Trade Evo NPC

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
an MMO is supposed to be multiplayer; and the idea of trading is that it is an exchange between two people.
But on trade evolutions, there is no exchange. Players literally do an empty trade which means they agree to a trade of nothing, they just initiate a trade because the act of trading itself triggers the evolution of all Trade EVO Pokemon in your party.

Speaking of which, if empty trades work without actually trading anything with other players, could the same not be so for an NPC?

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
I guess we need to look into how the evolutions actually get triggered and whether it's even possible to trigger it via an NPC Script...

Klay

Youngster
Just program it so when there's only 5 players online, the Trade NPC shows up in Trade Rooms.

In this case, or when there's 10 or less players, ok
It can be useful

Mindless

Youngster
I mean, there is this guy. Just code it differently? Unsure of how easy it is to do that tho

1622839437408.png

That being said, it's not always easy to get someone to help you with a trade even when the number of online players is over 10 unless you happen to know someone.

thunderclap

Youngster
I mean, there is this guy. Just code it differently? Unsure of how easy it is to do that tho

View attachment 6545

That being said, it's not always easy to get someone to help you with a trade even when the number of online players is over 10 unless you happen to know someone.
I agree, it's not that easy. Not everyone speaks the same language, not everyone is willing or able to help.

IMO it'd be dumb to only have the NPC active if <10 players. People would spend transport tickets or walk long distances, to arrive at the PC and be denied. Would create more confusion/annoyance/complaints than it's worth. If our average server numbers ever climb back above poverty levels (30+) then it could be revisited.

Isguros

Youngster
Instead of the 'someone help evolve my machoke pls' people would say '3 people log out pls' :p... which would probably get the deed done quicker, but still.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
I just want to reiterate that this is a great suggestion, especially now that there are like a dozen more pokemon that need trade evolutions.
Yeah, and even when there are a dozen or so people online, its still really difficult at times to have somebody take the time to come do an empty trade. I've seen this myself, especially with newer players.

thunderclap

Youngster
I was thinking the easiest way to implement this would be to make the Trade NPC trigger this image as an overlay (fake trade window):

TradeSummary.png

And item check & evolution is triggered when the player clicks "Yes, I'm sure" or cancelled if they press No.

This should be easier than displaying a real trade window, and not allow players to screw up, since by skipping the previous trade window you can't add stuff - trade is always empty. It will also be a teaching aid, familiarizing players with (part of) the trade process.

Would still require a client update and a bit of coding to make the buttons work, check items and evolve though.

Doable? Easy?

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
I was thinking the easiest way to implement this would be to make the Trade NPC trigger this image as an overlay (fake trade window):

TradeSummary.png

And item check & evolution is triggered when the player clicks "Yes, I'm sure" or cancelled if they press No.

This should be easier than displaying a real trade window, and not allow players to screw up, since by skipping the previous trade window you can't add stuff - trade is always empty. It will also be a teaching aid, familiarizing players with (part of) the trade process.

Would still require a client update and a bit of coding to make the buttons work, check items and evolve though.

Doable? Easy?
Nice idea :D

Prof.Rygar

Youngster

I'd suggest using the other image of the trade with a text box over it telling players "To evolve pokemon by trading, you do not need to trade your pokemon to someone. Just start a trade, and then accept it. This is call an 'Empty Trade', and is security against pokemon theft.", and force the player to accept on the image of the 1st trade window to continue. Then move to the rest of thunder's idea.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
At the moment, I believe we don't support directly loading graphics through Lua; so even creating a "fake" trade window would likely require a new client update to support this. That said, NPCs being able to load graphics is something I'd love us to look into at some point - I myself have a few ideas for adding Game Corner style games to PWO, and they don't really work as purely textual messages ^^

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
At the moment, I believe we don't support directly loading graphics through Lua; so even creating a "fake" trade window would likely require a new client update to support this. That said, NPCs being able to load graphics is something I'd love us to look into at some point - I myself have a few ideas for adding Game Corner style games to PWO, and they don't really work as purely textual messages ^^
#BlameLua

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
So, not usually one to bump my own threads, but as often as I'm seeing players in need of a trade (including one player on the forum who is region locked because he can't get a trade evo) I can't help but wonder if such a thing would still ruin the game experience more than being completely blocked off from half the game world...

KaiReborn

Youngster
Website
theburningnotebook.tumblr.com
I can think of a better alternative to there being a trade NPC, if I may. It likely would be much easier to implement, too.

The alternative in question would takes a page from Legends Arceus and plenty of rom hacks made over the years with the implementation of an item named Linked Cable, which could be made available at Dept. Stores (or some other more convenient location/s) and would essentially serve the same purpose of a trade evolution, including those requiring an held item (as long as said item is actually being held by the pokemon needing it to evolve obviously)