Sad Picture

shodan21

Youngster
Indeed. If anything, I'd say that the comments made here show extreme naivete when recent events are considered - and there is a lot more coming that we hope to reveal soon enough.
to be fair, we hear that line all the time, and yet here we are.

also, hi saric! :eek:

Rigaudon

Youngster
The game came out in late 2008. It is over 10 years old, was made by volunteers, many of them minors. Of those that weren't minors, many of them did not have any experience with game design, even when it came to critical areas like programing. PWO was one of the first games of its kind and as such had no previous references to work off of. All the errors and successes born from this game have been original. Many other fan MMOs have come and gone (or been born and remain) since; a lot of their own foundations were built off of a study or reaction from this game. When PWO came out, youtube videos had to be less than 10 minutes long and 240p quality. League of Legends wouldn't be out for almost a year.

All good things come to an end. The fact it has survived until now, and in its history had thrived extremely well for several years, is a testament to the people who have loved this game, played this game, and worked on it.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
The game came out in late 2008. It is over 10 years old, was made by volunteers, many of them minors. Of those that weren't minors, many of them did not have any experience with game design, even when it came to critical areas like programing. PWO was one of the first games of its kind and as such had no previous references to work off of. All the errors and successes born from this game have been original. ... The fact it has survived until now, and in its history had thrived extremely well for several years, is a testament to the people who have loved this game, played this game, and worked on it.
Indeed. PWO owes a lot to its community past and present - we would never have been anything if not for all of you; and it's because of you that many of us have stuck around for so long.

to be fair, we hear that line all the time, and yet here we are.
I understand your viewpoint here, and sympathise with your scepticism. While I can assure everyone that the current PWO team have never once stopped working on PWO, it has to be said that manpower and resources have been a chronic problem for us and have led us to miss targets or fall short of even our own expectations many a time, even to the extent that plans have been scrapped or changed mid-flight. Thankfully this situation is beginning to improve. The addition of Belemuel and Sorey to the team this year has given us renewed energy and additional manpower to work on various new scripts and feature possibilities, and has allowed us to restart work on a long-term content plan for PWO. In addition, I can reveal some of our longer term Staff members are turning their hand to new skills and expanding their abilities with the aim of making changes to PWO that previously seemed outside of their scope. I hope that you will soon be able to see exactly what I mean; until then, I can only ask for patience and understanding.

shodan21

Youngster
Indeed. PWO owes a lot to its community past and present - we would never have been anything if not for all of you; and it's because of you that many of us have stuck around for so long.

I understand your viewpoint here, and sympathise with your scepticism. While I can assure everyone that the current PWO team have never once stopped working on PWO, it has to be said that manpower and resources have been a chronic problem for us and have led us to miss targets or fall short of even our own expectations many a time, even to the extent that plans have been scrapped or changed mid-flight. Thankfully this situation is beginning to improve. The addition of Belemuel and Sorey to the team this year has given us renewed energy and additional manpower to work on various new scripts and feature possibilities, and has allowed us to restart work on a long-term content plan for PWO. In addition, I can reveal some of our longer term Staff members are turning their hand to new skills and expanding their abilities with the aim of making changes to PWO that previously seemed outside of their scope. I hope that you will soon be able to see exactly what I mean; until then, I can only ask for patience and understanding.

optimism is always good, and i do think what we've been seeing from staff lately gives reason to be optimistic. but, of course, that has to be tempered with exactly what i noted (in defense of Saric's post, which was the entire reason for my comment) - we've heard all of this before, and it has yet to pan out. so, cautious optimism.

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
I hope that you will soon be able to see exactly what I mean; until then, I can only ask for patience and understanding.

I'm a loud, opinionated, boat rocker, lol, but I do have patience. I've had patience with this game for several years, so if it seems like I am impatient, I'm really not. It's just that I've already gone through my supply of patience. People accuse me of having a short fuse, but they fail to realize that it's been burning for ages.

I'm still waiting for relatively "small things" to get fixed, like Focus Punch and Stealth Rock since these are 2 important battle moves, and adding Struggle Bug onto Shuckle if it's not broken which I hear it isn't.

The fact that even a small thing like fixing battle mech is just sitting there gathering dust doesn't inspire confidence.

In spite of such things though, my patience gets renewed from time to time, and adding a new staff member is one of those things. I'm willing to give it a moment to see what new staff (or even old staff learning new tricks) can do. Take your time, but hurry up about it! :p

Last edited:

Redwaller66

What is wrong with Stealth Rock? I see the power of focus punch is 50 instead of 150, so I can see that move is broken. I have heard of your quest to get struggle bug onto shuckle. Why indeed are these things not fixed/ added? XD

shodan21

Youngster
What is wrong with Stealth Rock? I see the power of focus punch is 50 instead of 150, so I can see that move is broken. I have heard of your quest to get struggle bug onto shuckle. Why indeed are these things not fixed/ added? XD

the power isnt why focus punch is broken - its supposed to be a two-step move, but the way its implemented, its a two-turn move. its supposed to work as increased priority for "tightening focus", then decreased priority on the same turn for dealing damage, with taking damage in between interrupting it. however, here, its implemented as two turns, so the opponent not only has two chances to deal damage and interrupt it, but is also given advance notice of the action and can choose a move accordingly.

