Easy suggestions for quick improvement of PWO.

Isguros

Youngster
PWO's installer would then hopefully extract the 7z file to the PWO folder, create a shortcut on the Desktop, rename it "IntegerScaler (PWO Fullscreen Alt-F11)" and modify the target line (-f -cc). Or something along those lines.
Too needlessly convoluted.

thunderclap

Youngster
thunderclap said:
PWO's installer would then hopefully extract the 7z file to the PWO folder, create a shortcut on the Desktop, rename it "IntegerScaler (PWO Fullscreen Alt-F11)" and modify the target line (-f -cc). Or something along those lines.
Too needlessly convoluted.
It is. However @MT4k the author doesn't want other people hosting the package, and he won't host a normal .zip instead of the .7z archive.

PWO's installer only has to be modified once to accomodate IntegerScaler. That's better than everyone having to do this whole convoluted tutorial (even though it's easy to do, not everyone is comfortable with computers).

I wouldn't call it needless anyway. Many people want full screen, and we want to keep as many new players as possible.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
This argument overlooks one important detail: IntegerScaler is not endorsed by the PWO Staff. While we acknowledge the usefulness of the tool in providing scaling options for the game, we do not offer any support for such third-party tools. That is the end of the matter.

thunderclap

Youngster
This argument overlooks one important detail: IntegerScaler is not endorsed by the PWO Staff. While we acknowledge the usefulness of the tool in providing scaling options for the game, we do not offer any support for such third-party tools. That is the end of the matter.
I think it's worth maintaining an open mind about, rather than issuing an absolute "no" as you have done. If at some point you happen to gain the ability to easily do as I have suggested, I think it would have a lot of benefit and wouldn't be that much work. Remember PWO is in "beta" so people don't necessarily expect a perfectly unified product.

Words certainly exist to convey that any 3rd party software is temporary, not officially endorsed, etc. IntegerScaler is freeware, lightweight, and portable, so it's far less messy than your typical 3rd party software.

Anyway, no need to discuss it further here. Don't want the thread to get bogged down and for the other suggestions to be forgotten.

Last edited:

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
To tell the truth, a thought that has crossed my mind once in a while is whether there would be value in developing a kind of separate, semi-official tool for downloading and updating PWO "DLC". It would mainly focus around skins, but could also include custom sprite sets players have created separately to skins; and perhaps I could bundle in IntegerScaler too. I'm not really sure if it'd be worth my time to work on such a thing, though... nor do I really have any plan on how I'd achieve it.

Having said that, one reason I would prefer to build a dedicated tool rather than implement such a thing in the PWO Installer, would be to prevent bloating the installer package or overcomplicating the number of steps required to install PWO. In addition, the particular engine I use to build the PWO Installer doesn't natively support downloading content on the fly, so if I were to do that, I'd have to look up how I'd build that in. Probably would need a few custom Python scripts added to the compiler, which is something I'm still learning about.

Last edited:

thunderclap

Youngster
To tell the truth, a thought that has crossed my mind once in a while is whether there would be value in developing a kind of separate, semi-official tool for downloading and updating PWO "DLC". It would mainly focus around skins, but could also include custom sprite sets players have created separately to skins; and perhaps I could bundle in IntegerScaler too. I'm not really sure if it'd be worth my time to work on such a thing, though... nor do I really have any plan on how I'd achieve it.

Having said that, one reason I would prefer to build a dedicated tool rather than implement such a thing in the PWO Installer, would be to prevent bloating the installer package or overcomplicating the number of steps required to install PWO. In addition, the particular engine I use to build the PWO Installer doesn't natively support downloading content on the fly, so if I were to do that, I'd have to look up how I'd build that in. Probably would need a few custom Python scripts added to the compiler, which is something I'm still learning about.

