Direct Trading - Methodical Changes to the Union Room?

Orean

Website
twitter.com
As traders and generally experienced players should know, there are only two regionalized trading hubs at this time: the Saffron City and Goldenrod City Union Rooms in Kanto and Johto, respectively; direct, face-to-face trading can only be done there. Despite how this set-up seems to come across as a quirk to many, there does not appear to be a clear-cut on the effectuality—whether or not this current set-up is desirable, or if it can be redesigned more favorably.

I personally feel that it is time to re-examine the current set-up, which has existed changelessly in its form for years, and the first step—to precede any serious consideration for changing it—is to elucidate a more explanatory consensus on its current form.

Would you like the trading hubs to be decentralized from strictly the two regional Union Rooms, and more globalization to allow you to trade in more places? How would you like to go about changing the set-up if so, and which restrictions would you add/remove?

Otherwise, do you find the Union Room set-up ideal in its current form? What benefits do you find in the current Union Room set-ups?

Please discuss and share your opinions.

Goku-

I actually like the way it is now, it kinda saves time when you only have two choices to choose from. It's pretty straight forward- saffron or goldenrod. It would be nice to somehow be able to trade with someone that's in goldenrod if you're in saffron. But meh, I don't really have any issues with the way it is :p

SapphirePhoenix

Although it might be expensive for people to keep buying transport tickets if they are far from the trade city, I find it convenient that there is one main location for everyone to go to per region because the trades in this game need real-time interaction, and what better way to gather everyone in one place where we can find each other easily?

I also feel like it would be much more convenient if there was a way to access the Union Room from each Pokemon Center and trade with everyone regardless of regions. If I was to go about editing the trade format here's a random idea I had for it (if these are actually possible):

1. Have a union room guard in every Pokemon center (or at least in 3 areas per region) that checks for 2 requirements- 1) Your union pin number and 2) at least 1 Escape Rope
2. If the above criteria are met, you will be transported to the union room. This union room is one room that both Kanto and Johto share. Both Kanto and Johto people can freely trade and stuff.
3. You can only leave by using the escape rope, thus returning you to the Pokemon Center you came from.

I do not know if this was a thing for the old trade system I keep reading about; if it was please ignore the above. Since the trade feature isn't unlocked until a few badges into each respective region, I figured people would have or could afford at least 1 escape rope. But I do realize that people are dirt poor in game as well and may not be able to afford constant trips if they are trying to evolve some of their Pokemon. Then I would think that the current free union room can be kept at Saffron, but a global union room like the above be available in other cities/be a secondary option for the person guarding the room in Saffron/Goldenrod.

Shiny-HoOh

I both agree with it mostly but still disagree with it since the Goldenrod union room is almost never used (Which leaves a disadvantage for players that started in Johto), maybe we could have something like the current setup but where players that are in both Goldenrod and Saffron (Or possibly all pokecenters) can meet via the two union rooms (Kinda like trade city from a few years ago, which I don't really even understand why it would even be removed, aside from maybe trying to be more similar to the actual games).

And to add onto the idea of bringing back trade city or something similar maybe also npc's that'll warp you from the current pokecenter you're at (Which maybe could be added to the second floor of the pokecenter and add a badge requirement to go up to the second floor) to trade city for a limited time to do the trade then after so many minutes it'll warp you back to the previous pokecenter you were at.

Arnie

i actually liked the old set up the game used to have (being able to trade anywhere and everywhere) i remember not being able to see vermillion pokecenter's floor *shudders* but the experience was great. obviously now the trade system is safer (which is good) so something like a combination of the 2 would be fantastic.

Goku-

Arnie_Jr said:
i actually liked the old set up the game used to have (being able to trade anywhere and everywhere) i remember not being able to see vermillion pokecenter's floor *shudders* but the experience was great. obviously now the trade system is safer (which is good) so something like a combination of the 2 would be fantastic.

Yeah, I agree. Below was a picture of a slow day, you know, for old times sake.

Attachments

• pwo of old.jpg
    pwo of old.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 847

OneMillionRattatas

ooh yeah let's bring on the old days where we walk into the pc and get assaulted with random trade requests as we run the gauntlet to get to nurse joy ;D

HAHA_NO__by_wolfinmyheart.jpg

Arnie

OneMillionRattatas said:
ooh yeah let's bring on the old days where we walk into the pc and get assaulted with random trade requests as we run the gauntlet to get to nurse joy ;D

back then we didnt have to talk to nurse joy. we could juat walk in and walk straight back out. pokes healed automatically

PhantomsCV

I'd like to see where the Union Rooms actually "Union" the rooms of the trading area. A player would walk into the Union room link and they would teleport back to the PokeCenter they came from. I could see the using of Goldenrod and Saffron as those portals. We know they have the power in PWO to do this because they did that with the Halloween event of 2013.