also, iirc stealth rock is broken only in the sense that it matters to a team of shedinja - and that's not really stealth rock specifically thats broken, but the turn system itself (spikes would have the same problem, i believe). basically, pwo doesnt allow a cascade of faints on switch-in from hazards, as shown in this showdown battle i tested with (note that everything in there happens on turn 1 - pwo doesnt do this):

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8anythinggoes-1173745767-4t2qs22afrctemslenrlpzsgdpp5anqpw

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
stealth rock is broken only in the sense that it matters to a team of shedinja - and that's not really stealth rock specifically thats broken, but the turn system itself
As a Charizard fan, I vote we just remove SR from PWO and act like it doesn't exist :D
XD

Prof.Rygar

Youngster
that's not really stealth rock specifically thats broken, but the turn system itself (spikes would have the same problem, i believe)

Yes. The game fails the check if a pokemon switches in and then faints to Entry Hazards and doesn't remove the fainted pokemon until you take an action, either attacking, or switching pokemon.

Ah, I remember us talking about this, and then you went off to make that video to verify I was correct on the matter. lol Thanks again. Nice proof.

And yep, Focus Punch is broken exactly that way.

@Redwaller66 Who's that you linked to?

shodan21

Youngster
Yes. The game fails the check if a pokemon switches in and then faints to Entry Hazards and doesn't remove the fainted pokemon until you take an action, either attacking, or switching pokemon.

similar i imagine to the glitches when pokes faint on switch moves (u-turn, etc.)

@Redwaller66 Who's that you linked to?

that would be not-Sorey. or Sorey for people who can't spell Sorey.

thunderclap

Youngster
Happy birthday @Saric !

Many of the topics in this thread, good and bad, are still relevant so, combined with your birthday, I saw fit to bump it. The situation shared in the OP's screenshot happened to me the other night. However, I still believe there is good reason to be optimistic about the state of PWO. I'd wager even more now than when this thread was made. Definitely missing some of the names I'm reading in here though.

Emilly

Principalmente porque # 1: este jogo é quase impossível de jogar e chegar a qualquer lugar. # 2: O modo de história SUGA. Ele precisa de uma atualização, e eu sei exatamente o que tornaria este jogo extremamente divertido de jogar e levaria as pessoas a ficarem mais tempo. O modo história leva apenas algumas horas para ser concluído, então os jogadores não veem sentido em ficar. Eu concordo até certo ponto. É preciso haver mais conteúdo para um jogador e mais conteúdo para vários jogadores.

Principalmente porque # 1: este jogo é quase impossível de jogar e chegar a qualquer lugar. # 2: O modo de história SUGA. Ele precisa de uma atualização, e eu sei exatamente o que tornaria este jogo extremamente divertido de jogar e levaria as pessoas a ficarem mais tempo. O modo história leva apenas algumas horas para ser concluído, então os jogadores não veem sentido em ficar. Eu concordo até certo ponto. É preciso haver mais conteúdo para um jogador e mais conteúdo para vários jogadores.
Acredito que a demora em encontrar um bom pokemon nos frustra como "caçadores". Por exemplo, eu estava tentando pegar um bom dratini no safari, joguei mais de 50 safáris (cerca de 11 horas) e nenhum veio. Quando temos "sorte" de aparecer um, ele vem em mau estado e desencoraja recomeçar tudo de novo até encontrar outro... Recente chegará a um Bagon, na esperança de conseguir um 20+ mas já joguei 50 horas e nenhum conseguiu apareceu desencorajando a nós caçadores. Tendo em conta que todos jogamos atrás de todos nós jogamos e consequentemente tínhamos mais anos para isso e horas e horas caçando Pokémon HR e jogando atrás de Pokémon HR, não nos importamos muito com todos nós. achar. Não somos mais aqueles que os jovens de 10 ou 15 anos atrás (como eu que tive minha primeira conta mais conta hoje em 2008) agora são mais adultos, a gente casa, filhos, ou seja, somos responsabilidades e é por isso que hoje não somos mais ficamos hoje antes . Não sei qual é a opinião de outros jogadores mais velhos, mas eu acharia muito bom se esse atraso fosse um pouco maior para eu não perder a vontade de caçar. Quem caça pokemon t4 ou t5 sabe o quanto é frustrante passar mais de 50 horas e não ser recompensado por um pokemon que você procura.

Emilly

What I *Don't* want is a duplicate of the official games. That is literally "unoriginal", and if I want that I can just play the official games. That's a part of why new players quit.

This is not how an MMORPG Pokemon game should play. We should be allowed free roam, to go where we want, when we want. But what happens is we have to follow an extremely linear story line that constantly blocks off routes to new areas until we do some mundane, boring story stuff.

