Event Pory Event Mapping Contest!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belemuel

Calling all mappers! Shodan21 came up with a suggestion for a Porygon-centered event (see thread here), but didn't include a map design because, well, he isn't a mapper :p. So, he needs your help to see this idea through to fruition!

The event plot/quest description are the general guidelines for map submissions. Submissions may contain multiple maps to be used in tandem. Per shodan's request to constrain creativity as little as possible, no other rules are provided. Additionally, if you would like to enter but don't want to fit the setting described (e.g., the plot/quest strongly suggests an indoor setting), feel free to suggest a different setting to go along with your map(s).

1st Place - 14 days of MS
2nd Place - 7 days of MS
3rd Place - 3 days of MS

Participating grants some tokens

Warning to players: Little to no effort in the maps will result in ZERO prizes.

Please submit all maps to me via PM.

Submissions due by September 13.

Happy Mapping!

Link to the map editor is here. https://forum.pokemon-world-online.com/index.php?pages/download-links/

Link to our glossary of mapping tutorials
https://forum.pokemon-world-online.com/index.php?threads/list-of-mapping-tutorials-and-guides.2385/

Last edited by a moderator:

Klay

Youngster
Should we submit here? Or send maps to you?

Also, you forgot to say people are free to pm you if they have questions regarding mapping and the reason of their ban ;)

Last edited:

Belemuel

Please submit all maps to me via a PM.

Thanks

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
Nice klay :D *secretly plans to copy and call my own*

LunaticJames

Content maker
Heyhey,

Apologies for the delay.
The entrants have provided the maps and the staff have casted the votes. Below are the results of the mapping tournament. It is good to say that all participants submitted a map of quality, with clear thought and effort being given on how it can tie into the world. We think it is important to have these feature in game in the future as well, when possible.

A large congratulations to the winner, who's skills were appraised quite highly by multiple staff. It's not easy to make maps that aren't boring, and the winners maps were a great example of how to make a square map not appear square.

1st - 14 days of MS
GuiiHenrique

2nd - 7 days of MS
Klay

3rd - 3 days of MS
Tied between shodan21 and Witchy~

And as noted, event participants will also be rewarded a small sum of tokens too. I will endeavour to badger a different staff member to grant these rewards (in a greatly faster manner than announcing the winners took) because I cannot :<
GMHalp.

Krysi

Local Scapegoat
Website
anilist.co
Unfortunately no, I specified that it couldn't be undone once Klay chose to give their rewards to you. :)

GuiiHenrique

Hello, first I would like to congratulate all players who send their maps and make this competition possible. I would also like to congratulate the Team members who, by allowing this type of event, make the players feel like an effective part of the game. Nor can I forget to congratulate the players who suggested this event.

Well, I think everyone agrees that I’m a player that doesn’t appear much to the community, but some people know that I follow everything (or almost everything) that happens within the game and these same people also know how critical I am with the way in that the PWO is conducted. First of all, my reader friend, you should know that I am only sending this message due to the fact that I won this competition, thus avoiding the existence of unnecessary comments.

Come on ... I'll try to be as brief as possible (I have difficulties with that).

First of all I want to make it clear that PWO has been letting me down and discouraging me for a long time. The proof of this is the simple fact that I abandoned a skin project because I was aware that the work and time spent would not pay off due to the very low number of players that the game has.
Route.png
city.png

But why am I saying this? The answer is simple ... It is due to the simple fact that the game disappointed me once again. Let it be clear, I am TOTALLY AGAINST the way in which this Mapping Contest was carried out. Well, I have been a PWO player since 2008 and at a certain stage of the game I was able to meet different players who performed incredible work as a pixel artist, mapper and who had creative ideas and projects available on the forum or in private chats. Sometimes I was able to witness the union of these players for the realization of possible events and the results were spectacular, but I never noticed a dignified recognition, the recommendation was always to post on the forum as a suggestion and nothing more than that.

I don't want to judge or disparage the creators of this Pory Event, on the contrary, I admire that there are still players who try to somehow make the game evolve, however in MY OPINION this event only serves to end a long period in which the players had no "news" within the game. With all the respect in the world, but that event could very well be a Swarm or Mini Event at the Power Plant. I particularly admire stories within a game and in that Pory Event I missed a lot of information that I would consider simple. Hackers creating an evil virus is a good idea, but how can the player fight it? Going to the PokeCenter computer? If it's in a new area, how do I get there? Is anyone recruiting a help team? In my opinion it is not the creator of the map who should answer such questions and in this event specifically the only thing that does not need adjustments is the Quest (however I believe it should not be informed beforehand).

