Easy suggestions for quick improvement of PWO.

thunderclap

Youngster
This thread is for ideas that can each be hopefully implemented fairly easily with minimal coding required. In no particular order...

Server

Playerdex

Client/Game
  • Add prompt in PWO Installer "PWO uses Magpie (or IntegerScaler if Windows7) to provide Full-Screen support - do you want to download?" with some info (ie. freeware, portable, lightweight, not officially endorsed, etc). Use batch script to create shortcut for IntegerScaler and add -f -cc to target line?
  • Make chat not scroll up when people talk if they're already scrolled down.
  • Change color of channel tabs in default client skin to increase contrast. And/or change default skin to freshen things up.
  • Fix the backspacing bug in private messages. Implemented!
  • Fix the disappearing text bug in chat/PMs. Implemented!
  • Fix Pokemon & hyperlink alignment in chat (previous update improved it but 2nd/3rd row links are still unclickable/misaligned). Implemented!
  • Change color of Action buttons (Run, Fight, etc) once a click is registered (or improve sensitivity/adjust timegate so we don't have to spam clicks?).
  • Add "View Profile (www)" and "View Mart (www)" Playerdex links to right-click context menu of in-game userlist.
  • Make Old Amber tradeable. Implemented!
  • Allow players to use any NPC/Pokemon sprite as their character sprite WITH BIKE (make masks/hats work with 'bike' too, aka fast walking like Lance) -- possible Halloween event? (credit: @Jaiku ).
  • Simple local .txt log file which records wild pokemon encounters with timestamp (players can figure out how to parse it / make graphs etc).
  • Simple local .txt log file to log game chat.

Future Events
  • More eggs! Eggs as a drop item, eggs to be found on the maps, eggs as purchasable event items, eggs in Prize Corner and/or Battle Tower, eggs in slot machine games, etc. Lots of eggs! Allow a player to earn dozens of eggs in an event if they hunt hard enough. Eggs are amazing because they require time to hatch, forcing players to play, and they have a chance to be shiny, so there will certainly be a hot demand for any unwanted eggs. And by extension, more event vouchers! 2 Swarms with lots of eggs and counting!
  • More frequent but shorter swarms (6hrs?), not announced ahead of time. Players will need to be online to know about them, leading to more players between events. Hit me up for spawn suggestions if you want.

Other
  • Send mass emails to all registered inactive users; include their usernames in the email in case they forgot them.
    • "Click email link to claim free ~500 tokens" (might be hard to do securely, idk).
  • Transfer shiny 31 speed Lapras, Tyranitar, Jolteon and Electivire to my account.
  • Read these suggestions!
Since it's fun and motivating to cross stuff off a list, I crossed the last thing off for you guys (hopefully after you read them) :)

Last edited:

justme1306

Youngster
i agree with afk timer - sometimes you are having a great chat but u need to go bathroom/make a coffee and client close so you cant continue your chat

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Most of these aren't my domain, so I'll only comment on two:
  • I am the current maintainer of PWO's Installer package. While the current script doesn't permit me to add "Optional" components, this is something I have been looking into changing as I had previously considered allowing a selection of high-quality user-made skins to be included with the installation as an optional extra. This having been said, bundling third-party software into the installer is something I'm very hesitant to do owing to the added complexity and file size it would bring as well as various potential legal wrangles; and I would have to research if the IntegerScaler licence terms would even permit it. I would much rather write a message into the installer suggesting the player may like to look into it instead.
  • PWO's AFK limit used to be 10 minutes, before being lowered to five in the days when our servers were regularly full. There is a definite argument to be made that PWO's current situation permits us re-raising it back up to 10 - and I would actually support this myself.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Add memberships as HR drop item, tradable/sellable to players.

Dropped from what pokemon?

Currently, pokemon can only drop 1 item, and so there are several poke that would never drop it. Murkrow, certain Gyarados, Toeds, Magnets, etc.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Add NPC in dept stores that buys aforementioned Membership Drop Items

Currently, Memberships are only on Playerdex, and no in game item is there. This also relates to my previous question. This would have to be addressed in some way.

