Automatically re-post items for sale on Mart + other improvements.

thunderclap

Youngster
Selling has never been easier, but it's still a fairly laborious process. With the current economy on PWO, even well-priced things often fail to sell.

Currently when things fail to sell, you have to find your pokemon in Global Link, collect it, find it in your boxes, and then re-list it manually on the Mart. That includes trying to remember your asking prices all over again, unless you kept a record of those.

Just finding your pokemon after collecting can be hard. Collected pokemons from Global Link currently go to your first available box, rather than your active box. The easiest way is by logging into the game and going to a PC, because the playerdex pages are slow, and because depending on your sorting options, newest stuff won't necessarily be sorted to the end of the box on the website.

But you have to log out again to actually sell the pokemon. If you don't decide to re-sell the pokemon, you now have to re-organize your boxes. Box management is already an issue since we can't release pokemon outside the PC, but that's another topic..

Lastly, Shodan21 correctly pointed out the further problem that you can't distinguish between pokemon of the same level on the sell page. Adding the Poke ID# would help (see mockup).

That was a bit more complaining-sounding than I wanted, but hopefully you can understand the many small issues that result in a tedious selling experience, especially when dealing with high volumes of stuff.

This feature would enable more variety: people could make a 1 day sale, which relists at a discount every day. Or a negative number could be input, to raise the price, if it's a highly sought after pokemon/item. It would also make it easier for new players to figure out what their stuff is worth. This feature would avoid ever having to collect/find/relist your pokemons again.

The end result would be many more people using the Mart, and hopefully an upturn in the economy. I think half the reason pokemon prices have crashed so dramatically is because people want to ensure things sell the first time, so they don't have to bother re-listing them. I've got 13 pages of stuff in my Global Link box that I want to sell, plus tons in-game, but it's a lot of work to re-list when only about 10% usually sells.

Quick mock-up:

re-sell.png

To summarize, this is actually 4 suggestions:
Add an option to automatically re-post items for sale on Mart.
2. Make Global Link's collect feature send pokemon to your active box, not the first available box.
3. Add the Pokemon ID number to the sell page.
4. Individual quick sorting options for Release Box, Global Link, and your actual boxes (it's most useful to sort Released by National Dex ID, but boxes by Position).
5. (Bonus suggestion) Allow releasing pokemon outside of the PC!

Note: I personally think the Playerdex is amazing, and is by far the best thing about PWO. This would just bring it another step closer to perfection.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
Nice idea, my only complaint is that I don't have a complaint about this suggestion p_p

XD

DH94

Youngster
Agree 100%...Reposting pokes takes forever-looking for the correct pokemon, figuring out its value again and posting it is way too time consuming...
Collecting unsold pokes from global link is simply annoying. Again great suggestion!

shodan21

Youngster
see also
and further

thundie trying to steal all my credit ;)

oh and better solution for the point about releasing unreg'd pokes in that second suggestion thread: automagically register them on release so they are properly sent to the release box.

thunderclap

Youngster
see also
and further

thundie trying to steal all my credit ;)

oh and better solution for the point about releasing unreg'd pokes in that second suggestion thread: automagically register them on release so they are properly sent to the release box.
I notice that "release anywhere" suggestion was declined. If the text command is too buggy/not feasible, just let us bring up the PC screen anywhere to access our boxes (and Release button). Technological advancement in the PWO universe should allow mobile phones to have access, no problem for Lore.

It would be awesome to be able to hunt for IVs without creating a huge daunting mess for yourself later.

Last edited:

shodan21

Youngster
I notice that "release anywhere" suggestion was declined. If the text command is too buggy/not feasible, just let us bring up the PC screen anywhere to access our boxes (and Release button). Technological advancement in the PWO universe should allow mobile phones to have access, no problem for Lore.