This is actually an amazing idea. I love it. Players could finally choose from other character sprites to use. Altering your sprite wouldn't just be local/cosmetic anymore: others would be able to see them. The app would remove all the complexity of locating/downloading/installing said modifications. A centralized curated collection would protect those mods from being lost as Mediafire links etc expire. The whole collection would just be synced/mirrored to each player.

People could submit their custom work for it to be approved/added to the collection. Trusted players would probably volunteer to take the burden of overseeing the approval/quality control. It'd also allow for custom surfboard/bike animations to be added over time.

I haven't messed with sprites/skins much so my technical understanding is limited. I imagine the client might need to be modified to allow more than the 7 current sets of sprites. Even though there's only 7 folders of character sprites currently, there's tons of NPC sprites players could use as well, either as-is or as a template for customization. Even just choosing between the existing ones would be a great improvement.

I've always been jealous seeing screenshots of other MMOs where every character looks different. And of course having/seeing other players everywhere you go (even if they're almost all AFK) is part of that fantasy. I had kind of given up on this seemingly impossible aspiration, but with your vision it actually seems like it could be possible. Extending the AFK timer (and the "must-be-moving-to-be-visible" requirement) would complement this app so nicely; activity boost would begin as an illusion, then snowball into a full-on PWO revival. It would be like perpetual Halloween with all the custom sprites everywhere.

Last edited:

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
This is actually an amazing idea. I love it. Players could finally choose from other character sprites to use. Altering your sprite wouldn't just be local/cosmetic anymore: others would be able to see them. The app would remove all the complexity of locating/downloading/installing said modifications. A centralized curated collection would protect those mods from being lost as Mediafire links etc expire. The whole collection would just be synced/mirrored to each player.

People could submit their custom work for it to be approved/added to the collection. Trusted players would probably volunteer to take the burden of overseeing the approval/quality control. It'd also allow for custom surfboard/bike animations to be added over time.

I haven't messed with sprites/skins much so my technical understanding is limited. I imagine the client might need to be modified to allow more than the 7 current sets of sprites. Even though there's only 7 folders of character sprites currently, there's tons of NPC sprites players could use as well, either as-is or as a template for customization. Even just choosing between the existing ones would be a great improvement.

I've always been jealous seeing screenshots of other MMOs where every character looks different. And of course having/seeing other players everywhere you go (even if they're almost all AFK) is part of that fantasy. I had kind of given up on this seemingly impossible aspiration, but with your vision it actually seems like it could be possible. Extending the AFK timer (and the "must-be-moving-to-be-visible" requirement) would complement this app so nicely; activity boost would begin as an illusion, then snowball into a full-on PWO revival. It would be like perpetual Halloween with all the custom sprites everywhere.
Perpetual Halloween, huh? Kekeke...

MT4k

Website
tanalin.com
PWO's installer only has to be modified once to accomodate IntegerScaler. That's better than everyone having to do this whole convoluted tutorial (even though it's easy to do, not everyone is comfortable with computers).

I wouldn't call it needless anyway. Many people want full screen, and we want to keep as many new players as possible.
Not sure I follow, but if the game is still under development, wouldn’t it be easier just to implement integer scaling in the game itself (instead of relying on third-party tools such as my IntegerScaler), using the technique known as Render-to-Texture or as a GPU shader?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Not sure I follow, but if the game is still under development, wouldn’t it be easier just to implement integer scaling in the game itself (instead of relying on third-party tools such as my IntegerScaler), using the technique known as Render-to-Texture or as a GPU shader?
As I said earlier...
A better solution all round would be to redevelop the client to allow scaling natively, thus removing the need for an external tool in the first place. This is an idea for which we are currently looking into the technical feasibility.

Cleveland

Youngster
I'll add another one:

Make Old Amber tradeable.

There is more of a market for event vouchers now than ever before (it really helps new players to get money for bike, surfboard, etc). Every single item from the Prize Corner is tradeable, except for Old Amber. Why? I can't imagine this was intended.

The market for vouchers would grow even more if players could trade for Old Ambers and go for epic/shiny Aero's.

