Trade Evo NPC

Isguros

Youngster
I'm not sure if items that you'll need to buy will solve the issue: sure, it's fine for veteran players, but I believe new players, those who are looking for empty trades the most, will still be looking for trades as to not waste any money. I'm still leaning more to an NPC in the Union Room, since it's less convenient, and therefore doesn't require some compensation.

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
Could always go with more of a crafter's approach requiring specific components that could be dropped by any wild pokemon albeit at a low drop rate compared to usual drops or some sort of token/ticket exchange that would follow a similar principle (link tokens or something of the sort) that could be exchanged for a link cable after reaching a certain amount (only one token for the first time, 50 tokens for all subsequent times after that) instead of ingame money

That way it would still be a longer way around compared to trading but wouldn't be as convoluted in regard to its implementation

Boora

Youngster
I'l be honest,

i've read page one and some of page three, and and all i can see is both isguros and gengar dancing around the truth.

i agree with gengar on all of the point, but. and it's a huge one.

to say that the server is inactive is an understatment, and while such a suggestion is frankly laughable there might be no choice but implament it.

i'm an old player and by old i mean around 2009 old, and even for me it wont be easy to find a fellow to trade with.

back in our day, you could just go to union and press trade on someone,

nowdays first you have to make sure you arent the only one online, than pray someone you know is on, and if not, start asking random people to do you a favor.

and in my case it might be doable , but what about the people that are new/don't know english/play in timezones that they are the only 1-2 in-game ?

i hope you guys took all of that into consideration, npcs can always be removed, but sometimes adjustments have to be made to keep the game playable.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Actually, I was discussing another idea with the Staff recently: Allowing players to perform trades "offline". Something like the GTS, where people can put up a Pokémon to trade, and it gets taken from them and put onto an "offer" board. People can then search for a Pokémon they want, and put up their own Pokémon to offer in return. Then the original player can check all their offers, and if there's one they like, they can approve it, and the trade is automatically performed. I'm not sure if this is really feasible to do as an NPC script, though...

Isguros

Youngster
Actually, I was discussing another idea with the Staff recently: Allowing players to perform trades "offline". Something like the GTS, where people can put up a Pokémon to trade, and it gets taken from them and put onto an "offer" board. People can then search for a Pokémon they want, and put up their own Pokémon to offer in return. Then the original player can check all their offers, and if there's one they like, they can approve it, and the trade is automatically performed. I'm not sure if this is really feasible to do as an NPC script, though...
Ah, so basically the exact same thing as the Advert thingy, without the flaw of nothing happening?

justme1306

Youngster
hey guys
i was just curious - why pokemon that evolve by trade couldnt be adjusted to evolve when they reach a certain level instead of empty trade? it would be even easier than adding npc and would fix the problem about finding someone you know to trade with - like gastly evolve to haunter lvl 25 - haunter could evolve lvl 30/35 instead - i know its a mmorpg and the original game isnt like this they evolve but when you have low playerbase you gotta adjust the game

Last edited:

Lobonatico

OR we can go the easiest way and change the quest for "bring me a Machoke (255 happiness)" not machamp.

Trade Evolution is not a urgent matter unless it's prevent people from proceed on the game, which btw its happening right now.

ddljiiv-f8927fce-5af6-436a-9c42-11f39bc12a75.png

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Unless another Staff member wishes to chime in to correct me on this, from what I've gathered - based on my own research, and discussions with staff members more familiar with Lua and our client - it doesn't look like a Trade Evolution NPC is, at this time, within the technical capabilities of PWO. This is primarily down to two key issues: One, it isn't currently possible to script a trade directly; and two, current Lua capabilities are very limited in terms of being able to modify an already existent Pokémon. Nevertheless, we appreciate the suggestion and understand the argument for it; and we may re-explore this in the future.

Isguros

Youngster
I'm not an expert on Lua, but how come it is possible to to evolve a Pokemon by clicking on an item (evolution stone), while it's not possible to do so by interacting with an NPC, but on the other hand it's entirely possible to modify an existing Pokemon by means of a move tutor that acts exactly the same as a TM, an item you can click on?

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
I can think of a better alternative to there being a trade NPC, if I may. It likely would be much easier to implement, too.

The alternative in question would takes a page from Legends Arceus and plenty of rom hacks made over the years with the implementation of an item named Linked Cable, which could be made available at Dept. Stores (or some other more convenient location/s) and would essentially serve the same purpose of a trade evolution, including those requiring an held item (as long as said item is actually being held by the pokemon needing it to evolve obviously)

Could always go with more of a crafter's approach requiring specific components that could be dropped by any wild pokemon albeit at a low drop rate compared to usual drops or some sort of token/ticket exchange that would follow a similar principle (link tokens or something of the sort) that could be exchanged for a link cable after reaching a certain amount (only one token for the first time, 50 tokens for all subsequent times after that) instead of ingame money

That way it would still be a longer way around compared to trading but wouldn't be as convoluted in regard to its implementation

Maybe this could be worth considering as an alternative to the NPC given the limitations?