Forum Suggestions

Orean

Website
twitter.com
I'm posting this topic in the meantime to give some berth to collecting forums suggestions, apart from the game-related suggestions that may come to mind faster.

With the recent organizational/structural changes made to the forums (such as the addition of this section, namely), we would like to encourage more feedback/suggestions for the current forums, to see where else it can be improved, including: what sections would you like to be added, removed or changed; how would you like the layout to be rearranged; what functionality-related changes would you like to see the forums; and any other suggestion, suggestional types that I can't put into explicable words right now, that you believe would promote a better forums atmosphere/environment.

Forum mods/plugins: While it is possible to make modular changes with mods/plug-ins to the forums (example: the Latest Topics box, which displays the 10-newest topics created on the board index), we are only limited to adding in what mods/plug-ins are available.

It's encouraged to be imaginative in your suggestions, but it's also possible to ascertain—before a suggestions is made—what our forums board (phpBB) has the capacity to do. If you remember a likeable feature, from another phpBB forums you used, which does not exist here, then you know it is possible here. Otherwise, if you're hunting for other possible ideas to make, I would advise to browse phpBB's own website to see what user-created modifications are available.

LordBelemuel

I think a reorganization of the individual forums in the creative zone area.

- Cleaning it out by making an archive sub-forum for each forum.
- Moving some topics that belong in the specific sub-forum.
- Having a moderator for the Forums just like the artists forum.

ps- This is my thought and opinion on how the creativity zone should look.

Also, I think the Pokemon World Online Zone is a bit crowded in terms of the amount of forums in it.
I think the Community Watch and Token Issues forums should have their own zone ex. Report Zone (cant think of a better name atm) Just throwing out ideas.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Thank you for your feedback. Just to make a couple of snip-notes:

LordofDarkness said:
- Cleaning it out by making an archive sub-forum for each forum.

It sounds like, from what I've interpreted, that you're suggesting that older topics should be relocated to an archivable subsection of the forums; I would have to ask why you would like this to be done. My only suppositive guess is that it becomes a more cluttered, less easily browsable section as more are added, making it harder to dig up cold topics without hopping on the search engine of the forums.

All GMs/Administrators have global jurisdiction over every forums section, thus they have moderational privileges over those sections as well, if needed—they just may not browse the sections as focally as others (such as Community Watch), however. LunaticJames, the artist-section moderator that you alluded to, was given moderational powers for the section presumably due to being the unofficially-appointed artist-lead, as well as having watchful activity over the section.

Moreover, I presume the point of this suggestion is simply to add more attentive moderation eyes to the sections, for the section-organizational moderation you mentioned?

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
LordofDarkness said:
[glow=red]I liked this idea. Because as it was said, GMs don't read all the sections up because they are too busy investigating and punishing those who break rules, and I think ADMs are more busy to waste time reading each topic. CGs are forum moderatos too however they have limitations. So I think forums would be more organized and Staffs would be more dynamic to exercise their functions with specific moderators for each section.[/glow]

Cobra

Instead of suggesting new forum or sub-forum I will be suggesting several other things which are more security based.

1. Disabling private messages for new users having less then XX posts.

-It can be done by adding another group, in this case a new group for members with less then say 10 posts. This can be done on this very PhpBB forums using AG-MOD tools. This gives administrators options to place users in groups based on post count, membership days, and warning points. Auto Groups MOD can be used to facilitate automatic adding of users to a higher group after they reach a certain amount of posts. AG-MOD tool link: https://www.mediafire.com/?ai2ng4a6wnubhwr

2. Disable links for new users before they met certain criteria.

- An admin would be able to set the required number of posts, or number of days a new member must have, to post links or domain references. Seeing guests can't do so it will require no touching into. Why do we allow guests to see links in a first place? There's also code( "|| ($user->data['is_bto'] ")to prevent them being cached. Tool can be found here: https://www.mediafire.com/?ai2ng4a6wnubhwr

3. Time limit between the posts.

-ACP/General/Post settings/Posting : Flood interval
We already have delay between each post, not quite sure what is the current number. However, we can alter those for a previously made group (check above) and make it something super huge to prevent flooding. It can also help with double posts, usually comes with a bad connection.
More info about those can be found here: bit.ly/1gXCQSn

-Personally, I see no issues with adding those functions. With the time it would make people more socialized pointing them towards another forums, not only trades and such. Looks kinda bad when someone made a first post in trade section it grows into habit. Why would you post your image in faces of PWO as your first post in a first place? Why would you be sending PMs to people having no posts at all? Many bad things might happen and they happened already when new members are given the same forum rights as other people. Phishing links has been posted, keyloggers are being sent via the PM , staffs are being trolled with images and such. With the time people can get used on it. People who are trying to bypass given criteria can be dealt with easier then those ones who can do it instantly. My suggestion is more based on security rather then adding new section. If I jumped a bit out of topic I would like to ask moderator of these forums to split my topic and name it w/e. Thanks.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Cobra said:
Disabling private messages for new users having less then XX posts.
Why? A number of players are sometimes asked to PM staff, I could possibly understand this if the registration system was a free to all. Also you're also going to end up encouraging spam.

Disable links for new users before they met certain criteria.
Once again, why are we suggesting links be disabled? You're encouraging spam once again and you may have forgotten, the forums host download links for the client. Some people like to download before registering.

Time limit between the posts.
PHPBB warns if there is an unread post, this can help to prevent double posts. Flooding is not a major issue. There's no need to punish a user too harshly as you seem to suggest.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Cobra said:
It can also help with double posts, usually comes with a bad connection.

By double posts, are you referring to successive posts, as in two-plus consecutive posts, made by the same user? Going off that supposition, it's also notable to mention that there is a phpBB plug-in to auto-merge these posts. Auto-merging a post, submitted by a user who made the preceding post, would treat the second post as an edit to their predecessive post; the "edit" would not bump the topic at all, which I assume is preferably preventable if flooding is a concern?