Perhaps most importantly, making it tradeable will protect players from being scammed. Currently the seller has to buy the Aero then trade it. The seller could easily just keep it because it's good, or the buyer could easily just not pay because it's bad. Fortunately this has never happened to me but I have heard many stories of this happening before. Because of this, in its current state I would never buy an "Old Amber" from another player. BUT, if the Old Amber indeed became tradeable? I would buy it and I think many other players would, too. It would be the hottest item for players to sell from the Prize Corner, by far I think. And we'd start to see more good Aero's in game, which are few and far between.

NOTE: It appears the reason this item cannot be traded/sold/held is because it is listed as a 'Quest' item. I imagine it shouldn't be difficult to move it to the 'Other' category, where the Eggs go for example.

Last edited:

Cleveland

Youngster
I'll add another one:

There is more of a market for event vouchers now than ever before (it really helps new players to get money for bike, surfboard, etc). Every single item from the Prize Corner is tradeable, except for Old Amber. Why? I can't imagine this was intended.

The market for vouchers would grow even more if players could trade for Old Ambers and go for epic/shiny Aero's.

Perhaps most importantly, making it tradeable will protect players from being scammed. Currently the seller has to buy the Aero then trade it. The seller could easily just keep it because it's good, or the buyer could easily just not pay because it's bad. Fortunately this has never happened to me but I have heard many stories of this happening before. Because of this, in its current state I would never buy an "Old Amber" from another player. BUT, if the Old Amber indeed became tradeable? I would buy it and I think many other players would, too. It would be the hottest item for players to sell from the Prize Corner, by far I think. And we'd start to see more good Aero's in game, which are few and far between.

NOTE: It appears the reason this item cannot be traded/sold/held is because it is listed as a 'Quest' item. I imagine it shouldn't be difficult to move it to the 'Other' category, where the Eggs go for example.
Wrote up a formal suggestion for this one: https://playerdex.pokemon-world-online.com/suggestions.php?Rep=1434

Cleveland

Youngster
I'll add another one:

Response from @Pansy :

Hi, this has now been amended and Old Amber should be tradable after the next server restart.

You were correct in what you said about it never being moved out of the 'Quest Items'.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Kind regards

Pansy

Thanks, Pan!

Pansy

Resident Harlequin
Game Moderator
I will also note they will not show in your backpack until the server is restarted because I am incompetent.
I also amended Johto and Kanto eggs to be tradable also as they were not. I will make all these changes more clear to the public once I know the restart has happened.

Happy gaming on behalf of the PWO team ~

Last edited:

thunderclap

Youngster
I will also note they will not show in your backpack until the server is restarted because I am incompetent.
I also amended Johto and Kanto eggs to be tradable also as they were not. I will make all these changes more clear to the public once I know the restart has happened.

Happy gaming on behalf of the PWO team ~
Woohoo, thanks Pansy, you rock! Edited the OP.

Cleveland

Youngster
Got a playerdex view suggestion...

I'd like to see the name and IVs of the pokemon under "My Pokemon" instead of just a picture. This would make browsing boxes so much easier and faster instead of having to click on every individual poke to see its stats. Here's what it currently looks like:

9mL6MVh.png

What I am suggesting is to change the "My Pokemon" view to mirror what is seen when you go to sell pokes (the "Sell Pokemon" view). Here's what the "Sell Pokemon" view looks like:

PS6Sfwf.png

I imagine this would be a fairly simple change since the suggested view already exists, just in a different spot of the playerdex.

Thanks!

Suggestion link: https://playerdex.pokemon-world-online.com/suggestions.php?Rep=1442

DH94

Youngster
When picking up pokes from global link they should be going to your active box instead of 1st empty one as it makes organizing and keeping track of your pokes even harder with the current limited space.

Cleveland

Youngster
When picking up pokes from global link they should be going to your active box instead of 1st empty one as it makes organizing and keeping track of your pokes even harder with the current limited space.
Yes please!!!