thunderclap

Youngster
  • I am the current maintainer of PWO's Installer package. While the current script doesn't permit me to add "Optional" components, this is something I have been looking into changing as I had previously considered allowing a selection of high-quality user-made skins to be included with the installation as an optional extra. This having been said, bundling third-party software into the installer is something I'm very hesitant to do owing to the added complexity and file size it would bring as well as various potential legal wrangles; and I would have to research if the IntegerScaler licence terms would even permit it. I would much rather write a message into the installer suggesting the player may like to look into it instead.
Hey Jinji, thanks for your response.
I wasn't exactly advocating to bundle IntegerScaler per se, just to prompt users if they wish to download it from IntegerScaler's server. I'd guess @MT4k would probably prefer to retain control over the download, and that should bypass license concerns. Hopefully PWO installer could make some aspects of its setup (like editing the target in the shortcut) automated though. Maybe the installer could extract IntegerScaler64-bit.exe to PWO folder, and PWO could be modified to check if .exe is present and load it automatically on startup.

• PWO's AFK limit used to be 10 minutes, before being lowered to five in the days when our servers were regularly full. There is a definite argument to be made that PWO's current situation permits us re-raising it back up to 10 - and I would actually support this myself.aw
No need to overthink it IMO, just change it, and if it has unintended consequences, it should also be easy to change back. I'd say 12-15 minutes might be better but any increase would be good. Glad you are on-board.
Dropped from what pokemon?

Currently, pokemon can only drop 1 item, and so there are several poke that would never drop it. Murkrow, certain Gyarados, Toeds, Magnets, etc.
Every pokemon that doesn't currently drop an item, I guess. Or it could be every T2+ poke or something if each spawn has to be manually configured individually.

Last edited:

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Add memberships in Prize Corner.

I see my idea made it in here. GG. As was talked about on the other thread, this would give players like me something to spend Vouchers on. How many vouchers for each? Well, given that there's 1 voucher a month, I would say no more than 2 vouchers. And others argue that if they can be bought with vouchers, then players would donate less. lol Well, this game seems to be doing fine, and I doubt it would have that much impact. But, if this did need to be addressed, then voucher cost could be more than 1.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Every pokemon that doesn't currently drop an item, I guess. Or it could be every T3+ poke or something if each spawn has to be manually configured individually.

How about adding Missingno to hold the Membership? lmao

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Make chat not scroll up when people talk if they're already scrolled down.

this, tbh

I keep trying to read stuff half way down the conversation from time to time, and I have to forcibly hold the chat in place with my cursor and mouse.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Simple local .txt log file to log game chat.

sometimes you are having a great chat but u need to go bathroom/make a coffee and client close so you cant continue your chat

This can be used to start up conversations where we left off when turning the client back on. We would be in the middle of the conversation still, instead of starting it again. Not entirely thought out on my part, but a nice leaping off point.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
PWO's AFK limit used to be 10 minutes, before being lowered to five in the days when our servers were regularly full. There is a definite argument to be made that PWO's current situation permits us re-raising it back up to 10 - and I would actually support this myself.

Hear hear.

justme1306

Youngster
i like the idea of pokemons dropping stuff but i dont think ms should be one of those - ms mostly pay server so i wouldnt do that - but i would like to see a kind of coins or pokemon tokens that you can use to buy pokemon u cant get anywhere else or items/tms - anything that make hunting more fun im in :p

thunderclap

Youngster
i like the idea of pokemons dropping stuff but i dont think ms should be one of those - ms mostly pay server so i wouldnt do that - but i would like to see a kind of coins or pokemon tokens that you can use to buy pokemon u cant get anywhere else or items/tms - anything that make hunting more fun im in :p

Isguros

Youngster
Server
  • Extend in-game AFK logout timer (more players online -> snowball effect).
I don't really care either way about this suggestion: It's true that extending the timer does allow one to go to the bathroom while staying online more easily, and at this point in time it doesn't really negatively effect others that try to get online. But to say that adjusting the timer a bit will accumulate to a massive amount of online activity just because at some times there are one or two more people that are AFK is a bit of a stretch.

• Turn "/pkmnsummary true" on by default.
Though I don't mind acquiring information on the Pokemon you've just caught, I don't think it's such a good idea to enable this command by default: It's rather intrusive and turning it off isn't really something that new players would be able to do without asking a few specific people. To make this feature more accessible to those who just joined I'd suggest either a settings button support, or make it less intrusive (like giving it the form of a system chat line, much like you'd get when you get a new Pokedex entry) so that there's not really a reason to turn it off.

• Membership stuff.
I'm not really a big fan of adding a full-fledged membership obtainable through in-game means. Perhaps because I think the purchasing of memberships is the most consistent income for the server, or maybe because people would not want to have the membership be equally hard to obtain as the one in the Tokenstore.

