New Fishing Rods

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
It is high time we get access to at least a GOOD ROD since I hate standing there fishing the same spot until it's been fished out and I never even got a damn nibble.

A GOOD ROD with an increased hit rate, like 50%, would be well worth me paying 100,000 to get it. I'd gladly pay 250,000 if you make a SUPER ROD that ALWAYS gets a bit. It could be like the old "Great Ball Upgrade", or an entirely new item.

Fishing is a HUGE waste of time when there's never a bite, and I really don't feel like wasting my entire life trying to get a bite. I don't have 12+ hours a day just to sit here and fish. Pretty soon I'm just gonna drop in some dynamite and call it a day.

Darren.

Youngster
yes this sounds like a "SUPER" idea getting a bit every time would be nice :)

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
Yea started fishing again yesturday trying to get to 300lvl and getting misses and broken lines still is kind of silly. Need new rods or atleast perks the higher you get.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Perks is an excellent idea. Higher fishing level equating to more successful attempts. Kind of scaled like rarities, things get easier to get a bite.

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
So its been a few days fishing in dragon's den and the amount of no nibbles I'm getting is ridiculous. Fishing really needs some work because at this point I don't see the reason to have fishing encounters in a place like dd with this many misses. Whether it is a new rod or some bait attachment some changes need to be made. It needs to be more in line with the amount of encounters you get while in grass, at least the encounters should increase once you past level 50 fishing.

Last edited:

whisMEAT

Youngster
İ think a very small amount per every 50 level of fishing is doable .it will have rewarding effect those who labor enough .and it will not be vainless labor thinking how hard to get t4-5fishing in some areas .
Also kinda meaningless to have same fishing odds with over 200 fishing level guys while im aroung 100

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
Adding a Bait Shop would be another nice money pit. I wouldn't want bait to be expensive if it is 1 bait per bite. On the other hand, it would be alright if it lasted 5 minute or something. Like throwing chum into the water, it would attract pokemon and that spot would be hard to fish out for at least 5 minutes, and every other casting is a strike.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
All of these ideas are great, in my opinion.

When Fishing Rods were added to the game, the decision to call the rod the "Old Rod" was made for three reasons. Firstly, it was canon. Secondly, it reflects PWO's (not really well-established) maxim that the game occurs ten years in the future to FireRed and LeafGreen. However, the major reason was because there was an expectation that other rods would eventually be added at a future date. The reason this has not happened is simply that the fishing mechanics don't currently support different rod types; and there has not to date been a significant call for this to be implemented.

One idea I had, long ago, was that Fishing Levels would be linked to the Rod, not to the player. Once a Player hit a specific target level with the Old Rod, they could trade it in for a Good Rod, but the new Rod would go back to Fishing Level 1. Each Rod would have its own encounter rates and would increase the pool of fishable Pokémon; and the higher levelled a rod gets, the better encounters you can have; but each time you upgrade the rod, you have to then re-train to be able to encounter the new Pokémon it offers. I'm not sure if I ever really fully discussed this idea with the Staff.

Your idea of Bait is also a cool idea. Many other MMOs do include a consumable element to Fishing which influences exactly what can be found; and it would make for a good economic flow.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
@Jinji Well said. I like the idea of leveling up fishing like that. I'd totally go with it, but I would suggest a capped level so players can feel accomplished when they hit it. And they'd also know when it is time to upgrade to a new rod if possible.

there has not to date been a significant call for this

Not a call for it, as in players haven't come here and expressed their desire to have better access to fishing? Well, that may be, but I hear complains from players in-game and none seem ambitious enough to come in here and complain about it, so that's where I come in. It's not just Ramen and myself, I'm sure there are enough players wanting this so that a fishing update would be worth the time and effort.

I don't fish since I am easily frustrated, and fishing a spot dry without bites is discouraging. I only have level 45 fishing, and most of that was only because I chose to level it up during the dratini skin quest. Also, I wanted a shuckle, and thank god I found one within 10 minutes. I would fish more if I thought I stood a chance at it.

shodan21

Youngster
missing a fishing attempt wouldnt be so bad if it werent for the time-gating/anti-bot mechanics ("its too soon...", "poke broke the line and got away"). i know those are there to bring better parity with the not-overt time-gating in grass/surf hunting, but still.

also, train pokes to 100 by fishing (and surfing in between failed attempts) in CC B1F, fishing levels will come fairly quickly. and also poke levels, cause thats the best exp in the game. i gain a lot of fishing exp from fish spawns in events too, since those often have good rates, and from fishing in safari zone 3 hunting dratini. DD is the worst for, well, anything in the water - bad fish exp (except gyarados), bad poke exp (also except gyara), bad evs, and bad chance of finding anything you want to find (unless you want poliwag and wooper, but...).

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
"It's too soon" at least we can pretend is just us having to take time to reel in the line. No nibbles for a long time is also realistic, but quite annoying while playing a game. Especially due to the high population we encounter in grass/ caves. And I KNOW there ARE fish in there since I see them every 10 seconds while surfing, so bring on the nibbles! (nice war cry I think)