Allow hyperlinks in Private Messages in PWO client.

thunderclap

Youngster
Title self-explanatory. Allowing some way of exchanging outside hyperlinks would be a huge improvement to the PWO client.  Staff can already create such links, so it should be possible.

I understand staff don't want this ability in the main chat due to abuse/trust issues. Maybe PMs are a suitable compromise? I spent a full 2 hours today trying to walk someone through googling for a website..

Towel

Youngster
The Towel endorses this idea. Hopefully I will not cause political divide in our tightly knit community by taking such a stance on a post from thunderclap.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I'm... actually not against this idea. People often have things they want to show off to a particular player, but don't really want the whole PWO-playing audience to see; and since you can't copy-paste PM text in the client either, it's not at all convenient to share links in the game this way.

Also, in the event a player tries to share malicious links in the game - only allowing hyperlinks via PM limits the exposure a bad link would get; and as players can block other players or close PMs, the onus is put on the player if they choose to follow a PM'd link. Plus it is often far easier to screenshot a PM for evidence in a report, than it is for public chat.

Boora

Youngster
When it comes to pdex/forum/wiki you know they're legit so there's no issue with that, but when you go beyond that it can get shady,
personally i think the potential risk isn't worth the 30 seconds it'll take you to ask them to go on discord and send them what ever it is you want, and if they accept it outside of the game it's on them.
Imagine the game is popping again in the future and someone makes a phishing site and links it in all with the pretence of an event or free stuff, it'll look just like the pwo site and you wont think twice about logging in
Do you know how messy it'll get for the staff to fix something like that.. tracking all the ips/trying to return pokes to their owners, etc etc , and this is just one example.
The other would be 18+ content in all chat.
i think if you want to send an external link you should just take the time to discord it to them or type it out

although i'm not against adding more sites to the current system such as youtube for example.

thunderclap

Youngster
Boora said:
When it comes to pdex/forum/wiki you know they're legit so there's no issue with that, but when you go beyond that it can get shady,
personally i think the potential risk isn't worth the 30 seconds it'll take you to ask them to go on discord and send them what ever it is you want, and if they accept it outside of the game it's on them.
Imagine the game is popping  again in the future and someone makes a phishing site and links it in all with the pretence of an event or free stuff, it'll look just like the pwo site and you wont think twice about logging in
Do you know how messy it'll get for the staff to fix something like that.. tracking all the ips/trying to return pokes to their owners, etc etc ,  and this is just one example.
The other would be 18+ content in all chat.
i think if you want to send an external link you should just take the time to discord it to them or type it out

although i'm not against adding more sites to the current system such as youtube for example.
Ironically the site I was trying to help the person find earlier was actually the PWO Discord. It took 2 full hours. Not everyone speaks English well or is gifted with functional intelligence, so sometimes you just need to be able to link. Granted I didn't know that there's a Chat link for Discord on the main site that I could have linked to speed up the process..

Anyone who spreads bad links will be swiftly banned. We can't live in fear, that is un-Murican.

Boora

Youngster
Don't get me wrong, personally i'm with you, but you have to think about the kids :3 They don't know what links are safe or even what phishing/keylogs are, they just want to play pokemon, and yeah they'll be banned but by than the dmg would've already been done,
There's a reason we don't even have a voice chat on discord,
either way i'l be fine with w/e happens, this is just my opinion

Here's a better idea, why not give certain permissions to a handful of active players and this would be among them ? (CG like? )
This way it'll be their job, well valunteer job to help and post the links.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
One question that hasn't been answered here is: How would the game know when something is a hyperlink?

Isguros

Youngster
Boora said:
Here's a better idea, why not give certain permissions to a handful of active players and this would be among them ? (CG like? )    
This way it'll be their job, well valunteer job to help and post the links.

Let's just pretend that linking your buddy a YouTube video you've been watching isn't the only reason why anyone would want to put hyperlinks in the chat, even then I'm still not sure how posting a link to something other than something on the PWO domain would help (a staff member with helping) someone with PWO questions. Most PWO related issues, like the one that caused this thread, can and should be resolved with information grabbed from this server.

Jinji said:
One question that hasn't been answered here is: How would the game know when something is a hyperlink?

Just a while back, anytime you posted an URL in the chat, your message wouldn't show up. I can't quite remember if it was the 'http(s)://' or the 'www.' that set this off, but I imagine, theoretically, the same could be done the other way around , just like it does for posting URLs on the PWO domains.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
thunderclap said:
Not everyone is gifted with functional intelligence, I didn't know that there's a Chat link for Discord on the main site

:angel:

Mr.Toweliiiiie said:
The Towel endorses this idea. Hopefully I will not cause political divide in our tightly knit community by taking such a stance on a post from thunderclap.

Don't worry towel, your opinion is irrelevant so nobody cares enough about it to be divided   :p