• Give all new accounts a free 1-week membership (existing account farming rules would apply).
No issues with this one. Thumbs up

Playerdex
  • Increase friend registration referral bonus from 20 tokens to ~1000 for both parties (keeping current restrictions in place).
Thumbs partially up

• Reveal the token store average shiny rate, display prominently on token store.
Thumbs up

• Increase max listing duration on Playerdex Mart (14 days?). Make items and pokemon the same maximum duration for easier Mart Log sorting.
Thumbs partially down

• Make "Renew" button in Mart Log re-list things for longer (14 days?) (or add option to automatically re-list things that don't sell).
Thumbs down

• Enable "Compare All" when viewing other people's pokemon on Playerdex; rearrange stat columns to normal order (Speed on far right, etc).
Indifferent

• To fix sorting: make Mart ID# its own column on Mart Log, and make it the default sorting criteria instead of Date (or make Date sort consistently somehow).
Thumbs up

• Add columns to Mart Log: Status (active/expired/RENEW), Description (pokemon/item name), Price, Seller/buyer name. IP address can be moved to hover text to occupy less room. Having to click each log entry to see crucial info is tedious and slow. Include Global Link fees in monthly cashback system.
Thumbs up

Client
  • Add prompt in PWO Installer "PWO uses IntegerScaler to provide Full-Screen support - do you want to download?" with some info (ie. freeware, portable, lightweight, not sponsored, etc).
Thumbs partially down

• Make chat not scroll up when people talk if they're already scrolled down.
Thumbs up

• Change color of channel tabs in default client skin to increase contrast.
Thumbs up

• Change color of Action buttons (Run, Fight, etc) once a click is registered (or improve sensitivity/adjust timegate so we don't have to spam clicks?).
Thumbs up

• Add "View Profile (www)" and "View Mart (www)" Playerdex links to right-click context menu of in-game userlist.
Thumbs slightly up

• Simple local .txt log file which records wild pokemon encounters with timestamp (players can figure out how to parse it / make graphs etc).
Thumbs down

Thumbs down

Other
  • Send mass emails to all registered inactive users; include their usernames in the email in case they forgot them. "Click email link to claim free ~500 tokens" (might be hard to do securely, idk).
All of the thumbs all the way down

thunderclap

Youngster
  • Extend in-game AFK logout timer (more players online -> snowball effect).
I don't really care either way about this suggestion: It's true that extending the timer does allow one to go to the bathroom while staying online more easily, and at this point in time it doesn't really negatively effect others that try to get online. But to say that adjusting the timer a bit will accumulate to a massive amount of online activity just because at some times there are one or two more people that are AFK is a bit of a stretch.
PWO is in a bad state. The difference even between 3 and 5 players is significant. At this point we should consider removing the AFK timer altogether, making it far longer (hours), or only kicking people when the server cap is reached. It's so much more fun to play when you can SEE people when you walk around. Especially now that follow pokemon sprites are fixed.
  • Turn "/pkmnsummary true" on by default.
Though I don't mind acquiring information on the Pokemon you've just caught, I don't think it's such a good idea to enable this command by default: It's rather intrusive and turning it off isn't really something that new players would be able to do without asking a few specific people. To make this feature more accessible to those who just joined I'd suggest either a settings button support, or make it less intrusive (like giving it the form of a system chat line, much like you'd get when you get a new Pokedex entry) so that there's not really a reason to turn it off.
I do not agree it's intrusive. It's one of the best new features PWO has introduced in years and few people know about it, even relatively involved/smart people. Once you have a full team it's SO nice to have, especially if you're in Safari or somewhere far away. Such improvements should be celebrated and not missed.
  • Membership stuff.
I'm not really a big fan of adding a full-fledged membership obtainable through in-game means. Perhaps because I think the purchasing of memberships is the most consistent income for the server, or maybe because people would not want to have the membership be equally hard to obtain as the one in the Tokenstore.
Many players don't play because they can't afford a MS. Lazy players will still purchase MSes when there are events, so that they don't have to grind for one. They will not be easy to find. People will still donate to get TS pokemon and items. I do not think PWO is hurting financially whatsoever, at all.
  • Increase max listing duration on Playerdex Mart (14 days?). Make items and pokemon the same maximum duration for easier Mart Log sorting.
Thumbs partially down

