Event (Closed) The Year of The Pig Closing Celebration!

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Every year, as the sun passes from constellation to constellation, the residents of Jihai Village prepare one last major celebration to commemorate the end of the current astological year. This celebration tends to last a few weeks; and visitors from foreign lands are welcome to come visit during these festivities and enjoy a special celebration of the year as it passes, making memories perhaps even collecting some special mementos along the way.

Jihai Village has now completed its final celebrations for the Year of the Pig, and the stars have moved on to the next in line. This Event is now closed, and can no longer be accessed. The following details remain purely for reference purposes, and for the benefit of those who have already participated.

Important Notice about this Event:

An accidental oversight that was made during early releases of PWO Client 1.98 means that for some players, an item released during this event may cause their player sprite to become invisible. If you have previously installed the latest client, you may be affected by this glitch. However, don't worry - you do NOT need to redownload the game! You will, however, need to apply a patch. I have taken the liberty to release a special patcher for older versions of PWO v1.98 to fix the erroneous file and allow players to enjoy this event to the full:

Please be aware this patcher will NOT work if PWO is not already installed, or you point it to a different location to where PWO is installed.

If you have User Access Control (UAC) enabled on your PC, you will need to run PWO as an Administrator once after applying the patch. If there are any issues, please feel free to contact me.

Alternatively, you can apply the patch manually:

You need to edit the main Settings.ini file in the root Skins folder in your PWO install folder. By default, this file is located in:
64-bit OS: C:\Program Files (x86)\Pokemon World Online\Skins\Settings.ini
32-bit OS: C:\Program Files\Pokemon World Online\Skins\Settings.ini

Open the file (you may need to open as Administrator if you have UAC enabled); and look for the following lines. Change both number 7s to 9 or any higher number:

NumberOfPlayerSprites = 7
NumberOfPlayerTextures = 7

Save; and that's it!

The main installer package has also been rebuilt to include the new file, so any new installs or reinstalls as of today will not require the above patch.

Last edited:

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
By the way, the TEXT is WRONG when you interact with the statues for stage 6 of the event quests. Someone should check that out. When I used the moves it kept saying "The Earth Statue" no matter what statue I was at.

Klay

Youngster
What us players think:
Screen_Shot_01-18-20_at_02.40_PM.PNG

...ridiculously easy. Next time do hard quests please.

Nshims

Spoink mask still make my sprite disappear even after installing the patch or reinstalling the client, is there anything else i can do to try fix it?

Klay

Youngster
Did you try applying the fix manually? (going in Settings.ini and manually changing the values)

Isguros

Youngster
Does your current skin have the sprite pictures included in it?

Nshims

No, i'm not used to run games as admin, but thanks anyway.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
As stated in the original post - the fix may require PWO to be ran as an Admin at least once to take effect. This is due to the way User Access Control, introduced in Windows Vista and upwards, handles file access for software installed in protected folders with reduced permissions.
With the introduction of User Access Control, many of Windows' core folders are now considered "Protected folders". This includes the Windows folder itself, as well as Program Files. If a program is installed to these folders, Microsoft applies certain restrictions to prevent unauthorised access to system files.

When you install a program to these folders with UAC enabled, Windows creates a virtual store of the program's files. In effect, everything that is installed to Program Files, is copied to a secret folder in your User files, for which Admin permissions are not needed. When you then run the software, any time a file is accessed in a protected folder, if Admin permissions weren't granted to the application, Windows redirects the call to the virtual storage, and uses the copies it has made instead. This way, protected files are NEVER accessed without Admin permissions.

Unfortunately, this safety feature has a fatal flaw. Because Windows won't even touch the protected folders until Admin permissions have been granted to the application, if a file in the protected folder is subsequently changed, Windows won't update the copy it made until you run the application as an Admin. This means applications will continue to use an older version of the file. Only once the software is ran as an Administrator will the files be updated.

An alternative solution is to reinstall PWO in a non-protected folder, such as your My Documents folder. However, this may feel jarring and unusual to most people; and may complicate our ability to give support.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
I guess they can't.

The Sign Post Maiden says "we celebrate to the 25th", but @Jinji said "the end of January", which to me is still a week away, instead of tomorrow.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Apologies for the confusion! What the Sign Post Maiden actually was saying is that they observe the start of the next year on the 25th. However, the event is continuing until the end of this week.

whisMEAT

Youngster
Apologies for the confusion! What the Sign Post Maiden actually was saying is that they observe the start of the next year on the 25th. However, the event is continuing until the end of this week.
there are hidden rat-year-lovers amoung us. it is a complo to give more raticate facade :eek:

parquettistapazzo

Youngster
Thank you for the event!
I enjoyed it very much. Some feedback:
- Duration was enough so that everyone could catch T4 and T5 pokemons; I enjoyed this.
- Liked very much the quest in which you needed different moves. It was challenging, fun, and required planning and thinking. I'd enjoy to see more of this
- Overall quests were fun and challenging. The battle quests with "dishonest" snake battlers was a nice idea but too hard. Methods to win were too few and too specific, probably. I get this was done so that veteran players could win the reward for opening the portal and this is ok, but personally I found it a little frustrating.

Anyway, I had so much fun! Keep doing events like these!

Isguros

Youngster
Thanks to the efforts of all the participating players, the Year of the Pig and the festivities surrounding it have come to an end without any further issues.

On behalf of the entire staff team I'd like to thank each and everyone of you for celebrating with us and making this event as grand as it has been.

I hope to see you all in the near future so that we can make the Year of the Rat just as joyous and delightful as the Year of the Pig turned out to be.​

Can't have Jinji to be forced to do everything ;)

Last edited: