Addressed to old players

Towel

Youngster
Disclaimer: this post does not target all old players. It's about positivity vs negativity.

For awhile now, old players log in from time to time for what seems to be solely to bash the game. Saying the game is dead, the economy is dead, and then leave after five minutes. Many do that, resulting in roughly one person a day logging in for that purpose. My point? Picture this: you're a new player today, casually playing, much like you did many years ago. Then you see, for a few days in a row, people logging in to bash the game, saying it's dead. Do you feel like staying or investing any time? Of course not, who would? So they leave. Positivity attracts people. Negativity drives them away. In the past week, I've seen a bit less people logging in to bash the game, and I've seen the online list get a little bigger, and seeing many more new names in the all channel talking to us. I don't think it's a coincidence (although it might be, I don't know everything, I'm not Towel Jesus). 

I can now hear you in my head: ''But there is nothing to do, no new content or maps blah blah blah''. Yes, for you there isn't, but for new players it doesn't matter, the content is  new to them. Before you felt this way, you logged in many thousands of hours, didn't you? For those many thousands of hours, you had something to do, the maps were still fun because you still had somehting to hunt. Well now the new players log in for 20 hours, they see you idiots saying this, and not knowing you have thousands of hours, think there is nothing to this game and leave. Do you understand how you people are extremly counter productive? I even will go so far as to say you are a big reason why the playerbase has reduced so much (again, I may be wrong, but either way, it plays a part I'm sure). 

If new players see the positive community I see and work hard to maintain when they log in, they surely will want to stay. Please help us bring positivity in the public chats and in turn entice the new players in staying. I know it works. I'm not asking you to be like me, I'm simply asking you to realise how your negativity affects the playerbase, and make an effort into reducing it. You are free to make a private channel to complain though. Thank you for understanding, and I hope you will take this into consideration.

Klay

Youngster
He's blaming you, justme.even if we love when you complain *3*

justme1306

Youngster
lol i wish he would blame me for real but i dont think it was for me
i think (maybe im wrong) people do that cause they loved this game and its really sad to see what the game become - but for me i dont think im bashing on the game - before yes and for good reasons - but now im not anymore im looking what happen to the game but for me its dead - if u play it and u dont think its dead...good for you and have fun i wish nothing but the best to the game but for me except for events(and maybe) i cant play this anymore - so like i said...some bashing to annoying people and some are bashing for changes but after years they should know its waste of time

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
[Glow=#9932CC]I side with Towel on this matter. This negative mindset permeating the game right now reminds me of anti-vaxxers and other such groups. It is impossible for a doctor to make a patient well if the patient believes it is "not in his best interests" to allow them to do their job; and making others believe that their efforts are useless only serves to cause more harm in the long run.

The fact of the matter is, we are here to serve you. Large-scale content updates continue to be worked on; we simply don't believe any more in making small movements that are good for cheap thrills but don't actually contribute anything in the long run. Additionally, we are taking into account player feedback and trying to find working solutions for the most commonly cited issues such as the imbalanced economy, but it is not an easy task.
[/Glow]

justme1306

Youngster
wow when i read stuff like this i feel like...we are so lucky to have you jinji - thanks for youre hard work on this game..

Towel

Youngster
Jinji said:
[Glow=#9932CC]
The fact of the matter is, we are here to serve you. Large-scale content updates continue to be worked on; we simply don't believe any more in making small movements that are good for cheap thrills but don't actually contribute anything in the long run. Additionally, we are taking into account player feedback and trying to find working solutions for the most commonly cited issues such as the imbalanced economy, but it is not an easy task.
[/Glow]

I hope you guys know Jinji that many of us are still here to support you guys as much as players can, and that we do our very best to keep the community positive and growing. We are also patient and understanding of the fact you are a very small  content staff currently. Keep up the good work, and remember we appreciate everything you guys do! :)

justme1306 said:

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular. I wouldn't put you in this category anymore, but I'm not gonna lie, a few months ago I would've. =p But it really isn't aimed at anyone in particular, neither did I have names in mind while writting this. It has been a growing trend.

Ramensnoodle

Youngster
justme1306 said:
i think (maybe im wrong) people do that cause they loved this game and its really sad to see what the game become 

This is the line they like to use but its never the real reason imo. For one its they don't like seeing a game they don't play still alive for w/e reason or old players with wealth that means nothing anymore. Another is usually anger from spending time in a game that didn't progress to their liking. I have seen this in multiple games with small communities that I've played over the years and its all the same and gets really annoying to see.

