Competitive battles

Adrivan

It's not the most original idea, but I think it would be interesting to have a more competitive environment for battling players in PWO.
You could add a matchmaking system, which matches players of similar skills together. Players could enter in a queue to find a battle for example from a pokemon center. The matchmaking system will then take care of putting the players together in a battle.

To make things more interesting, we could have player tiers. Something like: Apprentice I, Apprentice II, ...., Apprentice V, Intermediate I-V, Skilled I-V, Advanced I-V, Senior I-V and at the end: Pokemon Master.

Everytime you win or lose one of these competitive battles, it affects your progression through these tiers.
Sure, you could tie this system to the already existing REP, but I think tiers are much better than looking at a number with 10 decimals.

You could go as far as having an extra tier at the end, which is reserved only for the best players on the server, called: Elite 4. If you are inactive for a certain period of time you automatically lose your Elite 4 status.
Players who wish to battle the elite 4 after having earned the 16 badges could therefore challenge real players instead of NPCs.

You could also have VIP areas where only certain tiers are allowed to enter and catch pokemon (like "Skilled or higher only").

I strongly believe if you give this idea some good polishing it could be a great improvement for the game, and no mapping is needed.

What do you think?

The-Joker

nice idea !

REP could be a rank monthly, after ends the month, the first 5 players on the rank would win a prizes/access a private maps...

Klay

Youngster
Highly not against this suggestion.

About the Elite 4 part, it would be cool to follow the same team rule as this E4 idea: Elite 4 will use themed pokemon and may use 1 or 2 unique pokemon of their choice
Would need staff confirmation when there's a new Elite 4 member, but would also be really cool.

What makes me put a big no-no on this so far is the map-access reward.
To understand why, let's consider players are being part of 5 classes: hunters, daycarers, battlers, collectors and businessmen.
All players can be at least defined by one or more of these classes, but not everyone are all these classes at the same time. As an example, saying we all are battlers or businessmen is wrong.
This being said, rewards for a battler-only feature should be and only be battler rewards. Giving access to an entire new private/VIP map (reward for every kind of player) with specific poks [with lower tiers than in actual maps/that can't be found elsewhere] (reward for hunters and collectors) isn't fair for:
-new players;
-pure hunters;
-hunters-daycarers;
-hunters-businessmen;
-hunters-daycarers-businessmen;
-pure collectors;
-collectors-daycarers;
-collectors-businessmen;
-collectors-daycarers-businessmen;
-hunters-collectors;
-hunters-collectors-daycarers;
-hunters-collectors-businessmen;
-hunters-collectors-daycarers-businessmen;
-daycarers who like to see new places;
-daycarers-collectors who like to see new places;
-daycarers-businessmen who like to see new places;
-daycarers-collectors-businessmen who like to see new places;
-collectors who like to see new places;
-collectors-businessmen who like to see new places;
-businessmen who like to see new places.

As another no-no for this suggestion, let's talk about battle farming.
(as a reminder: Rule #10 Do not ask, sell or give away free reputation points. You also can not trade or give away wins from battles.)
What people may be tempted to do is giving free wins for their mates/guildmates with alt accounts to allow them to win high-tier prizes. If they do, only the biggest community, even if bad in pvp, will stay on the top.
Making ranked queue would not solve the issue: they will try to win against any random player, but can disconnect/make dumb moves against their mates to give them wins. And with the current playerbase size of PWO, it would be really easy to challenge who you want.
I don't really have solutions against it, and it shouldn't stop this idea to grow. But if this rule isn't respected by most players, it will likely make this feature removed if it's ingame.

To not stay on a bad opinion, here's another reward idea: at the end of each competitive season, players gain a number of competitive points related to their tier with which they can buy battle items. Those battle items would also be available as event rewards sometimes, or as quest rewards, and those already in Battle Tower would stay there to also be accessible for players who want to start competitive with some decent battle items.

Conclusion: not a bad idea, but really needs some polishing.

Nshims

I also think that the risk of someone cheating is not negligible,
then using NPCs would be a much more viable choice,
but we all know well that winning NPCs is an easy task for many of us,
which could be considered as giving prizes for free
or just by the time spent battling with the NPCs.

If it is absolutely necessary to players become
members of the Elite 4 so a public log system would be a good idea to avoid cheating.
Or a battle system that allows players on the waiting list to watch the ongoing battles.

Every losse of the member of Elite 4 will reduce his Elite 4 reputation
and if is 0 the player with best score eligible to Elite 4 take his place.
Every player win will give points according to the battle performances,
and by becoming a new member of Elite 4 you receive extra points.

A good idea for the collector rank would be something like showing off your best pokemons
to an NPC and he will give a score.
This score will allow the pokémon to enter a list of the best (take place of other pokemon if is better),
the Pokémon can stay in the list until another player shows up better.
on this time player will receive usable in game points by elapsed time + the obtained score.
a given time such as a month or a week may be the limit for a pokemon to remain in the list
if no one show better than the player gets his max points.
Proposed pokémons must have unique IDs (To prevent monopoly and give everyone a chance).

Anyway a rank taking into account all the pokémons already shown can be displayed on Playerdex.

Ranks like this should be a good start:
best pokemon (in genaral)
best couple of pokemons (male/female)
best evolution line
best -9 pokemons (sum of ivs close to 0)
best -9 pokemons (sum of ivs close to 54)
best armonic (ex: 10 10 27 27 16 16 or 24 15 24 15 22 22 or 5 5 5 6 6 6)
best max speed pokemons

The fact that pokemons are S, OT or depending on rarities may be a factor that gives additional points.

Also the daycares rank can be something like
by starting a DC you talk to an NPC that will see the state of the Pokémon
then you tell the NPC the final state the Pokémon should be.
The NPC can calculate the time spent to perform the service and give you a score,
the score may not only depend on the time,
but on the base stats of the Pokémon so the level of difficulty is taken into account.

Ranks like this should be a good start:
best lvl 1 to 100
best lvl <=20 to 100
best lvl <=40 to 100
best lvl <=60 to 100
best lvl <=80 to 100

best lvl 1 to 100 + ivs
best lvl <=20 to 100 + ivs
best lvl <=40 to 100 + ivs
best lvl <=60 to 100 + ivs
best lvl <=80 to 100 + ivs

All points collected by the players can be used for specific purposes
the only ideas that have come into my mind so far are:

1. Access to maps with timing (a system like on safari).
2. Buy SOME items from the battle tower, prize corner, in game mart and departments
by adding some merchants who can exchange these items for specific points
(this add more ways to get some items).
3. Open a new market with new items that can be purchased with these points.