Automatically re-post items for sale on Mart + other improvements.

thunderclap

Youngster
That's a super useful feature - many thanks!!! Are there any notable limitations? Ie. if I list 500 pokemon, will I be able to renew them all (assuming they don't sell), or only the newest 50 or something? I renewed several items and a few pokes I had had for sale successfully, but wasn't able to renew some of my older failed sellings, probably due to their age (from before Renew button existed).

Edit: main limitation: renew button only renews listing for 3 days

Last edited:

Krysi

Local Scapegoat
Website
anilist.co
That's a super useful feature - many thanks!!! Are there any notable limitations? Ie. if I list 500 pokemon, will I be able to renew them all (assuming they don't sell), or only the newest 50 or something? I renewed several items and a few pokes I had had for sale successfully, but wasn't able to renew some of my older failed sellings, probably due to their age (from before Renew button existed).
I don't recall there being a limit put on it, so if a limit does pop up, it may possibly be a bug. Let me know what happens.

thunderclap

Youngster
After thorough testing (just went through 24 pages of Mart Logs renewing expired listings), I can say that, while the new "Renew" feature is much appreciated and useful (saves having to remember prices, and logging in/out), it could definitely use some improvements/considerations:

Mart Logs aren't a very user-friendly place to have the Renew feature, unless Mart Logs are improved:
  • Mart Log sorting needs improvement. Things originally posted simultaneously (you can sell 6 things at once) have a random sorting order which re-randomizes when you refresh or load the next page. This means you see some things twice (things you just renewed already) and miss other things that randomly hopped to the previous page. (Mart ID# needs its own column which is sorted instead of Date).
  • Pokemon/item/purchaser names/prices (and less importantly IVs) aren't visible without clicking. Ideally each would be in its own sortable column. It's annoying and time-consuming to find a particular transaction since every click is blind.
  • Currently there is no event logged or sorting criteria for "expired" listings. You have to click everything to see if it can be renewed (see bullet #1)
  • Placement: Mart Logs are kind of hidden away and not likely to be seen/used for this purpose.

Possible other solutions:
  • Add a "renew" or "renew all" option in Global Link. Preferably the latter since Global Link is slow.
  • Using notifications with a "Renew all unsold pokemon" option. Would serve dual purpose of informing when things expire.
  • Some form of automatic re-listing (fees can be more than 10pd to dissuade spam of worthless junk).
Right now you have load hundreds of pages (if renewing in bulk), many of which for things which aren't expired yet or are things you JUST relisted (due to sorting issues). Loading up 20 tabs at a time repeatedly can't be great for the server, and eats a lot of ram in the browser. And you have to do the renewal process more than twice as often as before - 3 days renewal time isn't enough - should be at least equal to original listing time.

I'd say I've already exceeded (at 214 things currently) the practical limit of number of pokemon one can maintain on the store at one time. I was hoping to post everything in my boxes 18-36 for sale over the coming days to make some box space.

I think the rationale for these limitations seems to be preventing spam and clutter, but the mart itself has GREAT filtering and sorting functionality, so it doesn't really matter if there are thousands of things for sale at once. I think it would be a good thing personally if there were that many things. There certainly seems to be demand for even some things I considered "junk" and debated releasing -- the adage of "one man's junk" seems true here.

Guessing this is a work in progress, though, since the "Renew" button wasn't announced or even put in the changelog. Again, all these improvements are very much appreciated, and I hope these criticisms don't discourage any staffpeople in any way. I know I timed this post terribly right after Elite 4 was released.

Last edited:

Krysi

Local Scapegoat
Website
anilist.co
Hello and thank you for your feedback. This is indeed a work in progress, we wanted players to use it and give us their opinions on how we could make it better, which you have done. Don't ever hesitate to do so in regards to Playerdex as we're always looking for ways to better it and make it more user friendly. I will discuss this feedback with Lee when he's available.

As for global link being slow, that's a Playerdex issue in general. Any page with a larger amount of code will load slower. We could do some optimizing, but we're more likely going to need to upgrade the server for the site to run at ideal speeds. That will take some time to sort out, but it's already on the to do list.

thunderclap

Youngster
Any news on this? Been noticing the mart is a bit lackluster lately. I'd love to list at least 500 pokes for sale, if it was a bit easier to renew them. I love where the recent improvements are heading.. it just needs a tiny bit more tweaking and it'll be ready for primetime mass market appeal.

