Battle System Updates

Tecknician

Rather than posting on my own personal log, just going to start a new one dedicated to the battle system.

4/7
Last Resort is now 90 power, 95 accuracy.
Solarbeam is now low priority and should hit last. (best that can be done for now)
Echoed Voice now has total power of 90 and hits only once.
Mud Shot now lowers the target's Speed stat by one stage instead of two.

2/10
Pursuit is no longer priority move.

1/27
Implemented Recharge for the following moves:
Hyper Beam
Blast Burn
Hydro Cannon
Frenzy Plant
Giga Impact
Rock Wrecker

There power has been changed to 150, and they will remain at 90 acc. If they miss they will not need to recharge. If the opposing pokemon faints, it will need to recharge, you may switch the pokemon out, use items, or attempt to run after using a recharge move. If you switch the pokemon out after using a recharge move then bring it back in it will not need to recharge. You will still need to select the next move to continue after using a recharge move, but the pokemon will not execute the move.

Shiningamisgirl

Battle System UPdates! Teck, teck I love you, I love this! Yeeeessss! Oh oh, oneeee teensy suggestion. Toss Solarbeam and Last Resort onto that list! -coughs and rolls off- Good job, and know dat we wuv u guys! I so sense this leading to bigger better things. This is so cool to see!

DaSnowman

So i used Giga impact on my tauros and it does not make it recharge just letting you know in case of a bug

Orean

Website
twitter.com
DaSnowman said:
So i used Giga impact on my tauros and it does not make it recharge just letting you know in case of a bug

To be more specific, are you inferring that it didn't work due to the "Recharge failed to have any effect." message in the battle log, in the left-hand side-text? If so, I believe it is a message that's announced automatically because the cooldown time is technically flagged as a secondary effect in the database—similar to status ailments, stat-enhancing moves, etc...—that causes the battle log to automatically announce it.

Regardless, from what I've tested out, the cooldown turn should still go into effect, despite the misleading announcement in the battle log. :)

Otherwise, if it is something else than what I've explained, a screenshot of the battle log, to provide more circumstantial information, would help to look into the bug more.

Tecknician

I thought I fixed that Creobis ;( Will have to look at it again.

Should be fixed on next server restart.

DomT.

Youngster
Shiningamisgirl said:
Battle System UPdates! Teck, teck I love you, I love this! Yeeeessss! Oh oh, oneeee teensy suggestion. Toss Solarbeam and Last Resort onto that list! -coughs and rolls off- Good job, and know dat we wuv u guys! I so sense this leading to bigger better things. This is so cool to see!
Yup Thats too coooooooool,thnx for update teck and yea shining is ryt,use that move also on Last Resort but not on solarbeam

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
Last Resort shouldn't have a cooldown. If it can't be coded to work only when the other three moves have been used in the same battle, maybe it can be blocked from use for the first three turns of a battle?

I.Am

Thx for update. I cant wait move like "Protect" or Poke's ability work in PWO. :)

Fionavara

veru good idea tech, much easier for us non-forum lurkers to follow.
Well done!

Merlino

It's good your are working also to improve battle system! Thanks!
Good job

Saric

Youngster
What about nerfs on two turn moves and Last resort?

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Each small victory is encouraging. Each step one step closer to achieving the goal. I am truly glad to see this game is loved enough to be taken care of.

This small victory is one that I will never know if it works since I don't use those moves, unless someone tries them on me.

I saw "protect" mentioned, and that made me really think about how that move works. Seems all it does is increase evasiveness to 100% for 1 turn, then progressively lose evasion on each turn its used. I made a pokemon to test out that move, as well as test detect, and was horribly disappointed.

The poke I chose was Sableye since it could learn both moves, which I then increased the Power Points (PP) to max. Upon testing, in the official games, it clearly states that if "protect" is used on consecutive turns it loses its effectiveness. So, my plan was simple: Alternate between Protect and Detect. That way I am not using them on consecutive turns and could stall for a long time, hopefully outlasting the enemies PP. It was a brilliant plan, that brilliantly failed. I kept getting hit, though I didn't think I should. I thoroughly enjoyed testing the battle ideas I came up with, even if I was met with many failures, I had my share of victories as well. ^_^

I have also been thinking about abilities, and how I use to play, and realized, my style is dead in this game, since I had stall tactics trying to deplete the enemies PP to 0, making them much less of a threat since all they could do was "Struggle". That won't happen here. :/ So moves like protect and detect seem to be 100% useless moves in this game. They would lead to infinite stalling until the attack finally gets through, or someone DCs. I wonder what is planned for these moves, and some others, as well as some abilities like Pressure. I am opposed to the idea of having PP in an MMO.

Maybe, "Protect" could serve a different purpose? Such as, my poke uses Protect, and it lasts 2 turns, allowing me to safely switch my poke with one that is more effective. Sure, I can see some room for abuse, but most things can be abused in some way or other.

nemo55

Great update Teck, has helped me in a few battles..

Now I hope that Blast Burn, Hydro Cannon, and Frenzy Plant are implemented soon. ;D

Dovee

Youngster
Do any of you read what other people posted. Solar beam and two turn moves have already been brought up.

matileo19

Youngster
Website
imanub.com.nub
I feel heard (wary) . Hah, I'll follow this topic closely ! Amazing job .

EDIT*

This happened some mins ago, look at pilows spd increasing after getting hit by Starmie's Bublebeam:

2njxsa

LinK

Tendou

Any chance to add this feature before the attack? Cause if there is no way i guess we can deal with Solar/Future Sight being able to recharge after it hits.

HOF69

I know it's already been mentioned several times, but I have to emphasize that Solarbeam needs to be fixed ASAP. It is absurd that so many Pokemon are able to take advantage of this broken move and use it to completely suppress the number of viable water Pokemon in battle (pretty much limited to Tentacruel, Gyarados and Starmie right now). It has to be given a pre-charge turn.

I should also note that Echoed Voice needs to be fixed as well. In no version of Pokemon is that move ever able to hit twice in a single turn. Why it was made to be able to do so in PWO baffles me. Averaging its power to 120 (halfway point between its minimum power of 40 and maximum power of 200) is the realistic solution for now. If it hits twice as it is right now (which has a high chance of happening), it has a power of 150.