Once again, I do not want to disparage the creators of the event (they are not to blame), quite the contrary, I end up creating a certain admiration in seeing players trying to help in the evolution of the game. My criticism is made of the way in which the game is conducted (GE asking for help to carry out the coding of the game seems like a joke). I believe that it would be more coherent to carry out a Mapping Contest in which the participants were free to create their events completely (map, pokes, quest, among other things), even allowing the creation of teams made by the players that would alleviate the needs within a team.

In summary: PWO saw its player base drop and did nothing, I agree that 2020 has been a stressful year for everyone but nothing justifies the abandonment time that the game is in and it seems to me that the solution found was to transfer all functions for the players.

Well, I didn't want a big post so I go to the final notes:

Note 1: If you are against my opinion and think that I am wrong, justify it, but do not say that I am a toxic player or other nonsense, if you just say that it is against my opinion you will already have my respect.

Note 2: I would like to congratulate the participants of this Mapping Contest again. It is really difficult to create a map when you do not know the limits imposed.

Note 3: Here is actually a suggestion for Staff. If the intention is to make room for the players, do it completely. Do not take a little of each player, join and put it in an event, the players themselves can do it in a more organized way and for sure the result will be better.

Note 4: I would like to see the competing maps, it is always good to see the results of other, depending on the amount of maps posted, I will also send a screen of the winning map (after all, we already know the quests, pokes and even the prize, I don't see problem with knowing the map).

Note 5: If you saw my skin and was curious, comment and I will create a specific topic with all the news it has and maybe even make it available for another player to continue this project.

Note 6: I sent some suggestions next to the map, it remains to be seen if any will be implemented.

Note 7: I know that everyone has a life outside the game, but ... (by the way, I'm tired of hearing this justification).

Note 8: Stay safe, stay well! ;)

Shinx !?

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
Hello, first I would like to congratulate all players who send their maps and make this competition possible. I would also like to congratulate the Team members who, by allowing this type of event, make the players feel like an effective part of the game. Nor can I forget to congratulate the players who suggested this event.

Well, I think everyone agrees that I’m a player that doesn’t appear much to the community, but some people know that I follow everything (or almost everything) that happens within the game and these same people also know how critical I am with the way in that the PWO is conducted. First of all, my reader friend, you should know that I am only sending this message due to the fact that I won this competition, thus avoiding the existence of unnecessary comments.

Come on ... I'll try to be as brief as possible (I have difficulties with that).

First of all I want to make it clear that PWO has been letting me down and discouraging me for a long time. The proof of this is the simple fact that I abandoned a skin project because I was aware that the work and time spent would not pay off due to the very low number of players that the game has.

But why am I saying this? The answer is simple ... It is due to the simple fact that the game disappointed me once again. Let it be clear, I am TOTALLY AGAINST the way in which this Mapping Contest was carried out. Well, I have been a PWO player since 2008 and at a certain stage of the game I was able to meet different players who performed incredible work as a pixel artist, mapper and who had creative ideas and projects available on the forum or in private chats. Sometimes I was able to witness the union of these players for the realization of possible events and the results were spectacular, but I never noticed a dignified recognition, the recommendation was always to post on the forum as a suggestion and nothing more than that.

I don't want to judge or disparage the creators of this Pory Event, on the contrary, I admire that there are still players who try to somehow make the game evolve, however in MY OPINION this event only serves to end a long period in which the players had no "news" within the game. With all the respect in the world, but that event could very well be a Swarm or Mini Event at the Power Plant. I particularly admire stories within a game and in that Pory Event I missed a lot of information that I would consider simple. Hackers creating an evil virus is a good idea, but how can the player fight it? Going to the PokeCenter computer? If it's in a new area, how do I get there? Is anyone recruiting a help team? In my opinion it is not the creator of the map who should answer such questions and in this event specifically the only thing that does not need adjustments is the Quest (however I believe it should not be informed beforehand).

Once again, I do not want to disparage the creators of the event (they are not to blame), quite the contrary, I end up creating a certain admiration in seeing players trying to help in the evolution of the game. My criticism is made of the way in which the game is conducted (GE asking for help to carry out the coding of the game seems like a joke). I believe that it would be more coherent to carry out a Mapping Contest in which the participants were free to create their events completely (map, pokes, quest, among other things), even allowing the creation of teams made by the players that would alleviate the needs within a team.

In summary: PWO saw its player base drop and did nothing, I agree that 2020 has been a stressful year for everyone but nothing justifies the abandonment time that the game is in and it seems to me that the solution found was to transfer all functions for the players.