Isguros

Youngster
I don't think someone wanting to post 500 Pokemon up for sale, and relisting them isn't the incentive to get this thing going that you'd hoped it be.

Krysi

Local Scapegoat
Website
anilist.co
Any news on this? Been noticing the mart is a bit lackluster lately. I'd love to list at least 500 pokes for sale, if it was a bit easier to renew them. I love where the recent improvements are heading.. it just needs a tiny bit more tweaking and it'll be ready for primetime mass market appeal.
500 is a bit much, I think that number could potentially crash things if the data was sent all at once. A more reasonable number would need to be considered. We need to factor in that multiple people could be listing pokemon at once and that they can do this back to back, so it needs to be an amount that doesn't put strain on the server, either that or there's a timer between listings. You'll experience lag spikes, freezes and server crashes consistently during gaming otherwise.

As for when this will happen, we're focusing on things of higher priority currently (mainly bug fixes...and trust me when I say there's a lot of them) so I can't really give an estimate at this time, my apologies.

thunderclap

Youngster
I don't think someone wanting to post 500 Pokemon up for sale, and relisting them isn't the incentive to get this thing going that you'd hoped it be.

500 is a bit much, I think that number could potentially crash things if the data was sent all at once. A more reasonable number would need to be considered. We need to factor in that multiple people could be listing pokemon at once and that they can do this back to back, so it needs to be an amount that doesn't put strain on the server, either that or there's a timer between listings. You'll experience lag spikes, freezes and server crashes consistently during gaming otherwise.

As for when this will happen, we're focusing on things of higher priority currently (mainly bug fixes...and trust me when I say there's a lot of them) so I can't really give an estimate at this time, my apologies.
500 pokemon is a lot, you're right. I can see the concern if everyone is doing that. It'd still be a lot of work to list so many, which kind of naturally limits the spam/server impact. But might as well proactively add controls/restrictions to curb the insane few players who would post thousands for sale..

Possible controls:
1. Automatically relist (by default) with a slightly lower price each time. Player can choose to pay higher Playerdex fees for constant price.
2. Maximum duration or max number of auto-relists (~90 days total?)... after which must use "Renew" button or manually relist.
3. Max number of listings per player (could vary depending on server load / tests)

Ignoring all the complicated suggestions: can you just make the "Renew" button in Mart Logs relist things for 10 days instead of 3? That single change would make a big difference.

Thank you for your responses! I appreciate that there are multiple priorities.

Isguros

Youngster
Maybe there should be a limit on the number of Pokemon you can relist. I get that sometimes your Pokemon won't sell on the Mart, but if people try to sell most of the Pokemon they've got all at once, you can assume that the bulk of it are duplicates of a couple of species of Pokemon that had been featured in recent events that don't have particularly good IVs. Of course, you should be able to try to sell those Pokemon as well, but judging from your renewed interest in this after making plans to sell a massive amount of Pokemon, I expect you don't think they will sell, and this is all just a Hail Mary.

thunderclap

Youngster
Made a suggestion: please go upvote :) https://playerdex.pokemon-world-online.com/suggestions.php?Rep=1404

Maybe there should be a limit on the number of Pokemon you can relist. I get that sometimes your Pokemon won't sell on the Mart, but if people try to sell most of the Pokemon they've got all at once, you can assume that the bulk of it are duplicates of a couple of species of Pokemon that had been featured in recent events that don't have particularly good IVs. Of course, you should be able to try to sell those Pokemon as well, but judging from your renewed interest in this after making plans to sell a massive amount of Pokemon, I expect you don't think they will sell, and this is all just a Hail Mary.
That's how supply/demand works. If I had more Pd box space I might try to buy all those oversupplied event pokemon (Deerlings etc). Right after an event is when their price will be lowest.

It's very hard to predict which things will sell. Listing a ton of things at once is the only way to guarantee that anything will sell. Having things for sale makes it exciting to log into Playerdex --- seeing things which people bought from you, seeing new interesting things for sale you can buy, and watching your numbers rise. On the other hand, if I have hundreds of pokemon that I can't sell clogging up all my boxes and Global Link, logging into Playerdex reminds me of an unfinished chore and mess .... making it less likely for me to want to hunt for more pokemons and more mess.

If selling is easier, more people will play PWO.