The Gyms need to be entirely revamped. I already have the blue prints on who to change the gyms to make them more MMO story based and it would take 100s of hours to complete. But, there would also be swarms, events, and side quests that would distract the player, so players would end up with 1000s of hours of game play before actually completing the story.

Haveria 1 Ginásio de cada Tipo. Você poderia entrar em um ginásio, e eles lhe dariam um iniciante daquele tipo de ginásio, e você poderia ter acesso a campos de caça especiais para pokemon desse tipo para preencher sua equipe. Então, você *DEFENDE* o GYM, não o ataca para ganhar Rep suficiente naquele ginásio para ser considerado um Senior Member. Quando você alcança uma classificação alta, você pode atacar outros ginásios, e depois de derrotar todos os outros ginásios, você pode desafiar o líder de seu ginásio, que terá uma equipe completa de nível 100. Depois de ter feito TUDO isso, ENTÃO você recebe o emblema da academia.

Apenas para iniciantes. Além disso, haveria coisas do tipo side quest que permitiriam que você conseguisse empregos, como Ranger, ou PKMN Breeder, Pokemon Scout, Picnicker, Scientist, Expert, etc. e mudaria seu sprite adequadamente.

Os eventos podem ser coisas enormes que podem ser coisas como combater um incêndio florestal. Reunindo os jogadores em um local onde todos eles têm pokemon do tipo água e estão todos usando Squirt Gun e o mapa muda do mapa do incêndio florestal para o mapa após o fogo, e eventualmente volta para um mapa normal. Tais desastres afetariam os spawns de pokemon. E depois de um desastre natural, os pokemon rangers precisariam reabastecer os estoques de pokemon, e eles teriam que obter o pokemon de criadores. E toda a comunidade teria que trabalhar em conjunto para conseguir a reconstrução dos habitats naturais.

Eu acredito que tudo isso e muito mais é possível, dada a tecnologia atual e algumas atualizações.
Muito boa ideia das academias serem mais longas para iniciantes

Cleveland

Youngster
I too have been hunting Dratini in Safari and the results have been extremely discouraging. Its been well over 30 hours since I last saw one. Additionally, I haven't seen a single shiny since the last swarm in probably 50 or so hours. After last night I've basically been broken (again).

To put it bluntly: hunting outside of events/swarms is, essentially, a waste of time. Especially if you are looking at it purely from a value perspective. And it has been that way for years now and is a major reason for the low playerbase outside of events.

Swarms have been a welcome addition (and are much appreciated), but even those have been infrequent enough to maintain a healthy active playerbase.

My two cents: Outside of new content being delivered (very excited for Sevii), we need more frequent swarms, or even something like a "happy hour" or "happy day" or "happy weekend" where a certain poke(s) are available at a lower tier (can even be on their typical map) for a certain amount of time to give players an incentive to play.

In short, the core game has been stuck in its same state for too long to keep players interested. Elite 4 was a fantastic addition, but even that was almost 2 years ago now; some players have already defeated them thousands of times.

All that said, I'm still excited about the future for PWO and have really enjoyed the recent events & swarms. We're just currently in one of those rough periods between events/swarms and it's an unfortunate spot to be in.

Emilly

I too have been hunting Dratini in Safari and the results have been extremely discouraging. Its been well over 30 hours since I last saw one. Additionally, I haven't seen a single shiny since the last swarm in probably 50 or so hours. After last night I've basically been broken (again).

To put it bluntly: hunting outside of events/swarms is, essentially, a waste of time. Especially if you are looking at it purely from a value perspective. And it has been that way for years now and is a major reason for the low playerbase outside of events.

Swarms have been a welcome addition (and are much appreciated), but even those have been infrequent enough to maintain a healthy active playerbase.

Meus dois centavos: Fora do novo conteúdo sendo entregue (muito animado para o Sevii), precisamos de enxames mais frequentes, ou mesmo algo como um "happy hour" ou "happy day" ou "happy week" onde um certo poke(s) está disponível em um nível inferior (pode até estar em seu mapa típico) por um determinado período de tempo para dar aos jogadores um incentivo para jogar.

Em suma, o jogo principal ficou preso no mesmo estado por muito tempo para manter os jogadores interessados. Elite 4 foi uma adição fantástica, mas mesmo isso foi há quase 2 anos; alguns jogadores já os derrotaram milhares de vezes.

Dito isso, ainda estou empolgado com o futuro do PWO e gostei muito dos recentes eventos e enxames. Estamos atualmente em um desses períodos difíceis entre eventos / enxames e é um local infeliz para se estar.
Certamente é muito desanimador passar tantas horas dedicadas ao jogo (desistir muitas vezes para estar com a família) e ser pouco recompensado por isso. Eu sei que alguns pokes têm seus valores e devem ser mais difíceis de encontrar, mas 30, 40 ou 50 horas para encontrar um T4 é muito desanimador. Veja o que você pode melhorar nisso. De repente estudando para diminuir um pouco mais esse tempo e incentivar os jogadores a caçar com mais felicidade.