• Make "Renew" button in Mart Log re-list things for longer (14 days?) (or add option to automatically re-list things that don't sell).
Thumbs down
It makes me sad you disagree with this. The Renew button currently only works for 3 days, and can only be used twice, after which pokemon must be manually relisted. It has such great potential but currently almost useless... it's literally just changing ONE NUMBER -- 2 minutes tops -- for a vast improvement. Selling is currently too much work; fixing this would tip the scales and I'd start selling stuff again.
  • Enable "Compare All" when viewing other people's pokemon on Playerdex; rearrange stat columns to normal order (Speed on far right, etc).
Indifferent
You may be indifferent but others would find this incredibly useful. It's a great suggestion and the code already exists to make it happen.
  • Add prompt in PWO Installer "PWO uses IntegerScaler to provide Full-Screen support - do you want to download?" with some info (ie. freeware, portable, lightweight, not sponsored, etc).
Thumbs partially down
One of PWO's biggest weaknesses and turnoffs for new players is the client. IntegerScaler vastly improves it, for those who want a larger screen. Making the installation as seamless as possible would be a great thing. It would not be difficult to do.
Thumbs down

Thumbs down
Why thumbs down? These are 2 of my very best suggestions ever, and would be so easy to implement. It'd allow players to finally be able to copy/paste chat (out of the log), so you could access http addresses without re-typing. We'd be able to make hunting stats from our logfiles, etc. There's no downside that I can tell, only advantages.
  • Send mass emails to all registered inactive users; include their usernames in the email in case they forgot them. "Click email link to claim free ~500 tokens" (might be hard to do securely, idk).
All of the thumbs all the way down
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I previously discussed the idea of bundling IntegerScaler with the client. After careful consideration, however, this is not something I plan to pursue. There are various reasons for this, but key ones are that it would introduce an additional burden on the PWO Staff to repeatedly test versions of IntegerScaler to ensure compatibility with PWO, thus increasing our testing and build times for new client releases - not to mention, given that new client releases do not tend to happen as often as updates to IntegerScaler, bundling the two would result in there being a period of time between releases where our bundled edition may be several versions behind a manually downloaded and installed copy (which is potentially dangerous if a major bug was discovered meanwhile). Unless I also released regular "new versions" of the PWO Installer, but let's be honest - if PWO itself isn't getting updated, is anyone really going to go to the trouble of constantly downloading new "updates" just to maintain a third-party tool?

A better solution all round would be to redevelop the client to allow scaling natively, thus removing the need for an external tool in the first place. This is an idea for which we are currently looking into the technical feasibility.

Isguros

Youngster
PWO is in a bad state. The difference even between 3 and 5 players is significant. At this point we should consider removing the AFK timer altogether, making it far longer (hours), or only kicking people when the server cap is reached. It's so much more fun to play when you can SEE people when you walk around. Especially now that follow pokemon sprites are fixed.
But they won't be there: they won't talk, they won't walk around, so you won't even see them. And what's the point in extending the timer to multiple hours? You're going to work/school and want to not have to login when you return? The latest arguments for extending the timer was that you would be able to continue your conversation where you left off, but that wouldn't apply to long breaks like these.

It makes me sad you disagree with this. The Renew button currently only works for 3 days, and can only be used twice, after which pokemon must be manually relisted. It has such great potential but currently almost useless... it's literally just changing ONE NUMBER -- 2 minutes tops -- for a vast improvement. Selling is currently too much work; fixing this would tip the scales and I'd start selling stuff again.
I just don't want to make it too easy for people to keep their Pokemon on the Mart forever at the same price with the push of a button, or without even having to push a button. If you want convenience at the expense of other players, there'll need to be concessions: perhaps it can take10% off the price each time you relist it?

One of PWO's biggest weaknesses and turnoffs for new players is the client. IntegerScaler vastly improves it, for those who want a larger screen. Making the installation as seamless as possible would be a great thing. It would not be difficult to do.
I'm just not a fan of bundled installations. I get it; a bunch of people want to play this game in full-screen, but they won't be able to tell that midway during the installation process... plus, it's always kind of sketchy when your program offers to install third party software, just my opinion. I don't know when this ongoing full-screen issue will be addressed, or if it's even still on the list, but how about putting a link on the website's Downloads page? That would solve most of Jinji's issues with the idea, I guess.