Nikola

Youngster
I like the setup before this one, trade cities..route 19 and Olivine. I remember visiting safari just because it was near trade city and you could always fish something on the beach. Those trade cities were huge and it was logical for them to be outside rather then in the "room". Replacing union room with trade city was an attempt to invent hot water in my opinion. If it was needed NPCs could be edited in a minute. That energy could be used for another project that will actually have some meaning later on. However, I am looking forward to proper trade system where you actually can trade through Poke PC...where you have cutscene playing rotating certain sprites based on the Pokemon you trade. Would be amazing to link it with ingame mail system, where someone can trade you one Pokemon and you get the notice that someone traded Pokemon X to you.

Trade shouldn't be fast like it's now IMO. I traded 700 Pokemon in 2/3 minutes few days ago...and I had the feeling that I am doing something wrong...pretty much the same feeling when they are throwing the dead into special rusty container from past century. Hundreds of dead corpses fits in the container where you actually can't keep track of them anymore. Then again if your using forklift machine to speed things up...you are still throwing them into the container. Means complete system needs an overhaul.

Kashirosu

I like the idea of being teleported to the union room from either Saffron or Golden Rod but tbh I don't have any problems with the current system...
well, that may change eventually since I didn't trade yet :p

OneMillionRattatas

Arnie_Jr said:
OneMillionRattatas said:

back then we didnt have to talk to nurse joy. we could juat walk in and walk straight back out. pokes healed automatically

ikr, which is why I think it would be so much worse now

Back on topic, I did like the Trade City format, to make sense now it would need to be on the train route between the regions now. Maybe it could be in silver town but still a different stop on the train line- a city within a city which you can enter with your trade pin and 3 or 4+ badges.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
Appraising the feedback here, I would like to ask if players would be okay with this format: the ability to access one regional Union Room (or Trade City/some other reinvented form), while still needing to input the 5-digit PIN to access it, from any Pokemon Center located in that region—that, or some other set-up whereby you can access the same-region trading hub from more portals than what exist now?

Of course, some may have suggestions for another set-up (design-wise), but it was an exemplification of engineering a format that would compromise the following elements that seem to be overall desired:
  • Safe, secure trading—still retaining the PIN requirement, as another security barrier to safeguard (most) assets to one account in the contingency of an account-hijack.
  • The straightforward selection of a commercial hub to trade it; it makes it easier for everyone to congregate in one area to trade with each other, instead of sparsely spreading everyone around.
  • More portals to allow players to converge to one trading hub without having to go distances out of their way to find one Union Room link—Goldenrod and Saffron City's PCs being the only links right now.

Are there any misstatements or omissions in these elements?

Thank you all for your feedback so far, by the way. I'm looking forward to seeing more suggestions and feeback!

Nightmare!

Creobis said:
Appraising the feedback here, I would like to ask if players would be okay with this format: the ability to access one regional Union Room (or Trade City/some other reinvented form), while still needing to input the 5-digit PIN to access it, from any Pokemon Center located in that region—that, or some other set-up whereby you can access the same-region trading hub from more portals than what exist now?

Of course, some may have suggestions for another set-up (design-wise), but it was an exemplification of engineering a format that would compromise the following elements that seem to be overall desired:
  • Safe, secure trading—still retaining the PIN requirement, as another security barrier to safeguard (most) assets to one account in the contingency of an account-hijack.
  • The straightforward selection of a commercial hub to trade it; it makes it easier for everyone to congregate in one area to trade with each other, instead of sparsely spreading everyone around.
  • More portals to allow players to converge to one trading hub without having to go distances out of their way to find one Union Room link—Goldenrod and Saffron City's PCs being the only links right now.

Are there any misstatements or omissions in these elements?

Thank you all for your feedback so far, by the way. I'm looking forward to seeing more suggestions and feeback!
I totally agree with your idea. We can even keep the same system that we have now, such as the need of a PIN and a certain badge. When the player meets the requirement , he/she can go to a Pokemon Center and talk to a pokemon, such as a Kadabra or any other Psych pokemon . Then you appear in this gigantic place, that has a PokeMart, Pokemon Center and the room where people can trade.
P.S The PokeMart and PokeCenter are in the same map meaning that for example if u go left theres Nurse Joy and her stand that heals poke and then in the other side the guys that sell stuff in a normal Pokemart.