Well, I didn't want a big post so I go to the final notes:

Note 1: If you are against my opinion and think that I am wrong, justify it, but do not say that I am a toxic player or other nonsense, if you just say that it is against my opinion you will already have my respect.

Note 2: I would like to congratulate the participants of this Mapping Contest again. It is really difficult to create a map when you do not know the limits imposed.

Note 3: Here is actually a suggestion for Staff. If the intention is to make room for the players, do it completely. Do not take a little of each player, join and put it in an event, the players themselves can do it in a more organized way and for sure the result will be better.

Note 4: I would like to see the competing maps, it is always good to see the results of other, depending on the amount of maps posted, I will also send a screen of the winning map (after all, we already know the quests, pokes and even the prize, I don't see problem with knowing the map).

Note 5: If you saw my skin and was curious, comment and I will create a specific topic with all the news it has and maybe even make it available for another player to continue this project.

Note 6: I sent some suggestions next to the map, it remains to be seen if any will be implemented.

Note 7: I know that everyone has a life outside the game, but ... (by the way, I'm tired of hearing this justification).

Note 8: Stay safe, stay well! ;)

Shinx !?
Cool story bro

LunaticJames

Content maker
Hey Guii,

And thank you for the not-at-all-long message ;)
We know we need to be both better as well as more clear on communication, more on that below. And also congrats on the win :D

Cool looking skin too btw :3
I understand the perils of wanting to make a skin that can be shared to a low audience could be not desirable, but always encourage it. Just don't get into the trap that every skin needs to be perfect, otherwise you might grow resentment towards working on it.
3Kx96ZS.jpg
I honestly suggest to just complete it. I would not mind making it one of the default skins in a future install package if completed, and if I can get away with it >> (Jinji, Lees?), but can understand that matching up map tiles is a complete pain due to how the sheets interact and the volume of it. Compacted with what was noted above.

This event was held because of an idea spawned from the community, which is noted at the top and in a forum link. It was seen as a good idea which spun up into this eventual competition but, as you stated, tied into the original suggestion as it let players help be part of the game by conducting another player directed event. Especially with not much news recently.
Though it is not true to say we abandoned all our responsibilities to players just from this event alone. It does allow us to have something going in the community that is not a mini event/swarm, while allowing us to work on other things in the meanwhile.

Leading into note 7 though:
" Note 7: I know that everyone has a life outside the game, but ... (by the way, I'm tired of hearing this justification). "
I believe up to 2 of our staff work in the medical field, which even outside the outlier that is 2020 is a fun balancing act. With 2020, and well the scales are weighted out of our favour and need to find alternative ways to keep moving forwards, while also maintaining the current status quo. We may not be receiving a good mark for this currently, but I'd still push a C+ at best with all things considered.
We are, as always, being active in the background, but are not ready to announce anything just yet while we are still tunnelling our new paths forwards through the maze of 2020. And unsurprisingly, some weeks are, and can be better than previous ones :/

There is more I could say, but leads into the personal reasons of why people are not at 100%, which I think would be rude to share openly as it was shared to the staff privately.
And as a team, we are working our best through this. Maybe it can be a lesson learned on how to approach things in the future, but also understand that we're always available to discuss things in Discord if desired. Essentially all PWO staff are on there, and are mostly reachable within reason. (not many are likely to respond to a pm at 4am on a workday)

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
The Covid-19 Pandemic has had a large impact on our ability to organise ourselves; and availability of Staff has regularly changed at short notice. Nonetheless, PWO has been through worse situations and come out alive; and much of that is down to the passion, resiliency and dedication of the Team. We know we have disappointed many of you lately with the lack of communication and because we haven't been public with a lot of the things we're currently working on, but we have never stopped working on the game and we are always taking everyone's feedback on board.

@LunaticJames I have actually stated many a time before that I would be open to including some community-made skins into the official installer, and I'd be happy to discuss with the team a set of criteria by which we could start considering them for inclusion. Speaking for myself, I consider key criteria to be: The skin must have a consistent appearance for the majority of its GUI and have as few "unfinished" elements as possible; and the user who created the skin must have an active interest in maintaining it. I'm also considering the development of a tool to package and distribute skins, if there is significant enough interest and I can figure out an effective distribution model - I don't have a concrete plan yet, but it's been a thought of mine for some time and I'm up for discussing it if you'd like.

Klay

Youngster
Hello

Note 4:
I would like to see the competing maps, it is always good to see the results of other, depending on the amount of maps posted, I will also send a screen of the winning map (after all, we already know the quests, pokes and even the prize, I don't see problem with knowing the map).

