features

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire_Green

I want to have more features help make in-
game promotions. will help the new trainer

Merse

Youngster
I think you should go a bit more into the details. And when I say "a bit", I mean a lot.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
By promotions do you mean how quickly your pokemon are gaining levels?

Orean

Website
twitter.com
If I'm interpreting this correctly, you are suggesting more quests in the game to help newer players. Assuming that is correct, how do you suggest these quests would help the newer players, more specifically? In what way can they be helpful?

wolftamer

Hmm... From what I can understand, it appears he's referring to actual help in quests from NPCs. Such as doing the Dragon's Den quest and you forget the next step, talk to an NPC in Blackthorn, as an example, to see every step you need. It seems like a good idea for certain quests in my opinion.

Fire_Green

wolftamer said:
Hmm... From what I can understand, it appears he's referring to actual help in quests from NPCs. Such as doing the Dragon's Den quest and you forget the next step, talk to an NPC in Blackthorn, as an example, to see every step you need. It seems like a good idea for certain quests in my opinion.
Thank you!

nemo55

Every quest is thoroughly explained in wiki. If you simply Google it.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Although I have more well-scoped understanding on the idea now, just to ask for a little more clarity on the suggestion: are you suggesting a quest-logging system, which would track your progress and designate your next step in the quest, or an informational walkthrough that outlines all of the steps?

If referring to the latter-mentioned guide (a textual guide on it), then—as nemo mentioned—those do exist on the PWO wiki, under the quests category.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
It also might help to find out which quest you are having trouble negotiating? Some quests are easier to understand than to accomplish- like the butterfree quest in Viridian Forest. The old lady asks for the butterfree data in your pokedex- so you have to catch or evolve the butterfree to get that data- simple. But for new players not so simple to do in many cases. Further on you have the Mt Moon quest where you have to find three children and give escape ropes to. Simple instructions but the children can be hard to find if you don't know your way around Mt Moon that well.

In both cases the instructions I think are clear enough, and maybe having other NPCs to further explain them or point you in the right direction would be overkill? Going further into the game, the Cerulean Cave quest has clear instructions too I believe, if you pay attention- and in the more complex quests paying close attention to the NPC instructions can be crucial in working out the next stage of the quest. Walkthroughs such as we have on the PWO wiki are there if needed but the quest should be doable without having to refer to them if you don't wish to.

So could you let us know which quest or quests you have been having trouble with, and how you think extra NPCs could help?

Fire_Green

My friend, he did not know about the DD quest, kimono house and bell tower quest ... So he can not do and do not know anything about the quest.
"More NPC can help" That is not my opinion. I'd suggest "direct help by reminding system"

Julio~

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
[glow=red]Maybe that's a good point. But in my point of view everything we need to know is placed on the forums and Wiki. A large problem we have is the lack of players on those resources.[/glow]

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Fire_Green said:
My friend, he did not know about the DD quest, kimono house and bell tower quest ... So he can not do and do not know anything about the quest.
"More NPC can help" That is not my opinion. I'd suggest "direct help by reminding system"

It sounds like the problem is that these quests happened to be unacknowledged to players, unless there is semblance of requirement for a quest (such as one that is compulsory for accessing an area). For the Dragon's Den quest particularly, if the rewards are coveted to a user (access to the Dragon's Den), then the quest should be naturally stumbled upon via attempted access to the Dragon's Den—an NPC guard in front of the Den should hint at the existence of a quest. For others, such as the Ecruteak City quests that you mentioned, they may be more along an optional avenue, thus not as easily stumbled upon for quest goers that may covet the rewards (even if they are not indispensable rewards).

As mentioned, resources such as the wiki give an outline on all available quests, as well as summarizing the starting points, but being able to find these in-game, without any off-game resources, should be doable—whether they are easily findable in game is a point of discussion for this thread, I suppose.

For the "reminding system", which sounds like an outlined list of quests, as well as a progress-logging and guidance system, a new client would be required for it to appear on the user interface for it to be fully fleshed out. Otherwise, other suggestions for directive hints at these quests (such as NPCs hinting at them) are welcome as well, but it should be expected that some quests should be found by a more exploratory nature (as they are in various MMOs); interacting with the world, speaking to all NPCs and listening to their dialogue is how content, including quests, are naturally stumbled upon.

Fire_Green

but some people do not know that the event is happening. They are new trainer, they do not know anything about the Wiki.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Fire_Green said:
but some people do not know that the event is happening. They are new trainer, they do not know anything about the Wiki.

Events such as the Halloween Event we had recently are Announced on the Forums. The Announcement Forum, PWO_ Twitter and PWO wiki are important parts of the game. The client simply cannot fit all the information in it, and wouldn't be able to even if we could currently update it, which we can't. So if you want the full experience of PWO it is worth using all the available resources- that's what they are there for.

In future with a new client we will probably have some kind of Quest Log and Announcements on the Login page- which you may be able to tell were planned for this version of the client but never followed up on. For now though those things aren't possible, so maybe well placed NPCs are the best we can do ingame right now. How to get players to take notice of them is another question I guess.

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
To add to what Fonty said, the main website always shows the most recent updates and has links to all of these places and it is fairly easy to check the site for something new.

Fire_Green

Chocobo7 said:
To add to what Fonty said, the main website always shows the most recent updates and has links to all of these places and it is fairly easy to check the site for something new.
but no detailed guidance when the event starts!

Chocobo7

Youngster
Website
twitter.com
What would you suggest? Having start / end dates, tagging finished events?

Note, the formatting on the announcements really needs to be fixed on the main site, Bluerise! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.