It would be awesome to be able to hunt for IVs without creating a huge daunting mess for yourself later.

nah, just need to have the release button always on the poke action menu. you can actually release pokes from the PC interface that dont yet have an ID, and that works just fine, so really there shouldnt be any technical issue with permitting universal release - everything should already be implemented, its just a matter of location permission. note also that the /release command works away from the PC interface as well - just not outside a pokecenter.

so yeah, its literally all there already.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
The decision to only allow releasing in a Pokécenter was a deliberate choice, and will not be reversed. Up to around the 1.0 release of PWO, it was in fact possible to release Pokémon anywhere on the map. There are several reasons why this got changed to the current system of only being allowed in a Pokécenter, but a major reason was to get around a desync bug between the client and server where the wrong Pokémon could be released if a Pokémon suffers a change in between execution of the command, for example because a battle triggered. In the Pokécenter, this isn't possible; and the only changes that can be done to a Pokémon (healing, moving to box / swapping position) require the user to initiate first. There was also an element of "keeping true to the original game mechanics" in play.

thunderclap

Youngster
The decision to only allow releasing in a Pokécenter was a deliberate choice, and will not be reversed. Up to around the 1.0 release of PWO, it was in fact possible to release Pokémon anywhere on the map. There are several reasons why this got changed to the current system of only being allowed in a Pokécenter, but a major reason was to get around a desync bug between the client and server where the wrong Pokémon could be released if a Pokémon suffers a change in between execution of the command, for example because a battle triggered. In the Pokécenter, this isn't possible; and the only changes that can be done to a Pokémon (healing, moving to box / swapping position) require the user to initiate first. There was also an element of "keeping true to the original game mechanics" in play.
Is it not possible to fix the desync bug, since it's well understood? Or make another workaround like, as Shodan suggested, only allow releasing pokemon once they've been assigned an ID? It is a serious pain in the butt not being able to release stuff outside the PC. Anything that could be done to allow releasing outside the PC would be well worth the effort, IMO.

I think "keeping true" isn't a great reason since people don't need to catch dozens/hundreds of a single pokemon in the handhelds to get one with good IVs. If you asked players literally nobody would vote for keeping true in this case. I really hope you will reconsider this, even though you've said no... there must be a workaround. Anything that's released is still retrievable from release boxes btw, and we're all beta testers anyway :)

Isguros

Youngster
I haven't made much use of the Mart/Global Link myself, so I can't say I've been bothered by these inconveniences too much, but I can imagine that it can be really annoying when you do frequently post Pokemon on there. So fixing the problem I can get behind, but ,like always, the idea that follows up on it leaves me a tat bit more than slightly puzzled:
  • Will it automatically re-list your Pokemon more than once?
  • Wouldn't that potentially hurt the seller if the Pokemon ended up selling for less than they thought it would?
  • Is it possible to set the discount to 0%?
  • Wouldn't that clog up the Mart with Pokemon that aren't being sold?

Even though I know that complaining about and trying to poke holes in others' ideas is what I do (best), it usually doesn't do anything to help solve the issues at hand, so if you're still reading and are interested in my two cents, then here are some suggestions about this matter of my own:
  1. Allow the player to select the preferred destination of the selected Pokemon on the Action Bracket menu in the Global Link.
    Giving players the option to put their Pokemon in their active box, or even allowing them to put it back on the Mart straightaway (if such a thing is feasible), could probably make a lot of difference.
  2. Make the Pokemon/ID numbers listed on the Collection Status screen into a hyperlink to that Pokemon.
    This would make finding your Pokemon a whole lot easier.

thunderclap

Youngster
  • Wouldn't that potentially hurt the seller if the Pokemon ended up selling for less than they thought it would?
That's a good point. As envisioned it would automatically re-list an infinite number of times until sold. I guess that could be a problem, even though the seller always has the option to remove their pokemon from the mart and re-list it at a different price.

Perhaps another option to specify how many times to relist would be good. A maximum 10 relists at 7 days each should be more than enough, and the seller deserves to have to manually relist it if they priced things so outrageously they didn't sell after 70 days.

As envisioned, yes, you could set to 0% or even negative numbers for increasing price. Maybe the listing/re-listing fee should be affected by the discount offered -- cheaper if you re-list with a discount.

