Are hotkeys/controllers available?

ButterflyWings

Is there a way to use hotkeys for selections in battles? I mean like click on the keyboard to choose Fight and then choose an option from the list? Or is mouse required for this only?

Is an option for controllers available? IE Xbox One controller connected to the PC?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
PWO has rudimentary support for controllers, however, it is very buggy; and I believe it is now disabled by default. You can toggle it by using the commands /joyon and /joyoff. When enabled, PWO will poll your connected USB devices for anything that looks like a game controller. If it finds one, it will load a default configuration to assign various buttons to movement and actions. This configuration doesn't work for all controllers, and can cause issues such as stuck input (always moving in one direction), which is why it's normally disabled. Sadly, PWO does not offer any configuration method for controllers at this time, so we can't offer any support or advice.

There are no hotkeys for in-battle selections.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
My pleasure. With regard to the hotkey question, I actually have a vague recollection of a player some years back writing an AutoHotKey script, which emulated mouse clicks with button presses, in order to allow the keyboard to be used in battle; and which we declared legal on the basis that it was "one button equals one click"; but I don't know if the thread for this even exists any more, as our Forum has undergone many changes over the years. Keyboard controls in battle isn't something we hear requested very often, though it's certainly something we could look into in the future if the demand arises. However, I personally would be worried whether such a feature could be abused to make it easier to create automated bots.

ButterflyWings

Oh I wonder if I'd be able to find it. One of my posts from 2012 with no replies still exists.

If I find it I'll verify that it's the correct one with you guys before use, and verify that it's still okay.

I am a programmer, so constantly switching between pen, mouse, trackpad, keyboard, and it has caused a lot of issues for my wrists. So the less they move around with games, the better. So hot keys help stay in a specific position.

Yikes I do understand the concern with bots. Those are sometimes hard to track down.

For weirdos like me, it would probably be pretty neat to have voice activated buttons too (for battles/menus only obviously-movement would be weird for that). Lol if I get bored I might try making one of those then see if you guys are into/okay it. Would that be a problem?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I'll quote my statement from https://forum.pokemon-world-online....l-remapping-buttons-for-easier-hunting.39076/:
PWO permits the use of external tools for the purposes of improved accessibility, so long as they are not being used to unfairly automate actions within the game itself; and the feature is not currently catered for within PWO natively. This is why IntegerScaler - while not officially endorsed by Staff - is a permitted tool in the absence of a native full-screen or scalable client window.

As specifically relates to AutoHotKey, use with PWO is permitted, but only for the purposes of key or input remapping. The strict definition is as follows: An AutoHotKey script is permitted as an accessibility tool if it is manually triggered, and merely maps a single output to a single command (i.e. one button in place of another; a button press in place of a click; or mapping a joystick to a button press). However, if the script allows a player to use a single button to perform multiple commands, or to perform any number of actions without direct user input, this is considered a macro and is against the rules.
If anything is still unclear, feel free to contact the Staff team with your proposed tool or script, and we'll take a look and tell you what we think.

thunderclap

Youngster
I actually have a vague recollection of a player some years back writing an AutoHotKey script, which emulated mouse clicks with button presses, in order to allow the keyboard to be used in battle;
This was about 2 weeks ago rofl. If you want to use a controller, it'd probably be trivial to set up Xpadder or JoyToKey.

Pansy

Resident Harlequin
Game Moderator
I use a Steam Controller which is great for it's tracking pad! Requires no set up; just the joycon to move and the tracker for your cursor. Also wireless or plug in. I got mine during a Steam sale some years ago for around £4, though I am unsure of what they sell for now or if they're still available. Another amazing programme which allows you to remap any controller (to any other controller), or as mouse and keyboard is 'reWASD'. It is free for the first week, then requires a very small payment of £5 (worth it if you use it a lot).