Shinx !?

Changed some things from the original context:
The quest would take place in an office specialized in cyber-criminality based in Celadon Condominiums (with all their nerd techs in a basement). These two locations would be accessible thanks to Security Man Stan.
The basement would have spawns and a PC, so players can have easy access to their newly caught trashes.

Small details explained:
- sofa to rest once the quest is done
- plant felt on the ground = part of the office where the fight would take place
- beer on a desk = don't put drinks near computers
- books = random nerdy fantasy trash because they're all nerds
- plans in the basement = Team Rocket's plans to rob clients of the S.S. Anne (boat in office and basement)

sho1.png

The Office PWO

sho21.png

tidier than my room

link to download maps

Last edited:

shodan21

Youngster
... It is due to the simple fact that the game disappointed me once again. Let it be clear, I am TOTALLY AGAINST the way in which this Mapping Contest was carried out. Well, I have been a PWO player since 2008 and at a certain stage of the game I was able to meet different players who performed incredible work as a pixel artist, mapper and who had creative ideas and projects available on the forum or in private chats. Sometimes I was able to witness the union of these players for the realization of possible events and the results were spectacular, but I never noticed a dignified recognition, the recommendation was always to post on the forum as a suggestion and nothing more than that.

I'll be perfectly honest: the quest was a total excuse plot - the spawns were always the purpose of the suggestion - so I don't disagree with the notion that it could be a swarm or mini-event. That's part of the reason why I allowed (to be clear, I wrote the rules for this contest) for players submitting map entries to alter it (well, that and Klay's particular distaste for interior mapping ;)). However, I have to take exception with the "never noticed a dignified reception", since that's what this mapping contest was. I don't appreciate how long it took to announce the results, but staff have otherwise been remarkably receptive to this idea, even before I wrote it up as a suggestion. In fact, it was Pansy's encouragement when mulling over theme ideas in Discord and in game that led me to actually submit this as an event suggestion, which, if you followed everything as much as you claimed, you might have known already. I'm aware that this isn't the massive content update (Sevii, Hoenn, etc.) PWO needs, but as you correctly note, there hasn't been much going on since the three events that led off the year, so I would think this preferable over a continuation of that.

Also, your questions about "missing information" seem to suggest that you didn't even read what I wrote up for the quest outline. You ask how the player can fight the virus; I specifically noted that you fight Porygon-Z (which, while not explicitly specified, is implied to be the cause of the virus). You ask if anyone is recruiting a help team; did you gloss over the specialist NPCs you have to collect items for? Your new area question is valid, but I figured that would ultimately be for staff to handle - whether to have an event teleporter NPC, make it a Holodeck map, put the facility on an island accessed by ferry, etc. - unless otherwise specified by the mapper.

Ultimately, though, the reason this mapping contest exists came down to two things: one, I didn't make a map to accompany my suggestion originally, which, now that I know how to make maps, is a mistake I don't think I'll be making again, especially with this kind of attitude from the winner of the contest; and two, Belemuel suggested it and followed through with it, given the opportunity and the fact that there hasn't been one in a long time.

Edited to specifically address these parts:

... (GE asking for help to carry out the coding of the game seems like a joke)...

... it seems to me that the solution found was to transfer all functions for the players...
  1. Pansy is a GM, not a GE, and that was (mostly) a joke.
  2. The event suggestion was my initiative. I came up with the idea. Pansy and others simply encouraged me to flesh it out beyond spawns, but this was not staff saying "we don't have time to come up with an event, anyone want to do it for us?" as you imply. Staff availability was part of the impetus for doing the mapping contest, but those are not a new thing, so that's a weak argument.

Last edited:

GuiiHenrique

Hey Guii,

And thank you for the not-at-all-long message ;)
We know we need to be both better as well as more clear on communication, more on that below. And also congrats on the win :D

Cool looking skin too btw :3
I understand the perils of wanting to make a skin that can be shared to a low audience could be not desirable, but always encourage it. Just don't get into the trap that every skin needs to be perfect, otherwise you might grow resentment towards working on it.
3Kx96ZS.jpg
I honestly suggest to just complete it. I would not mind making it one of the default skins in a future install package if completed, and if I can get away with it >> (Jinji, Lees?), but can understand that matching up map tiles is a complete pain due to how the sheets interact and the volume of it. Compacted with what was noted above.

This event was held because of an idea spawned from the community, which is noted at the top and in a forum link. It was seen as a good idea which spun up into this eventual competition but, as you stated, tied into the original suggestion as it let players help be part of the game by conducting another player directed event. Especially with not much news recently.
Though it is not true to say we abandoned all our responsibilities to players just from this event alone. It does allow us to have something going in the community that is not a mini event/swarm, while allowing us to work on other things in the meanwhile.