Shiny!Midou~

Youngster
hmm i had this idea in like 1 year ago thank you for doing this post towel :p .
well the game is dead for them and do we care ? no we don't . we don't ever care aout their existence they are just noobs ;) also u don't have to blame the old players only in this matter u need to make new players understand something to make the game get bigger , they need to know that any game have down times and by seeing a game that run into 11 years that's kind of great work for the staff along side with that almost all players who say " game dead " are just noobs who want to discourage players in playing into it and spending time in it but in the other side new players need to know that the game was most likely dead until lua update came the game got a lot of updates ( staff things to help them making contents/events ) so the game may be dead for those old players cause they didn't saw how the game became , the game used to be plein of glitches back in their time and sooo many of them had hacked the game but they can't do that anymore that make them feel dissapointment for their time .
THE GAME IS PRETTY MUCH SOOO ALIVE

thunderclap

Youngster
Jinji said:
[Glow=#9932CC]I side with Towel on this matter. This negative mindset permeating the game right now reminds me of anti-vaxxers and other such groups. It is impossible for a doctor to make a patient well if the patient believes it is "not in his best interests" to allow them to do their job; and making others believe that their efforts are useless only serves to cause more harm in the long run.

[/Glow]
<3 Thanks for this post. I've been a complainer at times in the past. Sometimes I just wanted to know that there's someone on the project who still cares.

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
justme1306 said:
i think (maybe im wrong) people do that cause they loved this game and its really sad to see what the game become - but for me i dont think im bashing on the game - before yes and for good reasons - but now im not anymore im looking what happen to the game but for me its dead - if u play it and u dont think its dead...good for you and have fun i wish nothing but the best to the game but for me except for events(and maybe) i cant play this anymore - so like i said...some bashing to annoying people and some are bashing for changes but after years they should know its waste of time

Kind of a bad mindset to have imo, if people actually loved the game they would not log on just to say the game is dead. If people did truly love the game they would try to help the game. (btw not bashing you justy, just using your quote for an example) These older players have tons of amazing pokemon and money that they could put back into the game to help keep it alive but they dont, they are selfish players who just look to be spiteful and laugh as the game tries to carry on. Its like watching somebody trying to rebuild their house after a disaster and people just come by and say "Ha! Your house is broken!" and proceed to knock out another window with their thrown stones. As somebody who had his fair share of frustrations with the game I now how it can be, but coming on constantly just to bash the game in front of what few players remain and potentially deterring new players before they even get started is killing the game.

I had my falling out with PWO and thought I would never return but when I realized that many of the friends I had made still kept in contact with me I understood how special this game truly is. This is not the best pokemon game, but it damn sure has the best community and we are all like a close knit family. This is the kind of game for me, its why I am back because some of the people I met on here have become some of the most special and important people in my life. If not for this game I would not have met these people. Its why I am back with a new mindset of trying to do all I can to help this game, to keep it alive and enjoyable so other people in the future can have the same opportunity I have to make friendships that are more vast then any distance between any two points in this world.

Jinji

PWO's Resident Gengar
Staff member
Administrator
Website
jinji.gamescodex.net
Truthfully, in my darkest moments - when I felt like giving up on everything - it was being part of a great community that kept me here :)

Jobey

Jr. Trainer
Midou said:
Jobey said:
justme1306 said:
 we are all like a close knit family. 

hi my noob father hhhhhh

That's right and you best not forget it :p

Jinji said:
Truthfully, in my darkest moments - when I felt like giving up on everything - it was being part of a great community that kept me here :)

Just proof of how truly special this game is :)

HitmonFonty

Youngster
Game Moderator
This has always been an issue but it tends to come in waves for some reason. Maybe it's seasonal when players have more time to visit old haunts or whatever while their new games are currently too boring to play as well. ;) I've always thought the best way to handle it is to fight the negativity with positivity- so if they say there's been no new content in x months or years tell them exactly what is new, and if they are just randomly bashing the game just pipe in and say what you are loving about the game. :) Quite often if one person sticks up for the game others will join you so their negativity won't have as much impact (potentially) on new players as it otherwise might have.

