Full-Screen Tutorial for PWO (Easy - 2 Minutes) *New version works for everybody*

thunderclap

Youngster
Official Full-Screen support (using checkbox in PWO) was disabled some time ago for compatibility reasons and it was buggy.
Thankfully there are some great workarounds.

The first 3 methods are easy - any of them should only take about 2 minutes to set up.

Method 1 (Magpie; Free, Open Source):
https://github.com/Blinue/Magpie Windows 10/11 only.
-BEST multi-monitor fullscreen support, hands down! Flawless, perfect for multitasking etc.

-Best free fullscreen method, not pixellated like IntegerScaler.
-Fullscreen only! There is no window mode (for playing in a larger window) -- for that you need Lossless Scaling (Method 2).
-12 languages!
-Still in active development.
-Requires Windows 10 version 1903 or higher (see troubleshooting section below for instructions how to check/update).
-Requires DirectX 11 or newer.

-To download/set up:
1. Visit Magpie website, click Download to go to the page pictured below, then download the latest .zip. Ignore the Chinese - it's multi-language.
9.png
Get the latest version (not necessarily v0.10.1)."

2. Extract the zip and run Magpie.exe.
2.png
3.png
4.png

3. Make sure PWO is running. In Magpie, click 'New profile'. In the 'select a window' list, select "Pokemon World Online BETA v1.98.3.3a" and press Create.
5.png

4. Change the scaling mode in your PWO profile to FSR.
6.png

5. Press WinKey+Shift+A to trigger Full Screen on/off, or set "auto scale when in foreground" ON (recommended for multi-monitor playing). The hotkey is configurable.

Notes:
  • You can experiment with other scaling modes for sharper text or better performance if FSR isn't smooth. Anime4k actually looks the best but you need a bit more computing power.
If using Windows 10, it must be up to date, running at least the 1903 update. If you don't have it, you will see the following error when opening Magpie: error.png
To check what version you have, hold the Winkey+R button to show the Run dialog, type "winver" in the box and press Ok. You should see the following (the version in the screenshot is too old).
winver.png
To update Windows 10, click the gear icon (Settings) in the Start menu, go to 'Update and Security', then 'Check for Updates'.

Note: the Windows Update process can take hours, depending on your computer's speed, including multiple reboots. Keep going back to Windows Update to see if there are more updates after it reboots, until there are no more you can install. You don't need to upgrade to Windows 11, if it gives you that option. Confirm after updates by running "winver" to make sure you're up to date.

If you still can't run Magpie after Windows updates (I tested and you should not have to do any of this):
  • update the dotnet and MSVC runtime libraries. (Google it)
  • set PWO's compatibility setting "High DPI scaling override" to "Application" if you had changed its DPI settings.

Using TeamRocketNEW skin skin.jpg

• The only easy method that allows Resizable Windowed-Mode support (vs. Magpie which is for FullScreen only) for larger windows. This is done via settings (eg. 150%); you still can't drag the corner of the window to resize. For corner-dragging you would need to use Method 4.
  • Very easy (downloads/installs automatically with Steam).
  • Multi-Monitor support is good but has a minor annoying flaw --- the mouse cursor changes location when clicking between screens. Not fixed yet as of version 2.2.6 (March 2023).
  • Better frames-per-second performance on older computers than Magpie. LS1 in Performance Mode gives the best image quality / performance ratio of any of the 4 methods, on old slow computers.
  • Still in active development. Developer is responsive and accessible on Discord or Steam Forums and tries to help everybody.
  • Requires Windows 10 version 1903 or higher (see Magpie troubleshooting section above for instructions how to check/update).

Note: After installing, you can run it directly from the .exe file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Lossless Scaling, so you don't have to use Steam, if you find Steam annoying/intrusive/slow.

-Works great but only recommended if you have Windows 7. If you have Windows 10/11, Magpie or Lossless Scaling are better options.
  • IntegerScaler doesn't do any smoothing on graphics so they will look pixellated unless your screen resolution is an exact multiple of the PWO window. Looks good if you run 1920x1200.
  • IntegerScaler behaves OK with multiple monitors (in the sense that it doesn't mess anything up) but you can't multitask whatsoever. Your other screens are unusable while IntegerScaler is in use. Its saving grace is that it doesn't move your desktop icons around - everything returns instantly back to normal when you toggle scaling off.
  • Very lightweight and portable, great performance. Responsive and snappy.
-After it's set up, all you have to do is run IntegerScaler and press Alt-F11 to toggle full-screen on and off in PWO.

IntegerScaler setup instructions moved to other thread. Click here.

• Allows Resizable Windowed Mode (the only method where you can drag the corner of the window to resize).
  • No anti-aliasing (text will be pixellated unless screen size is an exact multiple of PWO's resolution).
  • Still the only method that allows SMALLER windows (as of March 2023).
  • Fairly resource heavy (requires a decent PC).
Detailed setup instructions (Not recommended).

Last edited:

Klay

Youngster
The 1920x1080 issue also is a thing with Win10, you'll get a black Schengen border "fullscreen" too

thunderclap

Youngster
The 1920x1080 issue also is a thing with Win10, you'll get a black Schengen border "fullscreen" too
This has been resolved with the new version of IntegerScaler - no issues with 1920x1080 anymore.

Last edited:

shodan21

Youngster
I also suggested panning/scrolling to the author.