Leading into note 7 though:

I believe up to 2 of our staff work in the medical field, which even outside the outlier that is 2020 is a fun balancing act. With 2020, and well the scales are weighted out of our favour and need to find alternative ways to keep moving forwards, while also maintaining the current status quo. We may not be receiving a good mark for this currently, but I'd still push a C+ at best with all things considered.
We are, as always, being active in the background, but are not ready to announce anything just yet while we are still tunnelling our new paths forwards through the maze of 2020. And unsurprisingly, some weeks are, and can be better than previous ones :/

There is more I could say, but leads into the personal reasons of why people are not at 100%, which I think would be rude to share openly as it was shared to the staff privately.
And as a team, we are working our best through this. Maybe it can be a lesson learned on how to approach things in the future, but also understand that we're always available to discuss things in Discord if desired. Essentially all PWO staff are on there, and are mostly reachable within reason. (not many are likely to respond to a pm at 4am on a workday)
The Covid-19 Pandemic has had a large impact on our ability to organise ourselves; and availability of Staff has regularly changed at short notice. Nonetheless, PWO has been through worse situations and come out alive; and much of that is down to the passion, resiliency and dedication of the Team. We know we have disappointed many of you lately with the lack of communication and because we haven't been public with a lot of the things we're currently working on, but we have never stopped working on the game and we are always taking everyone's feedback on board.

@LunaticJames I have actually stated many a time before that I would be open to including some community-made skins into the official installer, and I'd be happy to discuss with the team a set of criteria by which we could start considering them for inclusion. Speaking for myself, I consider key criteria to be: The skin must have a consistent appearance for the majority of its GUI and have as few "unfinished" elements as possible; and the user who created the skin must have an active interest in maintaining it. I'm also considering the development of a tool to package and distribute skins, if there is significant enough interest and I can figure out an effective distribution model - I don't have a concrete plan yet, but it's been a thought of mine for some time and I'm up for discussing it if you'd like.

Well, from 2012 to 2015 the charges made by the players were summed up in Hoenn's addition to the game.

As of 2016 many players began to ask for anything that was new to the game, and it could even be an update on the Battle Tower that was added the previous year (and also from here the online player base started to drop dramatically).

In 2018 a topic with a sarcastic content made by a player (collector) with a high number of hours played was blocked by the simple fact that he said that the online player base was below 60 (it was considered untrue or attempted troll).

Well, I may be mistaken, but it seems to me that the problems of PWO did not arise this year or last year, but they already have a historical basis.

And let it be clear, when I say that the game is abandoned I don't mean in the literal sense of the word, I usually follow the Change Logs and I have only seen occasional updates, but that in my point of view will not add much to the game, or that is, I cannot see a promising future.

I also know that the PWO Staff has health professionals on their team and I know that one of them (the one with flippers) is responsible for holding (if not all) most events, actively participating in any news within the game. I also know that this same member had plans for the whole year (with defined months for each project) that were interrupted by humanitarian issues. And that's where in my opinion the problem is, if he can't be there, the game just stands still.

Currently I have seen PWO as a closed community and a game that works more like a chat between friends leaving that premise of a game created by fans made for fans. I particularly like to make this kind of comment open simply to look at different perspectives or points of view. I don't want to belittle anyone's work, look at it as constructive criticism and only worry if nobody ever sends you feedback about your work.

I am aware that Staff members have no obligation to maintain a non-profit game, and I also have the notion that if I am not happy here I can just leave the game that probably nobody will miss me. However, the simplicity of PWO is what holds me and it is really sad to see a game that has already given me a message from a crowded server being in the situation it is in.

Note: The message about giving up finishing a Skin was just to try to illustrate how disheartening the game is. That Skin is not an individual feat, but a project among part of my Guild members along with some close friends. At no time did we think about distributing it to other players or making it official. The result would be something closed only to its creators. I want to say here that it is discouraging for the simple fact that the only member of this "team" that remains "active" in the game is me, the other creators, as well as the vast majority of players gave up on the game simply for not seeing any sign of improvement.

The focus of my message is to share my discontent with the way the game is conducted. Using this Mapping Contest as an example, the feeling I had is that they decided to take someone's idea and put it together with someone else's map, if the result works, PERFECT! If it doesn't, well, nothing can be done ... after all, it was the players' own idea (in short, transfer of responsibilities).

Status
Not open for further replies.