Why thumbs down? These are 2 of my very best suggestions ever, and would be so easy to implement. It'd allow players to finally be able to copy/paste chat (out of the log), so you could access http addresses without re-typing. We'd be able to make hunting stats from our logfiles, etc. There's no downside that I can tell, only advantages.
I don't really know a whole lot about automatically keeping logs, so I don't know where to begin either. Is it accessible when you are online, or will it be in use and do you have to log out? When will it erase the data, at the start of the next play session? And will it be used often? Only a few people track their encounters (only during events), mostly to try to justify their complaining. And even the chat logs will most likely not be used very often I imagine, it's just as quick to send a URL over on Discord or a Forum PM than it is on the client, plus you won't have to scroll down endles ... you probably need to drag down the scrollbar with your mouse, or search the document, trying to find the particular URL... and maybe log out first as well (don't know how it works).

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
I'm not against emails per se: A periodical newsletter, perhaps after update/event announcements would be nice/acceptable, I guess. But to mail people with a bribe, that at best make people login, ask a bunch of questions and then log out again... If people decide to no longer want to play this game due to various reasons, then trying to force them back like that doesn't sound reasonable to me.

thunderclap

Youngster
I previously discussed the idea of bundling IntegerScaler with the client. After careful consideration, however, this is not something I plan to pursue. There are various reasons for this, but key ones are that it would introduce an additional burden on the PWO Staff to repeatedly test versions of IntegerScaler to ensure compatibility with PWO, thus increasing our testing and build times for new client releases - not to mention, given that new client releases do not tend to happen as often as updates to IntegerScaler, bundling the two would result in there being a period of time between releases where our bundled edition may be several versions behind a manually downloaded and installed copy (which is potentially dangerous if a major bug was discovered meanwhile). Unless I also released regular "new versions" of the PWO Installer, but let's be honest - if PWO itself isn't getting updated, is anyone really going to go to the trouble of constantly downloading new "updates" just to maintain a third-party tool?

I'm just not a fan of bundled installations. I get it; a bunch of people want to play this game in full-screen, but they won't be able to tell that midway during the installation process... plus, it's always kind of sketchy when your program offers to install third party software, just my opinion. I don't know when this ongoing full-screen issue will be addressed, or if it's even still on the list, but how about putting a link on the website's Downloads page? That would solve most of Jinji's issues with the idea, I guess.

Add prompt in PWO Installer "PWO uses IntegerScaler to provide Full-Screen support - do you want to download?" with some info (ie. freeware, portable, lightweight, not sponsored, etc).
My suggestion was not to actually bundle the software, but to explain what it is and prompt the user if they wish to download it. That way they will always get the newest version, plus the PWO installer doesn't need to be updated for each IntegerScaler release.

PWO's installer would then hopefully extract the 7z file to the PWO folder, create a shortcut on the Desktop, rename it "IntegerScaler (PWO Fullscreen Alt-F11)" and modify the target line (-f -cc). Or something along those lines.

A better solution all round would be to redevelop the client to allow scaling natively, thus removing the need for an external tool in the first place. This is an idea for which we are currently looking into the technical feasibility.
This could be years away if it ever happens. IntegerScaler actually works way better than PWO's native fullscreen ever did, back when it worked.

Isguros said:
I just don't want to make it too easy for people to keep their Pokemon on the Mart forever at the same price with the push of a button, or without even having to push a button. If you want convenience at the expense of other players, there'll need to be concessions: perhaps it can take 10% off the price each time you relist it?
This would be great. People can always remove it from sale if it gets too cheap for them. The Renew button is basically a stop-gap until this could be done, btw.

Isguros said:
But they won't be there: they won't talk, they won't walk around, so you won't even see them. And what's the point in extending the timer to multiple hours? You're going to work/school and want to not have to login when you return? The latest arguments for extending the timer was that you would be able to continue your conversation where you left off, but that wouldn't apply to long breaks like these.
They'll be visible in the user list. That is huge. People won't immediately quit the game after downloading saying "PWO is dead, there's only 3 players online". There are a LOT of people who do exactly that -- we get dozens of new members every single day. For a worldwide franchise loved by uncountable millions of people it's honestly pathetic that we average less than 10.

Is it technically unfeasible to make players visible even if they aren't walking around? Seems like it could just be a simple on/off toggle to save bandwidth.

Last edited:

Cleveland

Youngster
I just don't want to make it too easy for people to keep their Pokemon on the Mart forever at the same price with the push of a button, or without even having to push a button. If you want convenience at the expense of other players, there'll need to be concessions: perhaps it can take10% off the price each time you relist it?
I love this idea