Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
In terms of in-game dialogue and interactions with NPCs and objects, the "scripting" occurs through a custom-built language. This scripting can be done through a choice of methods outside the server; and the scripts are stored in the database. The server on loading a map retrieves the NPCs related to the map, then retrieves their scripts to parse through an interpreter, which then creates their in-game code - so the server is only involved in the final execution. There is no real need for Staff who are involved solely in Scripting (and other content-related functions like Mapping) to have direct server access.

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
To further expand, I think you're thinking of developers as Scripters. Developers (and Administrators) have access to the server code.

Scripters focus on NPCs while developers actually focus on the code that runs the game (including the script that runs NPCs).

Xzuckz said:
And the day thing is wrong, cause if you have days the server would react to the week days like if you loos at 23:55 on sunday you would be able to play at 24:01 on monday couse the server think that it's a new day and since you can't do that the server is having track of time with the scripter have told the sverer that 1 is 24 Hours
Think you're somewhat getting confused here. An cooling period, waiting time or whatever you wish to call it is assigned to an NPC. Once you've enter into a battle, that cooling period is added onto the current time which is then when you're able to next battle.

The system you seem to have thought of would be poor.

Xzuckz

Bluerise said:
To further expand, I think you're thinking of developers as Scripters. Developers (and Administrators) have access to the server code.

Scripters focus on NPCs while developers actually focus on the code that runs the game (including the script that runs NPCs).

Think you're somewhat getting confused here. An cooling period, waiting time or whatever you wish to call it is assigned to an NPC. Once you've enter into a battle, that cooling period is added onto the current time which is then when you're able to next battle.

The system you seem to have thought of would be poor.

The script thing is diffrent on every game that's no big deal but anyways.

And please read what I write before you will answer so we can have a real discustion will you?
You are saying exactly the same thing I was saying that the NPC timer is in hours and not days so what is the problem?
And I was saying that if the server would have a "cooldown" in days then you could battle the next day no mather what time it is, So you NPCS are time coded and not day coded that was what I told you please read all before you answer so I can get a straight answer next time couse Im only trying to help!

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Xzuckz said:
And please read what I write before you will answer so we can have a real discustion will you?
I am reading what you write.

Xuckz said:
You are saying exactly the same thing I was saying that the NPC timer is in hours and not days so what is the problem?
From your previous post I read it as - if you were to do a battle Friday at 11.31pm - you would be in a position to rebattle Saturday at 12.00am, 12.01am etc...

Whereas the game applies the cooling period onto your current time. Battled Friday at 11.36pm? You'll be able to battle Saturday from 11.36pm and so on... I don't believe I stated about there being a problem.

Xuckz said:
And I was saying that if the server would have a "cooldown" in days then you could battle the next day no mather what time it is, So you NPCS are time coded and not day coded that was what I told you please read all before you answer so I can get a straight answer next time couse Im only trying to help!
You seem to not be reading. As I stated, the cooling period is in days for the NPCs. This is then applied to the current time and stored in your NPC battle records.

You can't set NPCs to be rebattle 12 hours later as the cooling period can only be set in number of days.

Tecknician

Your both failing to understand each other, so let me help.

First off, date/time is kept in the format dd/mm/yyyy then hh/mm/ss or something similar. When you go to re-battle an npc the time is recorded and nothing is changed. The date however is the one being changed based off the cool down. So think of it as two separate variables being used. The date and the time. The time is being recorded only, the date is the one being modified. This is why you when you a npc on friday at 11 pm you can't battle it again in 1 hour. It sees that the date is correct, but the time is still too soon.

xrmk

Bluerise said:
You can't set NPCs to be rebattle 12 hours later as the cooling period can only be set in number of days.
I understand what you mean, maybe I'm wrong since the program language is not the same as the one I'm used too.
But somewhere you must have defined so the script knows how long 1 day is, right? Since no matter how many times you tell a dog to stand still 5 minutes it will fail unless you let him know how long 5 minutes are.
That's what xzuckz tries to say.

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
xrmk said:
Bluerise said:
I understand what you mean, maybe I'm wrong since the program language is not the same as the one I'm used too.
But somewhere you must have defined so the script knows how long 1 day is, right? Since no matter how many times you tell a dog to stand still 5 minutes it will fail unless you let him know how long 5 minutes are.
That's what xzuckz tries to say.

It's based on real time, not game time or something subjective, and it's beyond our power to mess with real time. ;)

xrmk

HitmonFonty said:
It's based on real time, not game time or something subjective, and it's beyond our power to mess with real time. ;)
Yes but a script don't know how long 1 day in real time is unless you tell it. And it's not beyond our power to tell a script what too do ;)

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Xrmk, for curiosity reasons - what languages do you know?

Xzuckz

Bluerise said:
Xzuckz said:
I am reading what you write.

I understand what you are saying but what I'm saying is that you will need to have some "scriptline" that would be like this:
1 is the same as 24 hours and 0 is no cooldown but then the line would have to check in the script to know how long 1 is and then you will found a script line telling the server that 1 is 24Hours so why not change that line to 1 is 12hours and then it's done easy as that.

And in 12 hours you would have plenty of time to train your pokemons to battle the gym again cause ther is no one that are playing 24/7 so they would probably only play for lika 8-12 hours or so so the other 12 hours of cooldown the players are at work, school or just sleeping easy as that 12 hours is still a long time so you would not "exp boost" and still a long time to train pokemons.

Please can some developer tell me a real answer about my question Couse I could understand if it would be some problems if some other line is using callback to the 24hours=1day line.

BTW please still have in mind that i'm only trying to help the game out of beta and I'm not calling you guys bad or anything just here to help making the game better and work more to give it that boost it needs to go viral and get out of beta.

Big love!

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
We've never said there are any problems. What i've however said, if such change was to be made - I would rather wait and have a reworked NPC levelling system to go along.

Tecknician

Our scripting language does not deal with gym cool down times.
That is handled by our server which is in c++ and the database.

Xzuckz

Empress Teck said:
Our scripting language does not deal with gym cool down times.
That is handled by our server which is in c++ and the database.

Okay I have scripted in c++ for 5 years now and I know exactly what youre meaning and that's a good point.
But it could be done in c++ to but so what you are saying is that the sever go thrue a callback to your database?

BTW thx for the answer.

Tecknician

Xzuckz said:
But it could be done in c++ to but so what you are saying is that the sever go thrue a callback to your database?

BTW thx for the answer.
The database stores the information, the server processes the logic.

xrmk

Empress Teck said:
The database stores the information, the server processes the logic.
Just out of curiosity, what are you using to store info to the database?

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
Serious question, why would you use a 1 to represent 12 hours? How is that at all meaningful?

Xzuckz

Bluerise said:
Serious question, why would you use a 1 to represent 12 hours? How is that at all meaningful?

Cause you where telling me that the lowest number you could set was 1 and in your info 1 means on or it means that you have already linked 1 to 24 hours so why not change 24 to 12 and there you have why I linkied 1 to 12 and not 24 as you have on right now and if 1 is on and 0 is of then you must have likned 1 to on and is 24 hours so then change that to 12 so no matter how you try to turn this question still
24 or 12 hours will be linked to 1 as it was the lowest numer you could put in the script to get the "cooldown"

Bluerise

Youngster
Administrator
1 represents 1 day, not 24 hours. If you want 1 representing 12 hours, you may as well just set it on an hourly based system over a half day based system.

Status
Not open for further replies.