Tendou

Creobis said:

Wouldnt that bring back the old issue about starter farming? Considering PWO do have lots of case of people that does not read the rules even when they are installing PWO I don't think that's a good idea.

From the suggestions said soo far, theres no need to code a warping zone where it will detect your last pokemon center from your region, I will give out my suggestion so you guys can understand why.

Firstly Union Room is still good like it is now, the spawns are getting revamped and gym battles are a lot easier now, that makes a "no need to touch" for those Unions Rooms because it will be easier after the spawn revamps from both Regions (it is already easy than before for Kanto).
Second, like i said, allowing every Pokemon center to access UR WILL bring back the Starter Farming abuse and thats an uneeded headache for GMs, so no for "every PC with a Union Room"
Third, the Union Room itself, for my suggestion is it an unique and linked zone where anyone from Goldenrod and Saffron can be able to meet together, however they are being separated in a map by an invisible tile block, 2 warpings zones are located on right and left side leading back to their respectives PCs from those regions, so you will not worry about people abusing the warping zones to avoid buying a ticket because thats what the invisible block will be doing on that map.

Nightmare!

Tendou said:
Creobis said:

Wouldnt that bring back the old issue about starter farming? Considering PWO do have lots of case of people that does not read the rules even when they are installing PWO I don't think that's a good idea.

From the suggestions said soo far, theres no need to code a warping zone where it will detect your last pokemon center from your region, I will give out my suggestion so you guys can understand why.

Firstly Union Room is still good like it is now, the spawns are getting revamped and gym battles are a lot easier now, that makes a "no need to touch" for those Unions Rooms because it will be easier after the spawn revamps from both Regions (it is already easy than before for Kanto).
Second, like i said, allowing every Pokemon center to access UR WILL bring back the Starter Farming abuse and thats an uneeded headache for GMs, so no for "every PC with a Union Room"
Third, the Union Room itself, for my suggestion is it an unique and linked zone where anyone from Goldenrod and Saffron can be able to meet together, however they are being separated in a map by an invisible tile block, 2 warpings zones are located on right and left side leading back to their respectives PCs from those regions, so you will not worry about people abusing the warping zones to avoid buying a ticket because thats what the invisible block will be doing on that map.
As long as theres a requirement such as a certain amount of badges and the PIN obviously I think there shouldn't be no problem.

Orean

Website
twitter.com
nightmarerealm said:
Tendou said:
Creobis said:

As long as theres a requirement such as a certain amount of badges and the PIN obviously I think there shouldn't be no problem.

Correct. I thought I've mentioned the possibility of retaining the security-authentication requirements in that hypothetical scheme—specifically the requirement of inputting the PIN, which will still (hypothetically) require the same amount of badges to register—but I've apparently omitted it. :p

In the topic, I've primarily wanted to address to players potential ways of making the area more conveniently (more access inlets to it), while also balancedly overlapping with the benefits of the current system (the security countermeasures, unification of trading, and so forth). How one's gameplay—in the context of trading, for example—benefits from this can be a factor, but how would it be affected drastically by changing the setup while the badge/PIN requirements remain the same?

Belemuel

The union rooms deserve a revamp.

So Goldenrod and Saffron are the only cities that have a union room right? My theory is too remove them and instead make a trading city for each region, also included the public transportation in these cities like Train, Air Track, Ferry. Having 2 trade cities that is accessible by any means via transportation or simply walking while having to put in you're password to trade would drastically improve trading and make it fun too do; instead of having to stay in a room that is boring and dull to stare at.

This is my 2 cents in this topic as I would love to see a revamp of the union rooms or removal and something added in place. :)

Nightmare!

Belemuel said:
The union rooms deserve a revamp.

So Goldenrod and Saffron are the only cities that have a union room right? My theory is too remove them and instead make a trading city for each region, also included the public transportation in these cities like Train, Air Track, Ferry. Having 2 trade cities that is accessible by any means via transportation or simply walking while having to put in you're password to trade would drastically improve trading and make it fun too do; instead of having to stay in a room that is boring and dull to stare at.

This is my 2 cents in this topic as I would love to see a revamp of the union rooms or removal and something added in place. :)
I like your idea, trading would be better and a lot easier. Like me and other players, there come's a moment when you need to trade something but because of the distance of the union rooms, u decide not to trade. I think a trade city would be a convenient way of trading, and since the Keebacorp Transportations systems are located almost everywhere, it will make trading a lot easier. However, the only issue I have with this is the fact that Fuchsia City, one of the most visited city of the game when it comes to farming S Rare, doesn't have no transportation at all. If you guys add Transportation to that City, me and other player would love this idea.