Everyone deserves a chance to try the game for themselves without being bombarded will ill feelings from those who've already had their fun with it and moved on.

Gattaca

"The feelings that hurt most, the emotions that sting most, are those that are absurd - The longing for impossible things, precisely because they are impossible; nostalgia for what never was; the desire for what could have been; regret over not being someone else; dissatisfaction with the world's existence. All these half-tones of the soul's consciousness create in us a painful landscape, an eternal sunset of what we are."

Hope that helps

Gattaca

I miss MasterOfMuppets or Puppets... I never remember his nickname

Boora

Youngster
This has always been an issue but it tends to come in waves for some reason. Maybe it's seasonal when players have more time to visit old haunts or whatever while their new games are currently too boring to play as well. ;) I've always thought the best way to handle it is to fight the negativity with positivity- so if they say there's been no new content in x months or years tell them exactly what is new, and if they are just randomly bashing the game just pipe in and say what you are loving about the game. :) Quite often if one person sticks up for the game others will join you so their negativity won't have as much impact (potentially) on new players as it otherwise might have.

Everyone deserves a chance to try the game for themselves without being bombarded will ill feelings from those who've already had their fun with it and moved on.
This.
Few days ago i was talking to a player and was asked about why some pokes don't sell or the prices are high etc, just random talk, and to reply i said it's because the game is dead, i mispoke, i should've said, the game isn't as active as it once was,
to my surprise people who i actually looked up to and still do in this community literally started fighting with me over what i said,
i tried to argue back because it's my nature (sometimes gets me into trouble)
they didn't care that i was stating facts, it was all about "shut up so new players don't hear you and leave" or "than leave if it's dead"
Sure, i get what they're trying todo and to some extant they do have a point, but forcefully censoring me and making me walk on eggshells around new players is not okay.

What you're doing is good, how you're doing it is awful, even in the thread you're calling old players idiots, players who spent thousands of hours on this game, helpt build it up, apart of this community, made life long friends.
There's a difference like fonty said, you can just log in and bash the **** out of the game and log out just for ****s and iggles, or you can be upset, like actually sad, the old idiots, most of them spent over 8 years in this game off and on, made friends, built a community loved the game, and when they log on and there are sub 20 people online, they're frasutated,
does that mean they have anything bad to say about the staff? no
does that mean they should just have never came back? no,
It doesn't matter, they're allowed to express how they feel, and should be pointed to the new stuff that is in-game and to the current community
just like you told me about your events, and about how we have around 60 concurrent players now, and about this insanly good xmas event, and in general about the good things about the game
We as old players who just came back or visiting shouldn't walk on eggshells around new players.
If X who just came back after 2 years, logs on and sees there are 5 online, and last time he was on there were 200+, he's going to assume it's dead/dying/unpopulated/2018 can't say anything without offeding someone.
pm X, tell him him why it isn't, don't call him an idiot and tell him to leave, he has no idea what's going on.

3 am, tired probably shoud'nt have posted but oh well, will fix tomorrow if i messed it up too much

Saric

Youngster
People new and old are never going to be happy with all aspects of the game. You have the old people who want the old population back and are unhappy on that front, you have the new people coming in who are unhappy and straight up leave over lack of content, mechanics, etc.

People coming in just to complain or moan grates on people after a while, especially considering it's usually the same old people who do it over and over. I don't straight up condone people who go all out with arguments and bashing, etc. But everyone in the matter has a point. Community-wise, the game is more or less dead. You can fight me on this. The current community albeit pleasant, is small, and overall filled with the same people. While this can be nice at its core, it kills the market and battling aspects of the game when it's filled with the same people recycling the same stuff.

It picks up during events, yes, but quickly dies off. The old players have a point in this specifically.

The "New" people however, see the same people coming in and out using the same spiel. The game is dead, it was better than it once was, etc. This gets grating on the "New" people of now. Usually it's people who come in and just keep arguing and arguing, never recognizing the high points and improvements the game has over what it once was - this causes people to get hostile over anyone who comes in quoting the game is dead.

People absolutely should not have to walk on eggshells to just state an opinion. But if you're going to come in and just constantly be straight up negative, you're not helping the situation either and either need to stop it, or leave (I'm not going to name any names). Either way, there's no excuse for the straight up bickering and negativity on both sides. It's incredibly toxic and helps no one.