players is an adept trainer without forcing them to PVP. Why should there be such strong requirements for creating a guild when the benefit of having one is so low anyways? It's like we are discouraging players from trying to create one when we should be encouraging them, especially when so few guilds are currently active.

Electrofreak

I feel like for a game like PWO, a guild system isn't really the best thing. I feel like factions designed for eventual PVP turf wars would be more relevant. You could fight for factional entrances to special buildings, hangout spots, hunting grounds, aesthetic changes (when supported) and just general rivalry stuff.

Guilds could function for friendships and casual play in this setup, while still giving incentives for actually engaging the larger community at least within your faction. This engagement will help dialogue and understanding within the player culture more.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
I've always said that the guild system needs totally scrapped in its current form, the barrier to entry exludes all but the 1% from creating one and even when they do get the ability to create one it is after hundreds or thousands of hours grinding away for it. This is terrible for a social game as guilds are one of the main driving social aspects that you can have.

I've long wanted a tier system for guilds, where you have a low cost, low featured basic guild that most players can make and invite friends to so that they can play together but with the ability to upgrade features, size, etc of the guild which brings with it a higher cost and upkeep. I think whatever is decided on in any changes they need to give room for both the small, causual guilds and the bigger more prestigious ones to thrive in their own ways.

Goku-

I really like choco's idea of tier guilds. It would make things more interesting for sure and give guild members something to work together on and look forward too.

Electrofreak

Just as a side note, when the playerbase by and large struggles with even creating a guild, charging a monthly fee just to sustain a guild that someone took the effort to grow is rather demotivating. You shouldn't be penalized for recruitment.

GawertyXL

The guild system in general needs to be scrapped, and needs to be re-evaluated. PVP and Guilds shouldn't be mixed together but rather should co-exist as two separate entitys. With that said, making PVP a part of guilds /after/ they are created isn't a bad idea. Making it a requirement to make a guild though? That's just not a suitable idea for the amount of players PWO maintains on the daily.

Lovedew~~

I use to play a game purely built around the guild system, (League of Angels) and let me say, it really adds a dynamic atmosphere to the game if done correctly. I really don't know how we could incorporate a full fledged guild system into this game. I mean giving special rewards and such to each member of a guild for special events and challenges really seems like it could attract a ton of players in my opinion. The costs are insanely high to start a guild, and the whole system needs modified from the ground up, but I realize that we don't have many developers to take care of it anytime soon. However, I would love to see this concept worked on because guilds really could be a highlight of this MMO.

Grivin

Youngster
Chocobo7 said:
I've always said that the guild system needs totally scrapped in its current form, the barrier to entry exludes all but the 1% from creating one and even when they do get the ability to create one it is after hundreds or thousands of hours grinding away for it. This is terrible for a social game as guilds are one of the main driving social aspects that you can have.

I've long wanted a tier system for guilds, where you have a low cost, low featured basic guild that most players can make and invite friends to so that they can play together but with the ability to upgrade features, size, etc of the guild which brings with it a higher cost and upkeep. I think whatever is decided on in any changes they need to give room for both the small, casual guilds and the bigger more prestigious ones to thrive in their own ways.

+1 to this wonderful suggestion from chocobo7

FaithfulRobot

I do agree the PvP requirements could be removed in the requirements to create a guild, however, I think the cost should stay. Without the cost, there might end up being too many guilds created by players not willing to invest long-term in them, or simply new players creating guilds solely for the tag without intention of adding other players to it.

Another issue concerning guilds is finding a way to make them attractive to players, and be an active aspect of the game. The problem is not every player's goal is the same, so perhaps having guilds specify their goal (i.e.: battling, hunting/collecting) would be an option. PvP guilds could compete over wins while collectors/hunters could compete over having the most valuable and exclusive pokes in their guilds.

GawertyXL

FaithfulRobot said:
I do agree the PvP requirements could be removed in the requirements to create a guild, however, I think the cost should stay. Without the cost, there might end up being too many guilds created by players not willing to invest long-term in them, or simply new players creating guilds solely for the tag without intention of adding other players to it.

Another issue concerning guilds is finding a way to make them attractive to players, and be an active aspect of the game. The problem is not every player's goal is the same, so perhaps having guilds specify their goal (i.e.: battling, hunting/collecting) would be an option. PvP guilds could compete over wins while collectors/hunters could compete over having the most valuable and exclusive pokes in their guilds.

You honestly think that high of a price is acceptable? In what world does the average person seriously have time to dedicate to amassing that kind of money in a game like this? Your only odds of getting that kind of money is if you get lucky. No joke. If you get lucky and find something that people want, you can get the money. If you don't? Ha. Good luck.

I think a set price of owning 100m over the accounts linked to one email is an acceptable compromise. I know some people don't use one account for everything so this would be a great compromise if you ask me.

mad30

Youngster
FaithfulRobot said:
or simply new players creating guilds solely for the tag without intention of adding other players to it.
I do this now... so suck it!

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
FaithfulRobot said:
Without the cost, there might end up being too many guilds created by players not willing to invest long-term in them, or simply new players creating guilds solely for the tag without intention of adding other players to it.
What about this would be problematic?

FaithfulRobot said:
Another issue concerning guilds is finding a way to make them attractive to players, and be an active aspect of the game.
Very true, definitely a much needed part of PWO but it doesn't mean guilds can't be worked on before a plan is put in place. The way guilds are currently gated are damaging to the game so you can work on that before fleshing out an idea to make them more exciting.

BoiledEggs

There won't be a change. Guilds will be guilds and staff system will hardly change. Everything that happened in PWO past years and recently, good or bad came from staff being too close with a guild. You know that well.

DomT.

Youngster
Learn From Clash of Clans,There is a Huge Difference Between their Guild System and Pwo's guild System.Guild Alias and Guild Rivalry is a much needed stuff to be implement.

mad30

Youngster
Alphinez said:
Team Magma FTW
Cool spam bro.

Guilds don't need a radical change right away, there are more important things needed atm than a complex guild system. However minor changes could have a big impact and bring them back to life.

Goku-

I would just like something for guild members to do together, to earn some kind of guild reward would be nice. Even without a reward, just something else to have the option to do would be nice.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
I still think that the very first thing that should be donw to guilds is to make them affordable for a muhc larger amount of players than they currently are, the current cost and requirements are just downright insane.