At that point you might as well use the built-in Windows magnifier - although that magnifies the entire desktop rather than the individual application.

thunderclap

Youngster
At that point you might as well use the built-in Windows magnifier - although that magnifies the entire desktop rather than the individual application.
Not really, the Windows Magnifier could be decent if it was more customizable, but it's a barely usable PITA. With scrollbars on 1920x1080, you could just hide a bit of the top and bottom's most useless 120px in PWO, lock it in place, and not even notice anything missing.

thunderclap

Youngster
The IntegerScaler program has been updated to allow fractional magnification ratios. So now everybody will be able to play PWO in full screen. And it's still in active development.

I suggested improving the multi-screen support to the author and he says it's on his radar, maybe for version 3.0.

Last edited:

thunderclap

Youngster
IntegerScaler has been updated to version 2.17, adding the "-f" option, so now you don't need any math to set it up :)

MT4k

Website
tanalin.com
Greetings from the IntegerScaler author. An alternative, shorter version of the tutorial:
  1. Run IntegerScaler.
  2. Run the game in windowed mode.
  3. Press Alt+F11 (F11 while holding down Alt) when game window is active/focused.
Optionally use command-line options:
  • -cc to limit cursor-movement area to the game-rendering area;
  • -f to enable non-integer (fractional) scaling if you prefer fuller screen-space usage over image quality (not recommended).
Command line can be specified in the “Target” field on the “Shortcut” tab in properties of the shortcut (*.lnk) to the executable file (*.exe) of IntegerScaler. For example, with both options specified, the IntegerScaler’s command line would look like this:
Code:
C:\IntegerScaler\IntegerScaler_64bit.exe -cc -f

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
@
MT4k

Yes, welcome and thanks. I was certainly surprised and impressed that you came all the way over to our community to share information.

MT4k

Website
tanalin.com
Yeah, registering here was a sort of journey:
  • no obvious way to register, only to log in or to recover an [existing] account;
  • two-letter nicknames are disallowed, 4 letters are the minimum;
  • uppercase K (like in my Reddit nick) resulted in an error like “too many uppercase letters”;
  • underscore is disallowed in passwords, and a special character is required that makes it impossible to easily select the entire password by double click and forces to select manually as an arbitrary-bound text fragment when copying from a text editor.
But nothing critical. :)

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I can explain a little bit:
no obvious way to register, only to log in or to recover an [existing] account;
When you download and install PWO, there is a "Register" button on the login screen, which takes you directly to the online registration form. This way people can download the game first and have it ready to play as soon as they make their account (PWO is a client-based game). This being said, the Register link IS on the Playerdex front page, if you scroll down; as well as on the top-right of each page on wider screens. I believe it also appears on the Forum front page when not logged in.

two-letter nicknames are disallowed, 4 letters are the minimum;
Yes, PWO enforces a four-character minimum on usernames to prevent conflicts between the various PWO services. While the game theoretically supports usernames of any length, we have had issues in the past with certain Forum software not properly supporting shorter names. I myself used to have a two character nickname myself, "JJ"; changing to "Jinji" was a decision partially forced by these technical limitations. This requirement also applies to searches, as there's more variety in a four-or-more character string than in 3 or less; meaning a search is more likely to give a handful of results rather than thousands - which is both handier for the user and less taxing on the server overall.

uppercase K (like in my Reddit nick) resulted in an error like “too many uppercase letters”;
Huh... that's a new one on me.

underscore is disallowed in passwords, and a special character is required that makes it impossible to easily select the entire password by double click and forces to select manually as an arbitrary-bound text fragment when copying from a text editor.
Heh, yeah. Our password requirements are pretty stringent, in order to provide the best security for our players. I can understand why that would be annoying though. I personally use an offline password vault for storing and generating new passwords, which provides one-click buttons for copying and pasting entire strings; but I have also used Notepad to quickly jot down passwords in the past, and am very familiar with the frustration ^^

MT4k

Website
tanalin.com
Thanks, things are more clear now that I know that the same account is apparently shared between the forum and the game itself. Still, the forum page does not have an easily discoverable “Register” link, and only has the “Log in” one, and the “Log in” form only tells about an ability to recover an existing account, and this might be confusing for those like me who didn’t play the game, but needed to register specifically at the forum. The current action chain is:
  1. How to register at the forum? No straightforward way.
  2. Let’s see whether the log-in page provides a way. No, log-in only.
  3. But the log-in page says account can be recovered with something called Playerdex. How could I recover if I did not register yet? What is Playerdex in the first place?
  4. Ok, let’s look at the recover page. Yes! — “Register here” link at the bottom-right. :)

Isguros

Youngster
Next to the 'log in' button on the forum, there's a button named 'Join Pokémon World Online' which directs you straight to the register page on the Playerdex.

MT4k

Website
tanalin.com
The next (to the right) button is “Search” for me.

login-search.png

Also, as I said, it’s not obvious for someone who wants to register at the forum, that account is the same for both the game and the forum, so “Join Pokémon World Online” looks irrelevant at first glance in terms of registering specifically at the forum.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Your feedback has given me a few thoughts; and I hope the other Staff don't mind me taking the initiative without any discussion, but I've added to the Forum a "Register" link which appears at the top of the Forum Index only to visitors who are not logged in. Mousing over this link will show a bubble explaining that PWO uses the same account details for all the services. I hope this helps alleviate confusion for people like you in the future ^^

MT4k

Website
tanalin.com
Nice. For more clarity, it would probably make sense to add “and forums” to the end of “Register to Pokémon World Online”, to make it clear that it’s for both PWO and forums, with no need to rely on the tooltip.

Also, this link is invisible when accessing an individual forum or a post. A short “Register” link between the “Log in” and the “Search” links at the top would probably be useful. The (unclearly related to the forums) “Join Pokémon World Online” link in the left part of the menu would get unneeded then.

Up to you anyway of course.