I'm not too worried about pokemon clogging up the mart. I would like as much selection and competition as possible. There are already powerful filters one can use to find exactly the pokemon they want to buy. However a good way to reduce clutter and oversupply would be a Pokemon Adoption NPC that gives players some kind of reward for surrendering unwanted pokemon.

Even though I know that complaining about and trying to poke holes in others' ideas is what I do (best), it usually doesn't do anything to help solve the issues at hand, so if you're still reading and are interested in my two cents, then here are some suggestions about this matter of my own:
  1. Allow the player to select the preferred destination of the selected Pokemon on the Action Bracket menu in the Global Link.
    Giving players the option to put their Pokemon in their active box, or even allowing them to put it back on the Mart straightaway (if such a thing is feasible), could probably make a lot of difference.
  2. Make the Pokemon/ID numbers listed on the Collection Status screen into a hyperlink to that Pokemon.
    This would make finding your Pokemon a whole lot easier.
These are both good suggestions, if they are feasible. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

shodan21

Youngster

this is where my version of the suggestion is better - instead of the relist happening automatically, the offer expires as normal - but rather than going to global link to be collected, there would be a page available with relist options. could make sense as a third option on global link (so, transfer, collect, relist), which would provide a view of all the expired mart sales with options to either collect them or relist them.

thunderclap

Youngster
this is where my version of the suggestion is better - instead of the relist happening automatically, the offer expires as normal - but rather than going to global link to be collected, there would be a page available with relist options. could make sense as a third option on global link (so, transfer, collect, relist), which would provide a view of all the expired mart sales with options to either collect them or relist them.
I disagree .. if I take the time to list 300 pokemon on the mart, I don't want to deal with them again 7 days later. Especially since those will be spread across like 15 pages of slow Global Link style pages. Your idea would be good too, but automatic is better.

shodan21

Youngster
I disagree .. if I take the time to list 300 pokemon on the mart, I don't want to deal with them again 7 days later. Especially since those will be spread across like 15 pages of slow Global Link style pages. Your idea would be good too, but automatic is better.
the dealing youd need to do would be significantly less, though, since it should default to exactly what you had before.

also, as part of this, remove the stupid 6-poke limitation on posting to the mart. thats half of why people spam the main playerdex page, because the system forces them to chunk up adding to the mart into batches of 6 or less.

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
How about a separate box in the playerdex called mart or w/e. You would have a dropdown to add pokes to this box with a follow up page to set prices. The box can have a monthly fee or capacity fee. Also it should have a cap so it doesn't get flooded.

thunderclap

Youngster
How about a separate box in the playerdex called mart or w/e. You would have a dropdown to add pokes to this box with a follow up page to set prices. The box can have a monthly fee or capacity fee. Also it should have a cap so it doesn't get flooded.
There is already a separate box called PokeMart on the 'My Pokemon' page, but it's only for viewing your Mart pokemon. You can't see prices or IVs without clicking, or transfer things easily like regular boxes. It's far less functional than the My Mart page so I don't know why staff would spend the time updating it or abandoning the "action basket" system in favour of dropdowns or whatever.

.mypokes.png

Sidenote: It does tell us that internally, the game probably treats Mart/Released/Global Link pokemon boxes just like ordinary boxes. So theoretically, it's possible in a future client rewrite (with room for additional buttons) that we could interact with those pokemons without the website. Making possible such things as advertising our Mart pokemon in-game with clickable hyperlinks. Or directly accessing/trading them without logging out and collecting with Global Link. Or viewing other players' boxes/marts, if they allow. Not that there's much need for those things.

Maybe you could explain your idea better Ramens? One box seems too restrictive. The only benefits I can see is that your dropdown suggestion removes the limitation of selling max 6 pokes at once, and allows long-term listings and new fees. There are easier ways to fix those problems. They can easily just remove the artificial max 6 poke limit and 7 day max listing time restrictions.

I still like my automatic relisting suggestion best since it lets you input an automatic discount..

Last edited:

thunderclap

Youngster
Just noticed the Renew button in Mart Log to re-list things for sale that didn't sell. Is this new? If so, thank you staff!!