Event Where the cold reigns

Crysgan

I just have to say that last events was awesome.

Sometimes we want so much in this game, but we forget each member of staff has his real life like us, but they found some time to give us these great events.

Thank you so much for everything!

thunderclap

Youngster
A final moo to end this event.

Below are all the spawns and some other details I wanted to share for fun :D
If you do not want to know, do not open the below spoiler.
3tHh5dc.png

Thank you all for playing and enjoying it and its secrets. We had fun making it, and it was also fun to see how people reacted to parts of it. In the future we shall see how we can make more interesting and unique methods for events and swarms. Speaking of the Future...

The Future:
Think left an update that we are working on Sevii last, but some more info on that. We mentioned it was going to be an incremental release with one Island at a time, but upon working on it, it was deemed unfeasible to both work on and release at the same time. Three islands, 4, 5 and I think 6, have been "Completed" in the sense that we have done the main quest for each of them, but they would still be lacking Flavour NPC's (ones that fill the town), and minor side quests.
Sevii Islands will include the islands as the handhelds, and will include some unique islands just for PWO, cos thats how we roll, yo. First Island to arrive on is 4th Island from memory.
I would love to give a date on when it will be released, but sadly we cannot predict that. A side effect of back to back events is we haven't really had time to properly work on Sevii since September, so there will not be a Chinese New Year event, or even an Easter event for now. Likely we will still do swarms, but our team isn't large enough to work on both content and events at the same time.

As we get back in gear from the events and work more on Sevii, we will share more updates on progress. We still aim to be transparent with what we are working on going forwards as one of our commitments to transparency.
Thanks again for this info. Any updated tidbits related to Sevii available? How has Klay's departure affected things? Any guesses whether Sevii will release this year? How's Bluerise doing? Haven't heard from him in a while.

LunaticJames

Content maker
Thanks again for this info. Any updated tidbits related to Sevii available? How has Klay's departure affected things? Any guesses whether Sevii will release this year? How's Bluerise doing? Haven't heard from him in a while.

Heyhey,

I can answer a few things, but these will just be from *ੈ✩‧₊˚ my own perspective *ੈ✩‧₊˚ rather than the staff as a whole.

Q - "Any updated tidbits related to Sevii available?" / "Any guesses whether Sevii will release this year?"
A - For now, no estimate can be given, and I don't have anything new to share. Sorry. Though I'd like to have it be out before end of year.
"Why is that?"
*Opens box of excuses* Firstly, since the winter event finished I have moved country, so have been relatively absent from most of PWO things since mid Feb. There have also been some difficulties due to various IRL events for some staff, that I won't get into as not my place to explain, which has impacted availability and in turn shifted focus away from PWO of course.
On the bright side, I've moved into a house finally, and others are showing to be more available again. So hope to pick up availability soon and get bac to Sevii again where we left off.

Q - "How has Klay's departure affected things?"
A - Well with any staff departure, it causes self reflection. It has no real impact on Sevii, but Klay's departure has led to a sorts of internal review of how we operate between ourselves, and with players. We have changed from past self reflections and in turn made updates to our transparency, so I would be expecting to have visible changes from this as well.
This internal review hasn't really concluded, but it has a set list of changes we need to make to ourselves at the Staff level to be better. How to be more approachable, be less involved with Drama, have clear staff guidelines and expectations for roles etc.

Q - "How's Bluerise doing? Haven't heard from him in a while."
A - He can probably answer this himself, if he sees it, I'll poke him.
UZcmyMJ.png

Last I checked he was dealing with some issue last week on the mobile website not embedding discord correctly or something. Boring tbh. There is a backlog of client changes we are working on before I moved country, which we can now pick up again after Easter which I find more exciting.

Now it's my turn to ask D<
Q - "Would players be interested in seeing any results from our internal staff review? Like an update log, or a bullet list of changes."
Q - "Should we have a thread, potentially locked to staff posting only, but publicly visible of our upcoming priorities. Or 'Active Workings' of what each staff is working on (Where applicable)"
Q - "What are players wanting/expecting to hear or see from us? I know the moderate silence since end of Jan has been a bit too much. Sorry."
Q - "After the Internal staff review is complete - Should we have a section on the Playerdex where people can directly apply to staff for certain roles? Won't lie, a lot of issues could probably be resolved if we had more manpower."

Isguros

Youngster
Q - "Would players be interested in seeing any results from our internal staff review? Like an update log, or a bullet list of changes."
In my opinion that's something us players don't need to know since it won't effect us. It's not a bad thing that this issue has been publicly addressed, but problems between staff can be resolved between staff.

Q - "Should we have a thread, potentially locked to staff posting only, but publicly visible of our upcoming priorities. Or 'Active Workings' of what each staff is working on (Where applicable)"
I like to know what I can expect, that's why I'm always thrilled to see changelogs or threads like these. Unfortunately those latter threads weren't meant to be updated, so all the hype surrounding them has been has been building up and taken a life of its own, accompanied by expectations conjured up out of thin air. A locked thread that players can use to keep tabs on upcoming stuff sounds great.

Q - "What are players wanting/expecting to hear or see from us? I know the moderate silence since end of Jan has been a bit too much. Sorry."
If there ain't nothing to tell, you shouldn't feel obliged to say things. If y'all do end up making the beforementioned thread, especially, what more could we ask about?

Q - "After the Internal staff review is complete - Should we have a section on the Playerdex where people can directly apply to staff for certain roles? Won't lie, a lot of issues could probably be resolved if we had more manpower."
I don't know what kind of vacancies there are, or how hard the staff team has been looking for new additions, but I'm not sure if such a thing would be handy or inconvenient. The PWO staff team is a team in the purest form, as in there's no apparent hierarchy, at least not that I'm aware: everyone has to work together by doing their own things or helping each other out. How well someone will fit in that group is key, and that's why usually members of the staff team approach people they've shown interest in, and not the other way around. Even if there was an application page, I don't think it would change a whole lot when it comes to the vetting process.

Sorey

Read the NPCs dialogues, pls
Staff member
Game Editor
About Sevii, @thunderclap , the delay on the release is (the most part) my fault. I am working in an extra work project and it's limiting my available time to script the rest of Sevii. We have done a lot already, however, there's is a lot to do still as well. This project might be extended until end of July, so until that, i might not be able to focus on PWO. I am still up to do small corrections and solve bug catcher tickets, but huge contents as Sevii need more time invested than I can offer for now. All I can say is that I am compromised to release it as soon as possible, since it's one of the main objectives I've put in my mind once I became a staff member. Sorry for the inconvenience

shodan21

Youngster
my initial inclination is "yes, absolutely". Isguros makes a decent point that it's not really necessary for players to know - unless, of course, something relevant to players does indeed come out of that - but transparency from staff to players has been weak for a pretty long time. there's probably a happy medium somewhere in between.
yes. full stop.
progress and evidence thereof. stasis has defined this game for a long time, which is a great way for people to lose interest and go elsewhere. for specific improvements, the battle system has too many things broken (items, important abilities, moves) and missing (items, moves, natures), and the delay between each step in the battle process (i.e., each line of text in the battle transcript) makes pvp a huge slogfest, especially with some of the notorious stall tactics. considering pvp is basically the endgame of PWO (aside from collecting), it really isn't a good look to have so much stuff unfinished there. also, a way to cancel a selected action and choose another (before the opponent has chosen an action, that is) would also be nice, particularly with how choice locks work with the fight button.
i'd say yes on the basis of knowing who's actually interested in what position(s) before spending time on the background check that's done in advance of offering a staff position - you'd still want to vet people tightly enough to not get another rogue "let's delete the database for fun!" staff member, or someone who'd otherwise be a waste of time to train up, of course, but it'd probably be useful to know who's really available and what qualifications they have. think it would be better to make sure the actual applications are not publicly visible, though, as i suspect that could become quite a font of drama otherwise. also, this would be a good way of putting forth what positions are needed/available for transparency. maybe a forum section where the only universally visible thread is a locked thread with directions on how to apply and a list of current staff? and players can create threads, but can only see that universal thread plus what they create? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

thunderclap

Youngster
Thank you guys for the replies. Much appreciated.
Q - "How's Bluerise doing? Haven't heard from him in a while."
A - He can probably answer this himself, if he sees it, I'll poke him.
UZcmyMJ.png
Great to hear, and made me laugh!
Just if there's anything real and noteworthy, like structural/policy changes. I wouldn't want that documentation to take away from other possible progress. If there's already a list that's been made, then sure I'd be interested in seeing it. I agree with Guros that any drama between staff is probably best kept private.
This would be amazing. I get antsy when things are quiet and assume the worst. Blue's log of updates thread is great but it doesn't get updated much. The best example of development updates I've seen was the Mother 3 Fan Translation project blog. This is possibly overkill / beyond the intended scope, but has nice organizational benefits. Literally every/any tidbit is much appreciated.
Just hoping to hear from various staff more often, even if it's just "I'm alive" or "took a stroll through some client code to reacquaint myself after a longish break today; would like to determine cause of backspace issue". In general I'd hope to see more honesty, more transparency, and less secrecy. If people are doing stuff, they should take credit for it, not grow bitter in silence. One staff member shouldn't worry about what they can and can't say without reprisal from higher-up staff.
I don't think we need a dedicated section on Playerdex. Otherwise every brand new player will be spamming applications, without much context or relevant vision about what PWO needs. However, there is definitely too much resistance against accepting help, and too much risk aversion / hesitancy for change, in my opinion. We don't need a feasibility study to extend the AFK timer, for example, nor a staff meeting. Someone should just make those changes, and if they don't work, change them back. Worst that happens is some downtime, which is to be expected anyway for a beta game.
Sorry for the inconvenience
Bro, you of all people don't need to apologize for anything. I know everyone works together and contributes their part, but (more often than not) you seem to be the driving force for things getting done, lately at least. If that's not true, other people should speak more often lol.

Last edited: